Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)

spronk

FPS noob
U0wgzIT.jpg

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
That might have something to do with the photoshop job.

Regardless though, young kid Driver could have played Alfred E Newman.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
But I didn't want him to be an insecure emo brat, I wanted him to be that badass. Removing the helmet showed me what I didn't want him to be.
Go write a shitty Star Wars fanfic about super badass evil Sith Lord then. Spend enough time on it and I bet it can be an EU novel.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
I like the idea that she found the Force more organically than Luke did. I feel like Luke was more of a curious student of the force, whereas Rey is more like a natural prodigy of it. Nurture vs Nature. At least, that's how I took it in my one viewing. And if that is the direction they take with her I think she can be a totally awesome character with tons of potential and cool things for her to discover. The actress was pretty decent I'd say so the writers do have some room to play with her adventures if they think the actress can handle it.

Fin is in a similar position. Here he is an 'unplugged' storm trooper who is trying to be 'good' in a world he knows nothing about. Another apparently good actor. Tons of potential conflict, discovery, and development available.

Maybe I'm just being a drooling fanboy but I think the writers did a fine job. They are approaching this new story from the bottom up and are not trying to fist fuck us with mechanical and soul crushing predestination the way Lucas did with his prequels. Rather than painting themselves into a corner, I'd say these writers have planted a fertile seed and need only add water and sunlight from this point on!

Also. Fuck all ya'll Kylo Ren haters!
The characters of Fin and Ray are pretty interesting no doubt,... but saying "Maybe I'm just being a drooling fanboy but I think the writers did a fine job. They are approaching this new story from the bottom up and are not trying to fist fuck us with mechanical and soul crushing predestination the way Lucas did with his prequels."

Dood, where's the new story ? This was EPIV for a new generation.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
It follows a similar arc but it is not the same story. That's like saying Grapes of Wrath and Candide are the same book because they both have the main protagonists being broken and crushed by life. Just because they both follow the same arc does not mean they are the same story.

Vera Wang just had a commercial (like 10 minutes ago as I sit here) where she brags that she has 'put a modern spin on a timeless classic' on a piece of jewelry. People line up in orderly rows so they can shove money in her pockets.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
It follows a similar arc but in no way is it the same story. That's like saying Grapes of Wrath and Candide are the same book because they both have the main protagonists being broken and crushed by life. Just because they both follow the same arc does not mean they are the same story.
Take a listen to this fucker who thinks he better than us cause he can read.

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
I don't really see Kylo Ren as a villain, though that felt weird to type out.

Kylo feels more like a puppet, with Snoke pulling the strings. When looked at it in that fashion, it feels more organic to see that he's not purely dark or light. I mean, I remember loving jedi when I was a kid, but as I got more into the EU, all I could think was, Fucking jedi are ASSHOLES.

Kylo could be the grey area; Jedi are some absolute dickwads when it comes to major decisions and, in general, things that they should, ya know, FUCKING DO. There's a lot of that stuff that isn't canon anymore, but I still think the portrayal of the Jedi, (especially prior to original trilogy) was correct, and that they are basically Space Aes Sedai. Manipulating everyone around them, but not really anteing up.

I also think you're crazy if you don't think Vader changed from ANH to ROTJ. It's obviously not apparent from his masked face, but there's a definite change from the beginning - where he is 100% the Emperor's man and is willing to kill his son - to really stressing turning him to the dark side as opposed to killing him.

I always think of this when I think of how Vader can be so steadfastly dark but also slight light, and you can tell. (This one obviously more visually apparent.)

Comic depiction

Palum

what Suineg set it to

Kylo feels more like a puppet, with Snope pulling the strings. When looked at it in that fashion, it feels more organic to see that he's not purely dark or light. I mean, I remember loving jedi when I was a kid, but as I got more into the EU, all I could think was, Fucking jedi are ASSHOLES.

Kylo could be the grey area; Jedi are some absolute dickwads when it comes to major decisions and, in general, things that they should, ya know, FUCKING DO. There's a lot of that stuff that isn't canon anymore, but I still think the portrayal of the Jedi, (especially prior to original trilogy) was correct, and that they are basically Space Aes Sedai. Manipulating everyone around them, but not really anteing up.

I also think you're crazy if you don't think Vader changed from ANH to ROTJ. It's obviously not apparent from his masked face, but there's a definite change from the beginning - where he is 100% the Emperor's man and is willing to kill his son - to really stressing turning him to the dark side as opposed to killing him.

I always think of this when I think of how Vader can be so steadfastly dark but also slight light, and you can tell. (This one obviously more visually apparent.)

Comic depiction
I agree but I don't think Disney can afford to turn the Jedi into bad guys as well or at least 'kinda shitty guys' that they apparently are(were) in retrospect. I somehow expect the Jedi order to get rebuilt or at least implied it would be by the end of EP IX. I don't think they're committed enough to do the swansong thing and kill off both sides and 'start fresh' in the cosmic scale.

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
I agree but I don't think Disney can afford to turn the Jedi into bad guys as well or at least 'kinda shitty guys' that they apparently are(were) in retrospect. I somehow expect the Jedi order to get rebuilt or at least implied it would be by the end of EP IX. I don't think they're committed enough to do the swansong thing and kill off both sides and 'start fresh' in the cosmic scale.
Yea, I mean I don't see it happening, but with that idea in mind I tend to look at things differently. Playing some of the games, it can be super hard to hate the Empire/Sith, or downright impossible. The Empire in general has never seemed like a BAD thing - they just want to be free, I guess, and Jedi are like nooo, you must conform.

There's obviously some truly, super bad Sith at the heart of it all, but meh. Jedi wipe the mind of Revan man, DO WE THINK THAT IS COOL? WHERE DOES MIND RAPE FALL ON AN ALIGNMENT SCALE?

Caliane

Kylo feels more like a puppet, with Snoke pulling the strings. When looked at it in that fashion, it feels more organic to see that he's not purely dark or light. I mean, I remember loving jedi when I was a kid, but as I got more into the EU, all I could think was, Fucking jedi are ASSHOLES.

Comic depiction
no def villain.

he is a self radicalized teen who went off and joined a militant terrorist organization.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Of course Vader changed from new hope to Rotj and I don't think anyone is implying any different. It's people saying the actor was showing both sides of his character through body language or other such nonsense.

In ANH Vader was a cartoon evil for the sake of being evil villain. He wasn't even Anakin Skywalker/Luke's dad at the time so anyone saying they could see Anakin's struggle or whatever nonsense is completely full of shit. A lot of the original trilogy was made up as Lucas went along.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I thought the story was Lucas just wanted to make a sci fi movie and show off special effects, and the directors of ESB and RotJ insisted on a more meaty plot? Either way, "made up as Lucas went along" is accurate, but I think the credit to Lucas is misplaced.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I think Lucas has proven that anything he's done right was by complete accident. Who gets credit isn't really the point, but more that people saying Vader was so deep and conflicted from the very beginning are dumb.

The original ESB script had Vader and Lucas's Dad/Anakin as 2 completely different people.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Original star wars vader died. Also luke was some old weird alien thing. Lucas was bad at everything, editors and other writers/directors made star wars what it was