Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
I can see I have some brothers in my selective amnesia concerning his rocket booster from the prequels.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I can see I have some brothers in my selective amnesia concerning his rocket booster from the prequels.
Thanks for remembering me about one (more) thing i tried to forget.
Next tuconet will be a negative one you rude man.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Saw the movie last week, really enjoyed it. Went in nearly completely blind, only seen one trailer. Saw it in 3D, first time I ever really noticed something coming out of the screen. Usually it just seems to add depth, but that scene where the battleship pointed out, it seemed like I could reach out and touch it.

One issue though. It might have been discussed earlier as I assume others have wondered as well.

I've always thought lightsabres could cut through most things. This is also showed in the movie by Kylo trashed the computer or in the last scene cutting all the trees. However, in the fight with Finn and the stormtrooper with the baton thing, it sparred against it like lightsabre vs lightsabre. Bouncing back with a few sparks. I was meh against that scene. Even though it wasn't wielded by a Jedi, I think the scene would have been more iconic if the stormtrooper did all the tricks to power up that baton only to have it slized in half with the first strike of the lightsabre. To me it really seemed to lower the power level of the sabre, especially considering it was hyped to belong to Luke. Could rather have shown Finn to be surprised by its power and being punched in the face or something if they really wanted that scene with Han to save him.

Only Jar Jar moment for me was when Kylo Ren removed his helmet. Menacing, menacing, menacing, douche.

Give it a solid 8.5/10. Will buy later and most definitely go watch the next one.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Droigan;1360124 said:
I've always thought lightsabres could cut through most things. This is also showed in the movie by Kylo trashed the computer or in the last scene cutting all the trees. However, in the fight with Finn and the stormtrooper with the baton thing, it sparred against it like lightsabre vs lightsabre. Bouncing back with a few sparks. I was meh against that scene. Even though it wasn't wielded by a Jedi, I think the scene would have been more iconic if the stormtrooper did all the tricks to power up that baton only to have it slized in half with the first strike of the lightsabre

The way I looked at it was the Dark Side having found a technology that could combat against lightsabers in melee combat.

Jive Turkey

Karen
There was a bit of discussion on those weapons a bunch of pages back. General Grievous' robot guards use them at the beginning of Episode 3. It had previously been established that sabre proof weapons exists, though you'd be excused to have forgotten about it

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Honestly I think showing Drivers face was a genius move by Abrams.

A lot of people complained about it, but all it did was add to his characters quality in the sense of how he is vulnerable and has the chance to develop and avoid being one dimensional. His emo face being shown allowed viewers to connect with him as a person and not a villian, which again adds to his profile and depth.

If you thought it took away from his menacing...it was supposed to, and it was a job well done.

As far as lightsaber and Finn goes, I thought the battle with the trooper was fine. I like that a vibro weapon was put to use, and Finn performed pretty well overall and lent some credence to him actually surviving for a bit against Kylo.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Honestly I think showing Drivers face was a genius move by Abrams.

A lot of people complained about it, but all it did was add to his characters quality in the sense of how he is vulnerable and has the chance to develop and avoid being one dimensional. His emo face being shown allowed viewers to connect with him as a person and not a villian, which again adds to his profile and depth.

If you thought it took away from his menacing...it was supposed to, and it was a job well done.

As far as lightsaber and Finn goes, I thought the battle with the trooper was fine. I like that a vibro weapon was put to use, and Finn performed pretty well overall and lent some credence to him actually surviving for a bit against Kylo.
You emo, bro?

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
You emo, bro?
Joking aside, I agree with this paragraph about how showing Kylo Ren's face was a great move.

Sure, everyone loves a menacing villain and Driver's face definitely does not make him intimidating, with his glorious Jon Snowesque curls. But the point isn't to make him scary in the movie.

We're shown time and time again that he is not -yet- taken very seriously by his peers, especially General Hux who tells him how it is right in his face. No one did that to Vader and lived to tell the tale.

People complain that he was whiny, even in tears at times. And he was, at times. But that's exactly what runs in the Skywalker family.

Anakin was whiny, if terribly portrayed by Christensen, until he was grievously maimed and put into a suit that basically MADE him scary. Luke WAS whiny, until he grew up and became a non-whiny Jedi. Kylo Ren is whiny, and has not gone through the experiences of either Anakin or Luke, though he does get a pretty badass facial scarring at the end of TFA. I'm sure he'll grow up plenty in the next movies.

Keeping the mask on for the whole movie would have made the character a LOT less memorable, but those moments where he is trying to probe Rey's mind with the Force and suddenly feels HER probing his mind, and digging into his weaknesses, that was very well acted with just a widening of his eyes and a twitch of an eyebrow. Hardly the stuff of Oscars, but still far beyond what people give him credit for, and galaxies beyond the acting we got in the prequels.

Heian

Molten Core Raider
My 6 year old kid wanted to see the new Star Wars. I was waiting to see how the movie was rated age wise here in Canada. I was happy to see that it was rated G (general public). I then got the episode 4-5-6 Blue ray and watched it with her. She really liked the old movies and since she probably watched each of them about 5 times. It was important for me that she know where all of this come from. We went to see the new movie in the theater and she really enjoyed it. I also liked it. It felt a tiny bit as they made a montage of the great stuff from the previous movie but it felt like a good Star Wars movie.

The big question is when should I show her the episode 1-2-3... :p

I'm kinda scared of what they will do next. As much as I liked Avenger I really didn't liked Age of Ultron much. I really hope they do another great movie.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Any day now:

Domestic:

1 Avatar Fox $760,507,625 2009^
2 Star Wars: The Force Awakens BV $742,208,942 2015

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/domestic.htm

Opens in China this Friday.
Analysts are lukewarm on how it'll play out in China but my guess is with the world being more connected now than 15 years ago, China will have a much greater Star Wars turnout than people expect and it should easily take #2 Worldwide, if not #1 eventually.

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
Analysts are lukewarm on how it'll play out in China but my guess is with the world being more connected now than 15 years ago, China will have a much greater Star Wars turnout than people expect and it should easily take #2 Worldwide, if not #1 eventually.
Well they decreased the size of the black man and increased the size of the robot on the poster so it should do great in China now!
rolleyes.png

HUH_sl

shitlord
Asia doesn't give a shit about Star Wars. It was barely the number 1 movie in Japan, opened 2nd in South Korea and 3rd in India. I think they'll be happy if it keeps pace with other blockbusters in China which would put it around 250 million. Then again Furious 7 is the number movie in the Chinese box office at 390 million so who the hell knows, maybe they love Paul Walker or maybe the smog makes them crazy and anything could happen. Titanic is within reach but Avatar seems really unlikely.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Any day now:

Domestic:

1 Avatar Fox $760,507,625 2009^
2 Star Wars: The Force Awakens BV $742,208,942 2015

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/domestic.htm

Opens in China this Friday.
It's more than just the exposure. The Chinese test audiences must not have shown any more enthusiasm now than they did before. Disney is the most disciplined media company in history, they have a monster regionalization group that just sits around and maths up shit like why releases should open two days earlier in France and three weeks later in China. For Frozen they recruited 45 different local pop idols to dub the songs into those 45 languages--including two Chinese ones--because their test audiences predicted how massive the movie was gonna be months earlier.