Star Wars : Rogue One

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Ok so here is a question. If this movie wasn't Star Wars. It was just some movie same plot and characters would anyone think it's still good?

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Ok so here is a question. If this movie wasn't Star Wars. It was just some movie same plot and characters would anyone think it's still good?

It's a silly question really.

If you take away the Star Wars label and strip out all of the trappings and indications of it being a part of that franchise eliminating all of the context and motivations that inherently come with that and replace it with ... nothing? Of course it wouldn't be any good. That's one of the strengths of a unified movie setting and a reason why you create them in the first place.

Replace it with something, we just don't know what? Who the hell could know until you see what that something is and how well it works in the finished product? No one really could.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
I think it's a very valid question.

If this was simply a science fiction movie with a close proximity to the same characters and story people would fucking hate it. The pacing was shit, the characters were forgettable. The movie should be able to stand on it's own, if it can't do that then it shouldn't exist.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
The movie should be able to stand on it's own, if it can't do that then it shouldn't exist.

Really ... why not?

I mean if you're saying that it's a bad thing for a movie to be so reliant on information that exists in other formats like books, tv shows, historical events, etc. that someone who has no knowledge of that information can't follow the movie's plot or understand the motivations of it's characters then I might agree with you.

But if you're asserting that a film which is part of an existing series of interconnected movies should be every bit as enjoyable to a person who has never seen any of the previous installments as it is to a person who has then you're just wrong. It's advantageous when movies in a series don't have to set up some of the same things over and over again and can rely on an understanding and appreciation of the shared setting to provide shortcuts, even if those shortcuts are lost on the uninitiated.

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
I think it's a very valid question.

If this was simply a science fiction movie with a close proximity to the same characters and story people would fucking hate it. The pacing was shit, the characters were forgettable. The movie should be able to stand on it's own, if it can't do that then it shouldn't exist.

If you apply the same logic to the Marvel movies after each hero's origin movie, you have the same result. That's why there is such a thing as a franchise, so you don't HAVE to do a story from beginning to end in a single movie and people can take some things for granted or common knowledge and you can go in other directions.

They didn't spend the first 30 minutes of every Alien movie explaining how aliens work or who Ripley is. They didn't reintroduce Jack Sparrow in every Pirates movie. Star Wars has been a part of near global culture for 40 years, it's pretty obvious that people will go see a movie BECAUSE it is more Star Wars, because they crave to see more of a universe they enjoy.

I'm not sure what's hard to understand about this. I think you're just trying to convince people that the movie you didn't like was bad, so it validates your opinion more I guess? But it's fine, you are free to dislike it, you don't have to prove to us how we have terrible taste in movies.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Yeah and Aliens is a movie that stands on it's own but whatever you fucking faggots will eat shit and pretend it's ice cream you do it over and over. You deserve shitty movies get fucked you retarded American Inventors who cant understand basic shit. I bet you are first in line at Trasnformers 43 too, fucking spoilsions and bright lights is all I need. Goddamn it's pointless to even try and debate the merits of simple shit when you cunts cant get past OMG STARWARS.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Yeah and Aliens is a movie that stands on it's own but whatever you fucking faggots will eat shit and pretend it's ice cream you do it over and over. You deserve shitty movies get fucked you retarded Obama-sons who cant understand basic shit. I bet you are first in line at Trasnformers 43 too, fucking spoilsions and bright lights is all I need. Goddamn it's pointless to even try and debate the merits of simple shit when you cunts cant get past OMG STARWARS.
Don't compare the glorious Transformers movies to this shit fest.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Thats exactly my sentiment I was actually confused about some of the hate toward that final Vader scene. All I heard for years was about how Vader did jack shit when it came to actually being a menace via fucking dudes up in Ep 4.

They obviously went out of their way to display that and quell that very gripe, and now people are reducing it to fan service. It is fan service, but it was also fucking awesome. Like I said one of the best 90 seconds or so in the entire Star Wars saga. They really conveyed Vaders stregnth both with the ease of which he was maneuvering his saber but the way he utilized his force throws, grabs and chokes. Just a really sick portrayal of badassery when it comes to force power and overall devastating attack potential of a skilled saber user.
The whole film was just there to service some depraved population.

The retards that for 40yrs, "EMPIRE MADE A BIG BALL WITH A MIGHTY FLAW, HAR HAR"

The SJW retards with every fucking minority, wouldn't surprise me if they did a pre pre quel and the chinamen were lovers, and the reason why Donnie Yen was blind, was to escape hatred

The retards that said Vader just walks around angry and doesn't do shit

I heard a podcast with the head writer and he basically said, it's a love story, a story of how a father's love saved the world.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Well it only worked because the one Star Destroyer had been fucked up with Ion torpedoes and lost all power / shields etc. At that point it was just a big chunk of metal that they shoved into the other Star Destroyer.

Jive Turkey

Karen
Yeah and Aliens is a movie that stands on it's own but whatever you fucking faggots will eat shit and pretend it's ice cream you do it over and over. You deserve shitty movies get fucked you retarded Obama-sons who cant understand basic shit. I bet you are first in line at Trasnformers 43 too, fucking spoilsions and bright lights is all I need. Goddamn it's pointless to even try and debate the merits of simple shit when you cunts cant get past OMG STARWARS.

two guys respond to your question reasonably, but since you didn't like the answers, you flip out like a mongoloid. Fucking halfwit

Last edited:

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Finished watching. It was... Not very good.

Quick question: did they ever tell us why that defecting imperial cargo pilot was helping Hannibal Lector smuggle a message?

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Finished watching. It was... Not very good.

Quick question: did they ever tell us why that defecting imperial cargo pilot was helping Hannibal Lector smuggle a message?

I think they said that he believed in the Cause, or hated the Empire.

I don't know. I saw this pretty buzzed and enjoyed it because I pictured it as a sci-fi war movie not a star wars movie.