Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I thought of it being converting Luke or dying trying too. I think this whole movie will kind of revolve around looking for Luke, Kylo for his reasons and the good guys for theirs.

Zignor 3_sl

shitlord
So was there anything new shown on ABC? I thought there was supposed to be a special or something, but it looked like they were just running normal shows, so I guess it was something they snuck in during a commercial.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Please don't hate me. I watched Star Wars 4-6 once like a decade ago, and am re-watching them again now to get ready for the new movie. A couple of questions:

1. Luke and Leia, supposedly Lucas didn't write them to brother and sister till Episode 6, right? That explains the kisses and romantic attraction, etc. Just a fuckup. But, in 5 when Luke leaves Yoda's planet, Yoda and Obi Wan say "He's our only hope", and then the other one says "There is one other..." Are they referring to Leia as being another possible hope if Luke fails? If so, isn't that showing that they planned on them being siblings at that point? (Also, kind of makes you care less about Luke if they're saying "ah, fuck it, if he fails there's still someone else.")

2. Why are we so sure that Darth Vader is a bad guy? I see a guy who enforces the law, squashes disobedient rebels, and is innovating with technology (Death Star.) Why do we hate him?
smile.png

(It's kinda funny the intensive Jedi training consists solely of standing on your head and levitating random objects. - I'm just starting Ep 6 so forgive me if there's more to it than that! I am enjoying the hell out of these and am pumped up for Ep 7! Was also surprised the exact phrase "Luke, I am your father" is not in the movie.)
1. The early Luke/Leia kiss wasn't really a passionate one enough to be super creepy, but enough to establish that there was a tension there which was later broken by the realization of their relationship. The real romantic tension in the whole movie is Han and Leia, that's pretty obvious. I think they had the sibling thing in mind when writing the script for ESB, they set it up throughout. In the first movie the sibling and the Vader-the-father aspects weren't apparent or even intended, I think that was shoehorned in to make it a trilogy.

And its not that they don't care if Luke fails just because there's another. At the time Yoda felt Luke was being reckless and hadn't been trained enough. They were hopeful, but he wasn't the ONLY hope. I'm not sure ghost Obi even knew about Leia at that point, it sounded like Yoda had the inside scoop on that alone. (Prequels be damned.) They were also scared shitless that Luke might fall to the dark side, so it was a bit of an apprehensive moment...but at least there's still Leia!

2. We've turned this whole thing into something far more complex and full of mostly perceived/contrived nuances that were simply never intended. FFS Luke and Leia wear white and Vader wears black. Lucas got the idea for this shit largely from Kurosawa samurai movies and famously said he was inspired by Joseph Campbell's "The Power of Myth" to create a fairy tale for a modern generation for whom the old Brothers Grimm stuff had grown antiquated. The whole thing was originally designed as a very simplistic good guy/bad guy space cowboys and indians sort of motif for elementary school kids. So under the relentless scrutiny of the geekdom gaze, it kind of falls apart like that.

(The rest of the training is generally implied I'd say, you have to just suspend disbelief for some shit you know.)

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So was there anything new shown on ABC? I thought there was supposed to be a special or something, but it looked like they were just running normal shows, so I guess it was something they snuck in during a commercial.
If its the commercial someone just posted its really short and lame. More like a snippet ad than a trailer or even teaser.

iannis

Musty Nester
Extermination of the jedi, resurgence of the dark side, domination of the empire, there are many choices.
Yeah, all of those things are valid choices. It's just that as the viewer we know that Vader didn't start any of it. He didn't even initiate turning Luke... his boss told him to. Vader was a biiiiiiitch*.

But Kylo prolly doesn't know any of that and thinks that Vader was the driving core behind Imperial Rule.

*who would occasionally force choke lesser bitches.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
He's a sith villain. He's acting in anger and hatred, if he'd thought the shit out rationally to this degree, he wouldn't be evil!

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
Better than that though. Storm troopers with Force Staffs! I guess they must all be trained to use them as rumored.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Yeah, all of those things are valid choices. It's just that as the viewer we know that Vader didn't start any of it. He didn't even initiate turning Luke... his boss told him to. Vader was a biiiiiiitch*.
There is one thing that Vader did initiate; turning Luke to the dark side. The Emperor wanted him to eliminate Luke initially. Turning him was Vader's idea and the Emperor signed off on it.

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
"You might need this..." Thats pretty much calling the homerun to center field.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Better than that though. Storm troopers with Force Staffs! I guess they must all be trained to use them as rumored.
I've seen someone mention (might have been here, can't remember) that the Knights of Ren use vibro blades instead of light sabers. Is that what that was?

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
"You might need this..."
Ok this shit is starting to look corny now. That's like the most dialog we've seen yet and Han's is some fan service "look at him being cocky and funny!" stuff. Also I'm starting to think the black dude is going to be a way better actor than the chick. Based on like less than ten words between them and all!

And that Tie Fighter blast would have killed both of them WTFFFF!!!!!! /nerdrage

I've seen someone mention (might have been here, can't remember) that the Knights of Ren use vibro blades instead of light sabers. Is that what that was?
Yeah, its gotta be.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Till now, I'm fine with everything i have seen.
Just hope there are no mentions about anything from the prequels.