Star Wars : Rogue One

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Of all the things to nitpick, attacking technical consistency is the most laughable when it comes to Star Wars. This is a Sci Fi world where space ships maneuver like WW2 fighter planes, psychic dudes with laser swords take on entire armies of well armed soldiers with ease, and building a planet killing gun with magical space crystals is somehow a better way to kill planets than tractor beaming asteroids into them. Its not a hard science setting.

Having said that, one thing that has been consistently shown in the SW universe is that it is ludicrously easy to hack nearly anything. Droids are routinely overcoming all manner of security protocols in nearly every movie, even hacking each other at times. Given this, having a massive archive where none of the information is connected to any sort of computer network is actually one of the more plausible parts of the science in this movie. We do the same thing in the real world, today (see "Air Separation" in IT security) so in a world where any bargain bin droid can rape your top network security, having the important shit in giant thumb drives off the grid makes total sense.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
tenor.gif

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
I really liked it. I busted out laughing when that rebel soldier yelled "Fire!" at Dark Vader.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
The ending was so good that it actually makes the original movie better.

It shores up ANH in a lot of ways. As several have mentioned it addresses in a satisfying way one of the oldest criticisms of the original movie; the exhaust port and why it was there. It also adds meaning to Leia's appeal to Obi-Wan about it being the Rebellion's "most desperate hour". When presented with the knowledge that The Empire has a new planet destroying weapon at it's disposal, instead of coalescing around an effort to do something about it, the Rebellion is starting to fracture with some speaking openly of disbanding their efforts entirely. It shows us why Luke was given the call sign Red Five in ANH (Red Five died in the Battle of Scarif). It just goes on and on like that.

Whether you like Rogue One, love it, or hate it one thing is undeniable; it has all the signs of being made with a lot of love and reverence shown towards Lucas' original work.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
My only real complaint is, and I may have missed it, but when do 3po & R2 get on board Leia's ship? Last we saw the both of them is when everyone was leaving Yavin to support the attack and they were only in the hangar.

• 1Like

Porkchop

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Bronze Donator>
I really thought I would like this movie more than I did. Scarif was mostly good but the rest of the movie kind of dragged for me. Needed more Vader and a lot less K-2SO. I was also a little surprised how many things were in the trailer that werent in the movie. 6/10

• 1Like

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
My only real complaint is, and I may have missed it, but when do 3po & R2 get on board Leia's ship? Last we saw the both of them is when everyone was leaving Yavin to support the attack and they were only in the hangar.

It was simply implied that they were going to board the Tantive IV before they leave. When we see Threepio discussing Scarif with Artoo, some fighter pilots are gearing up and preparing for take off, it's assumed they joined Captain Antilles and his crew in the following minutes.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Plus with their council divided they took some big losses to the fleet just getting to the plans after their most seasoned and dedicated troops ran off on a suicide mission, leaving them to rely on any random farmboy to assault the actual Death Star. (the survivors of which go on to form.. dun dun.. Rogue Squadron)

Vader watching the hidden Tantive IV slip away. It just keeps happening to the poor guy.

I expected him to tease the director about the Death Star just being a giant piece of cheese to Vader to bookend his lecture to Tarkin in ANH. "don't choke on your aspirations", ugh. But we already knew he gave no fucks when he let the Falcon lead him to the rebel base.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
Instead of stating how you don't like the movie, which is totally fine, you come here and insult others for liking it as if your authoritah matters to anyone but you.

" Gavinmad Gavinmad and Daezuel Daezuel didn't like Rogue One?! Holy shit that changes everything"

You are blatantly trolling and looking for a reaction. I will not my waste my time again. Act normal get a normal reply. Act like a dumbass get treated like one. You're tame, bros. Step it up.

My apologies for derailing. On to Star Wars.
I really thought I would like this movie more than I did. Scarif was mostly good but the rest of the movie kind of dragged for me. Needed more Vader and a lot less K-2SO. I was also a little surprised how many things were in the trailer that werent in the movie. 6/10
See? Normal.

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
My only real nitpick:

Why was Leila actually at the battle of Scarif? It's heavily implied, if not outright stated, that Bail knew she was Vader's daughter based on the ending events of episode III. So she had no business being that close to the actual battlefront other than it was convenient to bridge Rogue One to ANH

It's not a big nitpick but it's something that stood out to me.

• 1Like

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Instead of stating how you don't like the movie, which is totally fine, you come here and insult others for liking it as if your authoritah matters to anyone but you.

" Gavinmad Gavinmad and Daezuel Daezuel didn't like Rogue One?! Holy shit that changes everything"

You are blatantly trolling and looking for a reaction. I will not my waste my time again. Act normal get a normal reply. Act like a dumbass get treated like one. You're tame, bros. Step it up.

My apologies for derailing. On to Star Wars.

See? Normal.
That's funny, because I don't remember insulting anyone in my first post. I posted why I thought the movie was poorly conceived and executed and that I couldn't believe people were eating this shit up then you come in and insult both Gav and I about unrelated shit that makes zero sense. I then replied to Miquex's insult because at least that mother fucker tried to stay on topic.

I came here to give my opinion on this movie, I did, you didn't like it because you're a fucking retard.

At least Royal came in with a well thought out response. I'm not so sure how much the book should be allowed to forgive mistakes made in the movie but what he said at least makes a little more sense. Regardless, he's still a whiny administrator and easily the worst Star Wars villain of the movies and he didn't even try to refute that point.

I think it's ok to have enjoyed yourself in the movie, heck I enjoyed parts of it.

The Darth Vader scenes were of course money. Who doesn't want to see a hallway fight with Vader owning bitches? Some of the callbacks to the original made me chuckle as well, like seeing Red 5 go down. I also thought Tarkin was reasonably well done.

I'll bow out of the circle jerk if it's upsetting you this much though. If this Michael Bay worthy effort is what you think is up to snuff then we're fucking doomed to a lot more Star Wars mediocrity.

• 1Like

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Trust Daez to know mediocrity when he sees it. As a long time Rams fan he is an expert on the subject.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I think it is interesting that we have this film as well as 'Logan' coming out soon. I think this represents a new generation or evolution of "genre" movies. Time was we'd be lucky to get any sort of space opera or super hero title, but now we have a sufficient density of offerings that studios are willing to branch out and have different types of stories.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
What we know of Logan is a giant wtf because of the stated timeline being just a few years after the end of DOFP. Kind of a fuck you to that whole timeline reboot considering what a favor it did for the POS Wolverine: Origins.

But this + ANH feels like a 4 hour movie where everyone you know dies halfway in.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Prequels suffer from a lessened feeling of suspense because you already have a general idea of how things are going to turn out. That problem is far worse when you try to shoehorn something between two movies. The general irrelevance of Rebels to the overall Star Wars stories is how it actually remains interesting. The show is basically just a collection of cameos and references to the movies woven together into an engaging story.

Rogue One would have been better as a 15 minute short in the vein of Final Flight of the Osiris. Turning this tiny bit of Star Wars story into a standalone movie is like stretching the Hobbit into three separate movies.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Prequels suffer from a lessened feeling of suspense because you already have a general idea of how things are going to turn out. That problem is far worse when you try to shoehorn something between two movies. The general irrelevance of Rebels to the overall Star Wars stories is how it actually remains interesting. The show is basically just a collection of cameos and references to the movies woven together into an engaging story.

Rogue One would have been better as a 15 minute short in the vein of Final Flight of the Osiris. Turning this tiny bit of Star Wars story into a standalone movie is like stretching the Hobbit into three separate movies.
You're more hopeless than I am.

• 1Solidarity