Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)

Fadaar

That guy
They had two X-wing variants in TFA, original and updated. Would love to see some of the newer fighters.... E-Wings anyone?

khalid

Unelected Mod
Much like the US is getting rid of everything for the F-35, apparently the rebels got rid of everything for the new X-wing. Seems realistic to me!

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Except the X-wing is a highly capable, functional, versatile, proven design tested in battle!

Fadaar

That guy
Yeah khalid your logic is a little flawed... it'd be like them scrapping every other fighter for updated F-15's or F-16's. I'd be ok with that actually. Would provide me with some damn good job opportunities.

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
Give them a full squadron of B-wings with a few A-wings just to cause chaos with their speed and shit would be over quick.

Fadaar

That guy
Nah it'd be more like X-Wing = F-15E (good all around), Y-Wing = A-10, A-Wing = F-16 (smaller and more agile), B-Wing = F-111 is about the only appropriate aircraft from recent times.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They need some D wings to give the New Order a big dose of the D in their exhaust ports!

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Nah it'd be more like X-Wing = F-15E (good all around), Y-Wing = A-10, A-Wing = F-16 (smaller and more agile), B-Wing = F-111 is about the only appropriate aircraft from recent times.
F-111 probably better for B-wing yeah. Isn't the F-15 faster than the 16? That's why I chose it for the A. F-16 being primarily designed as air superiority dogfighter but then used in a variety of roles seemed to match X-wing. You're probably right on those two though, a bit interchangeable comparisons in some ways.

There's no doubt the Y-Wing was the rebellion's A-10 though, which makes it obviously the coolest SW fighter.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
It just reflects the differing circumstances in which the Resistance and the Rebel Alliance formed. The Alliance had to be stitched together secretly and incorporated many independent cells that often had to equip themselves as best they could. The result was the patchwork we saw in ANH. Leia was able to organize the Resistance in a more above board fashion so she could choose the best all around fighter for such a small force. It's easier from a maintenance perspective to have a single fighter type to keep in working order.

As for upgrades vs all new fighter types, the New Republic had de-emphasized it's military capability with the Military Disarmament Act so there wasn't a lot of demand for the development of new classes of fighters.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
It just reflects the differing circumstances in which the Resistance and the Rebel Alliance formed. The Alliance had to be stitched together secretly and incorporated many independent cells that often had to equip themselves as best they could. The result was the patchwork we saw in ANH. Leia was able to organize the Resistance in a more above board fashion so she could choose the best all around fighter for such a small force. It's easier from a maintenance perspective to have a single fighter type to keep in working order.

As for upgrades vs all new fighter types, the New Republic had de-emphasized it's military capability with the Military Disarmament Act so there wasn't a lot of demand for the development of new classes of fighters.
Yea that whole disarmament thing really worked well the last 8 times.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Also remember that the technology level in Star Wars is incredibly stagnant. Aside from the occasional superweapon, ships travel at the same speed and have the same combat capabilities as they did thousands of years ago. The only real innovation is how you engineer the technology.

And the reason they used the X-Wing is because X-Wings and Tie Fighters are by far the most recognizable ships from Star Wars. If the Resistance was using the best all around fighter, they would have been using Y-Wings, not X-Wings. Aside from hitting vulnerable exhaust ports with their proton torpedoes, they can't effectively engage capital class targets, they are space superiority fighters. Y-Wings are fighter-bombers, still capable of dog fighting but also capable of doing significant damage to capital ships. Y-Wings were also cheaper and easier to fly than B-Wings.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Also remember that the technology level in Star Wars is incredibly stagnant. Aside from the occasional superweapon, ships travel at the same speed and have the same combat capabilities as they did thousands of years ago. The only real innovation is how you engineer the technology.

And the reason they used the X-Wing is because X-Wings and Tie Fighters are by far the most recognizable ships from Star Wars. If the Resistance was using the best all around fighter, they would have been using Y-Wings, not X-Wings. Aside from hitting vulnerable exhaust ports with their proton torpedoes, they can't effectively engage capital class targets, they are space superiority fighters. Y-Wings are fighter-bombers, still capable of dog fighting but also capable of doing significant damage to capital ships. Y-Wings were also cheaper and easier to fly than B-Wings.
Too bad that's all gone now. Instead all we know about the fighters is Y wings blow up a lot and x wings are super cool. Hell yea, canon woo!

PosterOfStuff_sl

shitlord
Everything I mentioned except the stagnant tech level is canon.
For me canon* is what is in the movies. I don't read or involve myself in anything Star Wars outside of the Movies and some of the animated stuff.

What percentage of the paying public do you think would say the same ? I can remember walking out of the first LOTR and some guy saying how much it sucked when they so obviously lead into a second movie, and not finish the story in one sitting.

I just finished watching the three prequels, I forgot how painful to watch are they !

* Ok small escape clause on comic book movies for obvious reasons.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
For me canon* is what is in the movies. I don't read or involve myself in anything Star Wars outside of the Movies and some of the animated stuff.

What percentage of the paying public do you think would say the same ? I can remember walking out of the first LOTR and some guy saying how much it sucked when they so obviously lead into a second movie, and not finish the story in one sitting.

I just finished watching the three prequels, I forgot how painful to watch are they !

* Ok small escape clause on comic book movies for obvious reasons.
You can have whatever definition of it you wish to prescribe to but that's not the same definition that the typical Star Wars fan will have, it's not the definition that Lucas had when he was calling all of the shots, and more importantly it's not the definition that the currently rules within the franchise. I don't know what percentage of the public that goes to these movies is aware of exactly what constitutes canon currently but I would say it's significant. This isn't a new movie property the way the LoTR Trilogy was when it first came out. Canon extending far beyond the movies is a reality that has existed with respect to Star Wars for more than a quarter century.