Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Well I for one definitely felt like 6 year old me watching RotJ in the theater again. That alone made this worth it for me.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Grandchild or great grandchild.
Possible, although it doesn't really jive with Rey's seeming lead hero standing. Normally the ties are much closer...but if they expound on the backstory enough, I could buy it.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
I don't think this movie took a single moment to breathe and that's my biggest complaint. By the time Han's big moment comes around we've already had 14 action sequences. There wasn't any emotional weight to something that should have been devastating. The pacing was off. I think it's a valid complaint.

That doesn't mean I didn't enjoy the film. I did.

I don't think any Star Wars film is some defining moment in cinema, but I do think Empire falls under a "legitimately good movie" category. Not something that should win awards, but a good movie. A New Hope deserves credit for it's imagination and creativity. The new one for its characters and acting.

I don't think any of the complaints are invalid. Nor do I think too many people here really disliked it. It's just valid criticism by a bunch of nerds.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Skipping by all the rage and tears - As i am not to "hip" on star wars like some of you - wasnt it implied that one of the Jedi (i forget which) learned to speak from beyond or some shit - i think it was after revenge of the sith? To me it seemed like Rey had been being guided since she was young and at some point left behind. I didnt grasp all the flashback scenes but she had some serious desire to return to that shit planet awaiting something or someone - It all kept making me remember that young shitty Anakin from episode one tho.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Actually the first Star Wars IS a defining moment in cinema. Look at cinema before Star Wars and after. The overall production values and general character of cinema changes immediately after Star Wars took the planet by storm in 1977-78. Remember that this film stayed in first run theaters for over a calendar year! We may be used to the whole look and feel of Star Wars now because it seems very similar to current movies, but if you look even one year earlier or any of the movies that were in release at that same time and you will get an appreciation for how truly radical it was.

Column_sl

shitlord
It's really tough now to have anything defining in Cinema since our tech is at such a high level right now.

The one's in our generation would have been the Matrix, and Avatar's mocap redefining what people were doing in that area.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Loved the movie, only quibble is with Kylo being introduced as super power level Dark side badass, then the wut moment when he takes off his helm and throws little tantrums, then the really wut moment when he get's his ass kicked. No way someone with years of training get's his ass kicked like that, injury or not. I'll just tell myself he held back fighting her because he didn't want to kill her for reasons mentioned in the thread.

I'm calling the series will have a long slow redemption arc for Kylo and a long slow corruption arc for Ren and we'll end up with a fight between the two at the end but Kylo will be light and Ren will be dark. Ren's abandonment issues will set her down the path of the dark side.
I don't see why everyone though kylo was a super bad ass. he is a 20-25 year old punk who is trying to walk in his grandfathers shoes and is quit clearly not measuring up. So he force held a blaster and acted all spooky to a bunch of villagers. You can see it in the way the others talk to him and he has his only little cry moment talking to Pops old Helmet. He is basically attack of the clones Anakin if turned early and not give much attention by the emp after the turning.

Anyone else think Snoke looked way too much like gollum? I mean the CGI more than the face stuff done by Andy. I would have preferred another dark hood over a twisted hobbit.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Saw it Friday night. Been quiet trying to catch up on the opinions of those here. No one cares, but here are my thoughts.
Your 5 year old son wants his 3 year old sister to be Yoda. Cool story bro
smile.png

Saw this on Sunday and as a lifelong Star Wars fan... the movie was meh.

Better than the prequels? Yeah, for the most part, but that's not a high bar.

Let's see, the good parts that stood out: Good CGI and cinematography. Loved that the effects didn't detract from the experience or storyline, unlike the prequels. The acting from the newcomers was also much better than expected, and the new characters were likable. And it brought back a lot of details and references to the original trilogy

Now, maybe it's because I was a Star Wars nut, but there were a lot of things "missing" from the movie. First of... did we really need to basically copy A New Hope? Droid with secret info in the desert, meets Force-sensitive local, wise/legendary old man sacrifices self, Death Star/world destroyer weapon, underdog rebels...

Second, the pacing was a bit too fast. It was just action scene after action scene

If the prequels had one good thing going for them, it was that the *world* was built up. The politics annoyed a lot of people, but you quite clearly understood by Episode 3 what was going on - the manipulation and machinations of Palpatine, the zealously blind Jedi Order, the creation of the Empire, etc.

This movie... I was constantly wondering. What the fuck happened in the past 30 years - why is the New Republic so weak, why is the First Order suddenly able to build Starkiller Base, why is the Resistance basically back to ANH levels of power, etc. I felt very little attachment to the overall story because there was nothing really tying me to any of the stories except for the fact that they were original characters from the original trilogy.

It's like they fixed all the problems with the prequels (cheesy CGI, too much politics, etc.) but then went too far and cut out what redeeming factors the prequels did have (the world building for one) and simply rehashed ANH

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
It's really tough now to have anything defining in Cinema since our tech is at such a high level right now.

The one's in our generation would have been the Matrix, and Avatar's mocap redefining what people were doing in that area.
You can also add Toy Story for redefining animated features.

Royal

So he force held a blaster and acted all spooky to a bunch of villagers. You can see it in the way the others talk to him and he has his only little cry moment talking to Pops old Helmet.
I do think that having him suspend that blaster shot oversold him as an up and coming dark side bad ass. It looked awesome and was something that probably sounded kewl as shit in a production meeting but it was outside of the realm of what they seemed to be going for with his overall presentation. Even Vader only deflected shots with his hand.

Royal

Deadline|Hollywood -Monday 12:42PM Final: Disney has finalized the official opening all-time record for Star Wars: The Force Awakens at $247.97M. Disney chief Bob Iger was floating a $247M figure in his Bloomberg interview, so this afternoon's actual is just slightly ahead of it. Earlier this morning, industry projections showed Force Awakens at $248.5M-$250.3M.

I still doubt it passes Avatar for the full run record.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
"The Dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural..." There was always a promise that 'Sith magic' was much more interesting than what we actually saw on the screen. It is worth noting that the whole scene with Palpatine and Anakin in the opera booth is probably my favorite part of episode III.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I don't see why everyone though kylo was a super bad ass. he is a 20-25 year old punk who is trying to walk in his grandfathers shoes and is quit clearly not measuring up. So he force held a blaster and acted all spooky to a bunch of villagers. You can see it in the way the others talk to him and he has his only little cry moment talking to Pops old Helmet. He is basically attack of the clones Anakin if turned early and not give much attention by the emp after the turning.

Anyone else think Snoke looked way too much like gollum? I mean the CGI more than the face stuff done by Andy. I would have preferred another dark hood over a twisted hobbit.
I stayed spoiler free so I had no idea who was casted as Kylo, so ya, that first village scene set me up to think he was pretty badass. Even through the rage attacks and vader scene I was still thinking he had a pretty high power level, with the mind reading and shit. I didn't start to rethink his badassness until he took his helmet off and started giving off emo pussy vibes. I chalked up the way other talked to him as similar to the way some of the generals talked to vador.

I didn't think of gollum until reading this thread after seeing the movie, but ya, now that it's mentioned he did. I think they're doing no robe and shit because he's not going to be associated with sith stuff. Probably going to be a whole different dark side spin.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

Actually, I would say Fury Road and for the opposite reason of taking a step in the opposite direction and using more practical effects. Matrix was definitely a movie that changed the industry in its time, though, as was Fellowship of the Ring.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I didn't think of gollum until reading this thread after seeing the movie, but ya, now that it's mentioned he did. I think they're doing no robe and shit because he's not going to be associated with sith stuff. Probably going to be a whole different dark side spin.
Andy Serkis did the part and I am sure the mocap for it as well. I am in the camp of thinking that he is the wizard of oz thing and actually looks completely different, with the hologram being mainly to confuse/intimidate people.

Column_sl

shitlord
Actually, I would say Fury Road and for the opposite reason of taking a step in the opposite direction and using more practical effects. Matrix was definitely a movie that changed the industry in its time, though, as was Fellowship of the Ring.
Fury Road isn't revolutionary by any longshot...

Just stop being dumb.

You can also add Toy Story for redefining animated features.
Definitely Pixar had a huge impact on CGI early

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
Knights of Ren= Nazgul