Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
It was called the Doom Star originally.
Like, that was the working name for it during production, or they were actually planning on using that name until someone convinced them how fucking stupid it sounded? I mean at that point, it makes more sense both in universe and out to just call it the Death Star.

Caliane

They're on the Limited Edition release of the SE's as well. Those came from a laser disc source but the quality is disappointing on a large format TV.

star_wars_66870.jpg
2010 article about it.
Untouched is impossible: the story of Star Wars in film | Ars Technica
They say, the 2006 DVD's are the "best" commercial. made from the master tape the laserdiscs were made from, not the laserdiscs themselves. higher quality.
but still non-anamorphic widescreen, so not "perfect"

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's funny that they used StarKiller given that is also the name of Darth Vader's apprentice in Force Unleashed.
You know it was Luke's original last name right? It's an easter egg that pops up in lots of Star Wars stuff. There was a Bendak Starkiller in KOTOR.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Like, that was the working name for it during production, or they were actually planning on using that name until someone convinced them how fucking stupid it sounded?
I don't know. Either way it wasn't a case of putting the cart before the horse by trying to shoehorn some sort of design into the name Starkiller.

spronk

FPS noob
interesting factoid: Mark Hamill was older (64) on TFA than Sir Alec Guinness was on A New Hope (63)

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
2010 article about it.
Untouched is impossible: the story of Star Wars in film | Ars Technica
They say, the 2006 DVD's are the "best" commercial. made from the master tape the laserdiscs were made from, not the laserdiscs themselves. higher quality.
but still non-anamorphic widescreen, so not "perfect"
After reading that article, I am more pissed with lucas' fanboys than lucas himself.
The fucker never gave us what we want but some morons, still praise him like he is the master of the universe and probably masturbate listening to jedi rocks.
They never cared for the movies, they only care about lucas' "work", even if it disrespects actors, producers, directors.
Every fuckin change has an excuse: it's his property (yeah but he was not the only involved in the project), it's to show his vision (fuck his vision, who asked for it?), for continuity (this one I just laugh for how stupid it is)....

Fuck lucas!! Fuck you if you still support him!!! Go watch the prequels and SE saying "they are not so bad and they expand SW universe herp derp herp" and fuckin die!!!

/rant over

Caliane

haha yeah. I was about to post, that change.org, that reddit thread, that new yorker article.

White slavers, and Disney. Lucasarts fucking invented merchandising and whoring out movies as toys, games, tv specials, etc. when people say "starwars changed how movies are made" THAT is what they mean. you can't sit there and shit on Disney for the media blits, marketing, and running IPs into the ground. When Lucas fucking invented that. Battle for endor, , starwars monopoly, starwars trivial pursiut, starwars the flamethrower.

"Got to give credit to George for TFA making 1 billion!" Credit? literally everyone involved had to fucking wrestle with that asshole and fight to get him away from the project. it did it in SPITE of George doing everything he could to stop it.

and yeah, he has constantly shit on the work of everyone else involved in the movies, games, books, comics, that have made STARWARS still relevant now 30 years later.

Oatlord_sl

shitlord
It is interesting how almost everyone assumed it was entirely consuming the sun, as I'm the only one I've spoken to in person or that I remember reading about in this thread thinking the opposite. Even if I'm right, that statistic alone shows that they needed to do a lot better job of explaining it, even if it was just a throwaway line like, "When the sun goes dark it still has enough nuclear reaction to restart itself, but if we go beyond that it will never recover, or go supernova, or black hole, or whatever."
Seem to recall a scene showing a plasma trail from the star to the base, so I think the intent WAS that it siphoned off the star. Which is really stupid. Is it just using hydrogen or helium? Easier ways to get that. And if they can literally eat a star, pretty sure there would be better ways to blow shit up.

And a star that goes dark from loss of mass would just be a gas giant.

But yeah, "it's a base....that's a planet.. THAT EATS THE SUN!!! Print that, we're going with it. Good work, boys."

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Compressing all of the matter of a star into the interior of a planet would increase the planet's mass (and thereby its gravity) enormously. If you were to put the entire Sun in to the center of the Earth while somehow keeping the Earth the same size, the surface gravity would go up by a factor of 330,000 which would crush anyone on the surface into a thin red paste. If the star was big enough, it'd collapse the planet into a black hole at some point.

Not to mention that the act of destroying the star would already doom all life on its planets. Photosynthesis stops, the food chain collapses and everything freezes solid within days. The beam weapon is just superfluous at that point.

Star Wars was always more space fantasy than science fiction, but the Starkiller was really stretching it.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Compressing all of the matter of a star into the interior of a planet would increase the planet's mass (and thereby its gravity) enormously. If you were to put the entire Sun in to the center of the Earth while somehow keeping the Earth the same size, the surface gravity would go up by a factor of 330,000 which would crush anyone on the surface into a thin red paste. If the star was big enough, it'd collapse the planet into a black hole at some point.

Not to mention that the act of destroying the star would already doom all life on its planets. Photosynthesis stops, the food chain collapses and everything freezes solid within days. The beam weapon is just superfluous at that point.

Star Wars was always more space fantasy than science fiction, but the Starkiller was really stretching it.
It probably has some gravity stabilizers right next to the spaceship factory.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
IYou siphon off as much energy as you need to charge the weapon, and then you have to wait for the sun to recharge itself before siphoning it again.
Side note: it's not as if there's not precedent enough for this in SF: That's basically the On-Off star used inA Deepness in the Skywhere Transcendent technology is used to temporarily modify local space-time and enable advanced computing systems that are otherwise impossible, and they use the entire output of the star for this.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Uh, you do understand that they use the energy of the star to destroy planets in an entirely different star system right?