Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)

Caliane

I find Abrams movies fun to watch at first, but non withstand the test of time well at all. And all generally have a few glaring plot holes or nonsensical mcguffins/inconsistencies that really take you out of it. Red matter, black hole planet visible, intergalatic teleporter, khan, radiation death scene recreation..

Zignor 3_sl

shitlord
At least this time he has Kasdan, Kennedy, et al on board. What did he have for Star Trek? The guys who wrote a couple Transformers movies and some mediocre TV shows?

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
Guys... it's going to be ok. Really it will. It seems a lot are now tempering expectations to protect themselves from the let down of the Prequels. Happens to sport fans before big games too. We're just over a week away, take a deep breath, and let the force flow through you.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
JJ Abrams hasn't written much in recent years, he's either director or producer.

And as far as directing goes, I have no issue with him. His movie are well directed, well shot, action sequences are well done, pacing is usually pretty good, and he seems good at directing actors since acting I don't remember bad acting in his movies.

He's writing this, but he's not alone, Kasdan being one of the other gives me hope for the story.

I'm fairly optimistic about the movie.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Regarding Henry gives me all the proof of his ability to write, Kasdan obviously for Empire. Let's not forget that Kathleen Kennedy is producing this. She is perhaps the greatest living, and one of the greatest creative producers ever.

koljec_sl

shitlord
It will be hard to top Empire's emotional impact simply because the characters are new...
Odds are against the Star Wars: TNG characters being as automatically charismatic as Ford (a great scoundrel), Hamill (a perfect farmboy), and Fisher (a perfect rebel princess) were. Jame Earl Jones voice acting was part of that, too. The new bunch seems cast for trendy market appeal, but they are flat, no pop.

I don't think the movie will be bad. It will use the old characters for some wistful moments, and then it will be well-made, but ultimately disposable, generic space action-fantasy. I'd say the Star Trek reboots fit that, except they did a pretty darn good job of casting original crew impersonators. But Star Trek, to me, lives in serial TV production, anyway.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
The majority of Star Trek movies were shit and I agree, it really belongs on TV.

I wouldn't really say odds are against new characters. The original cast had a culture defining movie behind them in a time where those movies didn't exist. Nostalgia and childhood memories have added layers and layers on top of the perception of them. For the new characters to succeed the movie has to be really good much like any character/movie. They have a leg up because it's star wars, but then again the room to fail is much bigger too due to expectations and comparison to the prequels.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Just checked. Abrams didn't write the 2 new Star Trek movies. Thank god. They were uninspired, uninteresting, formulaic sacks of fan-service garbage filled with rehashed themes and half-baked characterization.

Who are the other writers on The Force Awakens?

Edit: Lawrence Kasdan. Sweet. This gives me a new hope.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
First new Star Trek was good, if flawed. Second was not great, they obviously felt they had to do Khan and do it differently, they should have done their own thing. Idk, I am optimistic. I bought tickets today, skipping out of work super early next Friday to see it with my wife.

Thlayli

Lord Nagafen Raider
Abrams is a master of capturing the "feel" of certain things, like that nostalgic small town '80's America feel in Super 8. That's why I know regardless of the plot this movie will work aesthetically.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Huh. Wellp I guess I'm in the minority "It's gonna fucking suck" camp then.

Here's to being pleasantly surprised.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Huh. Wellp I guess I'm in the minority "It's gonna fucking suck" camp then.

Here's to being pleasantly surprised.
i think it'll be a notch above mediocre, maybe even good, no more no less. the fun part will be watching the civil war between nerds coming after.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Abrams is a master of capturing the "feel" of certain things, like that nostalgic small town '80's America feel in Super 8. That's why I know regardless of the plot this movie will work aesthetically.
Its Star Wars, the plot shouldn't even be a high expectation. It can hardly be worse than the prequel plots so as long as it isn't Prometheus shit it should be fine.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I think it will be surprisingly good. Maybe not Ep. V good but better or as good as any other movie in the franchise (which really just means as good or better than Ep. IV). My concern is Ep. VIII and all the one off movies, will the quality go down and just turn into a license to print money.

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
will the quality go down and just turn into a license to print money.
One could argue that happened in 1983 with Return of the Jedi and has plagued the franchise since, with only a handful of exceptions (Timothy Zahn's first 3 SW novels, a few other books).

The hope, I think, is that this one changes the trend; I continue to have extreme confidence that this is going to set a gold Marvel-style standard that will be met, nearly met or exceeded by everything after it.

khorum

Murder Apologist
I think the hope is that Disney applies its legendary institutional discipline on the creative management of the Star Wars franchise kinda like what they're doing with Marvel.

But even with Kevin Feige tightly curating the MCU, they're pushing very close to overexposure and audience fatique with 40+ Marvel film/tv products coming out in the next few years. It's a legitimate concern that Star Wars will end up with a similar glut.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
It's funny how closely some of you think the new movies will mirror the old ones. It's like you think this is a reboot instead of a continuation. If the current guesses are correct, this will be a more faithful reboot than the latest star trek was.

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
From everything we have seen Ep7 will mirror Ep4 in lots of ways, solo hero on dessert planet, death star, old jedi, rebels, empire etc..