Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)

Blakkheim

Karazhan Raider

Why not just use photon torpedoes so that you don't have to have these huge bomber ships that have to fly directly over the opposing ship and expose the crew to being obliterated?

photon-torpedo-e1301028643289.jpg

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
I've shit on the movie plenty, but I considered that scene to at least be in line with the spirit of previous movies, which have never been really great at respecting physics / science. I may have had a fleeting moment of "well that's kind of dumb" before thinking of ways it could be explained away.

Casually opening a fucking hatch to let Leia Poppins back into the ship without sucking Finn and the rest of her rescuers into space (which is the EXACT mechanism used just scenes before to put her in space in the first place) was pants-on-head retarded though.

I'm not even talking about the science side of the bombs in space at all, I'm saying the entire scene went way overboard with the deliberate complications to make the bomb dropping sequence as suspenseful and melodramatic and uncertain and tense and long and drawn out and unlucky and lucky and heroic and...

I don't care enough about it to watch the scene again and take notes about all the specific details, but I remember that the chick was wandering around away from her targeting computer and slipped on a banana peel and dropped her iPhone and hit her head and couldn't stand up and zomg she overcame literally every single obstacle and single handedly saved the universe go go girl power gooooo!

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Jive Turkey

Karen
Why not just use photon torpedoes so that you don't have to have these huge bomber ships that have to fly directly over the opposing ship and expose the crew to being obliterated?

photon-torpedo-e1301028643289.jpg

Because Rian Johnson's writing technique is "oh, this would be cool", then moving right along without considering logic or inconsistencies.

I also just came across this quote from him about his pitch for the upcoming new trilogy:

"My entire pitch to Kathleen Kennedy and Disney was, 'Let's tell a new Star Wars story. Let's tell one story over three movies, where we go new places and meet new people. It's a brand new story that feels like a great Star Wars story.' That was the extent of it. I didn't pitch an idea or a time or anything like that. It was just bright blue sky to tell a new story in, and they were so excited about it. Honestly, I've been the rigamarole of releasing this movie so I'm just starting to form clusters of ideas for the trilogy, but really the most exciting thing right now is the potential of it."

Isn't that what they were fucking doing with the current trilogy? Oh, well that explains so much that he hadn't considered he was telling part of a story set over three movies. I'm only half kidding

Last edited:
  • 1Picard
  • 1Solidarity

Jive Turkey

Karen
I'm not even talking about the science side of the bombs in space at all, I'm saying the entire scene went way overboard with the deliberate complications to make the bomb dropping sequence as suspenseful and melodramatic and uncertain and tense and long and drawn out and unlucky and lucky and heroic and...

I don't care enough about it to watch the scene again and take notes about all the specific details, but I remember that the chick was wandering around away from her targeting computer and slipped on a banana peel and dropped her iPhone and hit her head and couldn't stand up and zomg she overcame literally every single obstacle and single handedly saved the universe go go girl power gooooo!

Also the slowest vehicles in the galaxy

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Isn't that what they were fucking doing with the current trilogy? Oh, well that explains so much that he hadn't considered he was telling part of a story set over three movies. I'm only half kidding

Well yes but no. The Sequel Trilogy are sequels. There is a history there going back decades with some of the characters and it's ideas. He seems to be pushing a new beginning. As new as the setting will allow. It probably would have been the sort of thing he'd have been better suited to do in the first place. I feel like part of the problem with how he handled TLJ was he only found certain characters truly interesting and those are where he put the lion's share of his creative focus. The others just kind of meander through. If he introduces all of the characters maybe they'll all be equally serviced.

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
I just don't understand these people.

How do they not realize that statements like that just provide nourishment to the frenzied dorks who see SJWs in their bowls of breakfast cereal each morning?

Edit: Shit, I fell for the stupid clickbait title and comment by Blakkheim. I'm an idiot. His comments were basically fine. My sentiment still holds true for a disturbingly high number of people.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider

Miss me with that obvious clickbait bullshit. The first "threatened" quote is so short and that it says absolutely nothing at all because it's entirely removed from its original context. The second "threatened" quote says absolutely nothing about TLJ in any way, shape, or form.

However, there is at least one quote from Abrams that hasn't been completely butchered by a hack blogger:

J.J. Abrams said:
There’s a lot that I would like to say about it, but I feel like it’s a little early to be having the ‘Episode IX’ conversation … I will say that the story of Rey and Poe and Finn and Kylo Ren — and if you look, there are three men and one woman, to those that are complaining that there are too many women in ‘Star Wars’ — their story continues in a way that I couldn’t be more excited about and cannot wait for people to see.

If you're the kind of person who likes to read between lines, you could really easily interpret that quote as Abrams saying that he's going to do the best he can to finish the story he started in TFA and mitigate as much of Johnson's TLJ damage as he can.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Khane

Got something right about marriage
By doing what? Rehashing another story? Episode IX: Return of the Last Jedi's Awakening

• 5Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
By throwing away all of the complete garbage introduced by Johnson in the same way that Johnson threw away decades of established SW canon.

• 1Solidarity

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
What if JJ just did his own thing. Scrawl pops up and it says episode 8 again and does it way better than Johnson. Would people be mad cause they have to wait for a real episode 9 or happy because they retconned that abortion?

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
You would think after spending 3 billion fucking dollars on the franchise they would at least write all three Episodes together so they made sense and then fill it Lord of the Rings style and film em all together. But that would make to much sense. The back and forth director vision is a recipe for failure.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
If you're the kind of person who likes to read between lines, you could really easily interpret that quote as Abrams saying that he's going to do the best he can to finish the story he started in TFA and mitigate as much of Johnson's TLJ damage as he can.

Mmm yeah but lets remember JJ had to fight and attack people on the storyboard committee to get TFA made, and Rian didn't have a single issue with his FIRST DRAFT.

I won't be supporting Ep. 9 financially on those grounds. JJ shouldn't have had to have a knock-down drag out over the TFA storyline if Rian had 100% uncontested freedom. I just can't support that kind of brand.

• 1Solidarity

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Mmm yeah but lets remember JJ had to fight and attack people on the storyboard committee to get TFA made, and Rian didn't have a single issue with his FIRST DRAFT.

I won't be supporting Ep. 9 financially on those grounds. JJ shouldn't have had to have a knock-down drag out over the TFA storyline if Rian had 100% uncontested freedom. I just can't support that kind of brand.

He fought people to get TFA made? He fought for that bland, generic rehash? JJ already tried and failed at Star Wars once. Rian Johnson's shit tier episode 8 isn't going to be the reason episode 9 won't be good. JJ Abrams will be the reason episode 9 isn't good.

• 6Solidarity
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 6 users

spronk

FPS noob
Star Wars: The Last Jedi Comes Home | StarWars.com
Digital 3/13, Blu-Ray 3/27
  • The Director and the Jedi – Go deep behind the scenes with writer-director Rian Johnson on an intimate and personal journey through the production of the movie—and experience what it’s like to helm a global franchise and cultural phenomenon.
  • Balance of the Force – Explore the mythology of the Force and why Rian Johnson chose to interpret its role in such a unique way.
  • Scene Breakdowns
    • Lighting the Spark: Creating the Space Battle – Get a close-up look at the epic space battle, from the sounds that help propel the action, through the practical and visual effects, to the characters who bring it all to life.
    • Snoke and Mirrors – Motion capture and Star Wars collide as the filmmakers take us through the detailed process of creating the movie’s malevolent master villain.
    • Showdown on Crait – Break down everything that went into creating the stunning world seen in the movie’s final confrontation, including the interplay between real-word locations and visual effects, reimagining the walkers, designing the crystal foxes, and much more.
  • Andy Serkis Live! (One Night Only) – Writer-director Rian Johnson presents two exclusive sequences from the movie featuring Andy Serkis’ riveting, raw on-set performance before his digital makeover into Snoke.
  • 14 Deleted Scenes – With an introduction and optional commentary by writer-director Rian Johnson.
  • Audio Commentary – View the movie with in-depth feature audio commentary by writer-director Rian Johnson.

everything sounds pretty cringey

• 3Picard
Reactions: 2 users

Siliconemelons

It's funny that there is literally an entire section dedicated to why RJs "interpretation" is the shit that it is.

At least deleted scenes give fan edits more content to work with.

• 1Like