Star Wars : Rogue One

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
My understanding is this is a horror movie where the rebels steal the deathstar plans and then Vadar comes and kills them all while they manage to just barely keep the plans away from him.

That was a movie I would have gladly gone and saw.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Darth Vader destroyed the planet of the Azns IV, cuz somehow this pre-prequel movie has 3 asians in it. And the remnants of that planet became a general, a xwing pilot and some space thugs in episode vii.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Tell that to Kanjiklub.

147788-30568-0.jpg

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
Tell that to Kanjiklub.

When I first heard Rogue One was going to be directed by Gareth Edwards, for some reason I mistook it for being directed by Gareth Evans. I was looking forward to seeing Iko Uwais escaping with the plans while slicing his way down through floor after floor of Stormtroopers.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Guys, our movie about a suicide mission starring a group of vastly underpowered rebels is too much of a downer. Let's add in some CGI aliens and maybe some poop jokes.

Fadaar

That guy
Apparently it was too much like a war movie which wasn't what the execs or the test audience expected from a Star Wars film. The new scenes will "lighten then mood, bring some levity into the story and restore a sense of fun to the adventure".
The fuck? It being a war movie is exactly what I expected and wanted. There's nothing happy about what goes on between episode 3 and 4. I was expecting this to be a dark movie with very little fun moments, maybe a few jokes to lighten the mood here and there but nothing goofy. Sigh...

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
This is word for word the same kind of article that was written about Suicide Squad a few weeks ago, just replaced the words Suicide Squad with Rogue One. I would take it with a huge pinch of salt.

Siliconemelons

Guys, our movie about a suicide mission starring a group of vastly underpowered rebels is too much of a downer. Let's add in some CGI aliens and maybe some poop jokes.
Disney Executive VP of somefukerry "You know... the death star plans allowed the rebels to actually strike back at the empire... it was a big moment... we need to add a character that can draw the viewers in emotionally, maybe it can be a huge redemption for this character... they can be the pivotal player in this doomed task force that comes in, wins it all but sacrifices himself- in his own way trying to make up for causing a huge problem in his own dark past... perhaps he caused it all... JARJAR!"

Disney underling Associate VP of someotherfukkery "OH YES BRILLIANT!"

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
The second Star Wars movie, arc or not, cannot be too dark. The universe just got back to us. They need at least one more middle ground movie before branching to grim.

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Disney had the chance to make a movie staring the greatest villain of all time in his prime Darth Vader if they manage to fuck that up I'm going to laugh.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
My understanding is this is a horror movie where the rebels steal the deathstar plans and then Vadar comes and kills them all while they manage to just barely keep the plans away from him.

That was a movie I would have gladly gone and saw.
That actually does sound pretty awesome.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
The second Star Wars movie, arc or not, cannot be too dark. The universe just got back to us. They need at least one more middle ground movie before branching to grim.
I've been hoping that the anthology movies would be allowed to gradually grow the Star Wars box out beyond it's well established parameters, so I was very much looking forward to a Rogue One that had a genuine war movie feel to it.

With that being said what you've touched on probably is a part of what is driving this decision. We already know that the next core saga film is going to be darker than TFA was and they're probably wanting to avoid going to that well twice in a row with the franchise. Rogue One would have been better served had they let Kasdan do his Solo movie as the first anthology film and waited until after the core saga trilogy was finished to do a Private Ryan/Star Wars mashup.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
I've been hoping that the anthology movies would be allowed to gradually grow the Star Wars box out beyond it's well established parameters, so I was very much looking forward to a Rogue One that had a genuine war movie feel to it.

With that being said what you've touched on probably is a part of what is driving this decision. We already know that the next core saga film is going to be darker than TFA was and they're probably wanting to avoid going to that well twice in a row with the franchise. Rogue One would have been better served had they let Kasdan do his Solo movie as the first anthology film and waited until after the core saga trilogy was finished to do a Private Ryan/Star Wars mashup.
Yeah this movie could have been done at any point in time. Unless it drops some knowledge for the new trilogy. But meh.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Why? You speak in absolutes with no reasoning whatsoever. Back up your bold claims with something substantiative.

Nitpicky I know, but I don't agree at all. It's a huge property thateveryoneis plenty familiar with at this point. There's no need to spoon-feed us kiddie stuff for years before getting to the deeper/darker stuff. Though I am open to have my mind changed as I don't feel that strongly on the subject.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Why? You speak in absolutes with no reasoning whatsoever. Back up your bold claims with something substantiative.

Nitpicky I know, but I don't agree at all. It's a huge property thateveryoneis plenty familiar with at this point. There's no need to spoon-feed us kiddie stuff for years before getting to the deeper/darker stuff. Though I am open to have my mind changed asI don't feel that strongly on the subject.