Star Wars : Rogue One

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
That first light speed trip took a little over 5 minutes of screen time and even if you're generous it seemed like the whole thing took less than half an hour of actual time. And if they didn't have necessary exposition to insert into that point of the movie it probably would have been presented as even less than that. But it didn't matter because no one knew how far apart any one place was from another back then. It wasn't until later that Alderaan used to be half way across the galaxy from Tatooine. And it was never dealt with any differently in the next 5 movies. It's pretty much a house rule of the movie setting at this point.

Even if there hadn't been exposition to get through there was enough time for Obi-Wan to start teaching Luke the basics of handling a lightsaber. They made it very clear that time had passed. And it doesn't fucking matter how much time passed between the weapon firing and reaching it's target, because a weapon that can destroy multiple planet sized objects in a single shot from halfway across the galaxy is one of the dumbest fucking things I've ever seen in a sci-fi movie. It's dumber than the fucking fourth dimensional bookcase inside the black hole in Interstellar. Pretty sure there has never been a more ridiculous super-weapon in the history of the science fiction genre.

Abrams is just total shit as a director and everyone should dread the possibility of him being given the chance to ruin yet another beloved IP.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Even if there hadn't been exposition to get through there was enough time for Obi-Wan to start teaching Luke the basics of handling a lightsaber. They made it very clear that time had passed. And it doesn't fucking matter how much time passed between the weapon firing and reaching it's target, because a weapon that can destroy multiple planet sized objects in a single shot from halfway across the galaxy is one of the dumbest fucking things I've ever seen in a sci-fi movie. It's dumber than the fucking fourth dimensional bookcase inside the black hole in Interstellar. Pretty sure there has never been a more ridiculous super-weapon in the history of the science fiction genre.

Abrams is just total shit as a director and everyone should dread the possibility of him being given the chance to ruin yet another beloved IP.

Yes

To be honest I haven't even seen this movie yet, I don't even know if I have the drive to at this point before it hits Netflix. If they made new stories I would have given it a shot but I don't give two shits about yet another "turn one line of expository dialogue into fan service cgi fest" movie.

I tend to agree with the stuff RLM puts out about movies so when they reviewed this I changed my plans to see it in theaters. Even the woman didn't care and she's more "non analytical pure nostalgia fan" than I am. I still may get dragged to see it but honestly I'm wondering if that will sour my feelings on TFA and the forthcoming 8/9, may not be a good decision.

Star Wars to me was always a character drama, even the people who like this movie say it had shitty underdeveloped characters. Guess that makes it a pretty simple choice.

Last edited:

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures

I like how you decided to quote my post before gnashing your teeth some more over Starkiller Base but omitted the part of it where I said it was a bridge too far.

• 1Like

Caliane

Finished watching. It was... Not very good.

Quick question: did they ever tell us why that defecting imperial cargo pilot was helping Hannibal Lector smuggle a message?
Galen Urso convinced him to. He was on the fence/conscripted like most/many working for the Empire. He learned of what they were doing, building the Deathstar. probably from Urso, its not specified. but was specified that he did know Urso personally, and Urso had encouraged him to do whats right.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Galen Urso convinced him to. He was on the fence/conscripted like most/many working for the Empire. He learned of what they were doing, building the Deathstar. probably from Urso, its not specified. but was specified that he did know Urso personally, and Urso had encouraged him to do whats right.

They should've had a scene with Bodhi talking with Jyn about her father. Telling her why he was such a great man and why he defected because of him.

Missed character building opportunities.

Royal

Bodhi is also from Jedha though I'm not sure if that was mentioned. He was a bit of a spaz and I missed some of his dialog. I believe he also said something about a sense of debt and that it would be made good if he helped Galen.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
They should've had a scene with Bodhi talking with Jyn about her father. Telling her why he was such a great man and why he defected because of him.

Missed character building opportunities.
Missed opportunity to imply gay interracial sex

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I think it's a very valid question.

If this was simply a science fiction movie with a close proximity to the same characters and story people would fucking hate it. The pacing was shit, the characters were forgettable. The movie should be able to stand on it's own, if it can't do that then it shouldn't exist.

I agree with the others that your premise is stupid, but even if it were a standalone movie, it's still good Sci-Fi. Not as good as it actually is, and it would suffer a lot from the apparent pilfering of concepts from Star wars, but it would still be good. Are you not a fan of Sci-Fi anthologies? Because without the back story that's basically what you have here.

Now if you wanna drop it into another beloved sci-fi universe, like Ice Pirates or Star Trek, then we're back up to it probably being a great movie.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
I agree with the others that your premise is stupid, but even if it were a standalone movie, it's still good Sci-Fi. Not as good as it actually is, and it would suffer a lot from the apparent pilfering of concepts from Star wars, but it would still be good. Are you not a fan of Sci-Fi anthologies? Because without the back story that's basically what you have here.

Now if you wanna drop it into another beloved sci-fi universe, like Ice Pirates or Star Trek, then we're back up to it probably being a great movie.

Big Phoenix already posted a video showing why this was shit. It you moronic faggots don't understand why a movie needs to develop story and character then you deserve the bad movies as I said. You fucking dipshits keep repeating this

sticker,375x360.png

Well guess what you fucking imbecile having character development, an actual story that matters, and a reason to watch this shit is what would make a good movie. Considering it was meant to be as a fucking offset and not even a part of the major plot line is all the more reason it should stand on it's own. There is no reason to even try and have a debate about it when you fucking rere's can't grasp even the most basic of concepts. Look at the fucking poster and read it. Rouge One - A Star Wars Story. That implies that there would be a fucking story.

But to sum it up one more time Keg is right Trasnformers was better than this bag of shit and you pieces of shit deserve bad movies. "Herp Derp, why should a movie stand on it's own" are you fucking kidding me.

rogueone_onesheeta_1000_309ed8f6.jpe

if this wasnt star wars they would of shit all over it

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I like how you decided to quote my post before gnashing your teeth some more over Starkiller Base but omitted the part of it where I said it was a bridge too far.

The part of your post I left out isn't relevant to my teeth gnashing. I'm not saying you thought Starkiller Base was fine, I'm saying that even if they had addressed the travel time of the weapon, it doesn't change the fact that the very weapon itself is completely retarded.

• 1Like

Royal

I'm not saying you thought Starkiller Base was fine, I'm saying that even if they had addressed the travel time of the weapon, it doesn't change the fact that the very weapon itself is completely retarded.

What I was talking about there had nothing to do with salvaging Starkiller Base as a concept.

Siliconemelons

IMO in TFA they should have failed @ destroying starkiller base and lost han - they REALLY need Luke...

but now its "Yo luke, we found u broz- the rebelz need ur hellrrp"
"Why? is there a great menace to the galaxy?"
"No, we just blew that shit up... but there is an angsty teen thinking hes vader"

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
What they're going to need is to make another useless Star Wars movie between 6 and 7 now to explain why these idiots keep building bigger and bigger planet killing weapons and still for some reason built in a huge flaw that allowed the rebels to destroy it.

*and maybe explain how they have the kind of money and time to waste on this dumb shit they know is going to get blown up after the first two experiences. The real evil in the galaxy is the waste of resources.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
What they're going to need is to make another useless Star Wars movie between 6 and 7 now to explain why these idiots keep building bigger and bigger planet killing weapons and still for some reason built in a huge flaw that allowed the rebels to destroy it.

*and maybe explain how they have the kind of money and time to waste on this dumb shit they know is going to get blown up after the first two experiences. The real evil in the galaxy is the waste of resources.

Actually this has been covered already. Fucking 2:27 time and still a better story than Rogue One

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Well galactic loans, that would explain why they want a planet killing weapon. They'd never have to pay the loans back!

Begun, the Loan Wars have.

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm

Planetary destruction would be extremely useful in galactic politics, probably the equivalent of nuclear weapons today. And I imagine, despite the massive resources sunk into such esoteric weapons, once you have one up and running it is probably a shitload cheaper to just blast a recalcitrant planet to smithereens rather than attempt to garrison it, shield it, have your orbital defenses/fleets set up, etc.