Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)

Caliane

guy has a whole bunch of flat earth vidoes, and one starwars RT score is a conspiracy lie! video. hahaha.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
They annihilated the "resistance" down to an amount that can fit onto the Falcon and their last remaining leader passed away IRL. They better be casting for more than one.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Caliane

They forgot to add "asian"
no, they didn't. some places just aren't reporting on that part.
Casting director Nina Gold is on the hunt for an “ethnic female”, with a strong preference for an African-American, 18-26 years old

"All this comes to her effortlessly.
Fucking hilaroius they are so tone deaf, they would actually write that.
"practical perfect in every way"

• 1Worf

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
no, they didn't. some places just aren't reporting on that part.

"All this comes to her effortlessly.
Fucking hilaroius they are so tone deaf, they would actually write that.
"practical perfect in every way"
Oh i get it.
Now that black panther made all that money, they see again the "potential" of black actors.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I hope some 18-26 year old is not the leader of a rebellion against an intergalactic military regime...

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
The only way to fight a millenial is with a millenial.

• 5Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
Regarding politicized complaints in the Star Wars franchise it is important to note that such themes, or themes that could be interpreted politically, are natural to storytelling. Fiction would lack conflict without making use of timely issues. They have always been applied to add weight to dramatic writing and to examine big contentious ideas. Politics does not give rise to universal concerns but rather the process of politics is derived from them. Usually our problem with a whiff of political tripe in otherwise apolitical fare such as action movies etc. is when it seems tacked on which is why forced political shit is rubbish.

Allegory is shit for that reason. Messaging is boring as a general rule regardless of agreeing with the premise. Examining all sides is preferred without telling the audience what to conclude, allowing for your own interpretation. However, there are exceptions when the tale is impressive. Criticism is good at any rate whether you disagree or not with the views endorsed by the filmmaker, author etc. Overreacting is common though. That is where anti-left and left wingers behave similarly. "Fighting fire with fire" has been used elsewhere as summing up the online vitriol aka flirtations between the blue hairs and the basement dwellers. Although it's gotta be said of course that making fun of shit and goofing off is fun. Not stooping to the level of what you aim to invalidate is smarter in the end. Setting an example is more effective.

Recently watched The Last Jedi for the second time. The movie is flawed but more creative than The Force Awakens. It suffers from several scattershot plot choices. Kylo and Rey are the best part and Snoke dying as he did was fine but some backstory for Snoke would have helped. Also do agree if you really want to make Star Wars you need George Lucas to be a part of it.

The film made no use of of the first jedi temple whatsoever. What a wasted opportunity to delve into the history behind Star Wars. Learning some of that history, especially if it is mysterious and badass and integral to the next installment, might have given this trilogy a reason for being.

Luke as a hermit is a fine choice but his reasons were not convincing. What happened with Kylo is not enough to justify him abandoning the jedi. The ending is decent but the fight itself between Luke and Ren is underwhelming. Luke should have been left alive for episode nine. That enitre scene should have gone down differently. His death too closely parallels Obi Wan's. Both sacrifice themselves and Luke's robes even fall similarly to the ground. Although the twin sunset was a fitting end for Luke.

There are plenty of other ineffective yet not wholly terrible scenes. Holdo is the only truly worthless character and Poe the most likable. Still think Carrie Poppins doesn't look as silly as all that but it does resemble a witch. All she needs is a broom. Not sure if anyone had mentioned it but her floating appears to be reconcilable with jedi telekinesis. Instead of pulling or pushing an object in zero gravity she is pulling herself as a reversal of the oft seen force power. They should have revealed her use of the force in a different way.

The lousy dialogue is the worst thing about the film. The dialogue is really, really bad. I mean the movie has one of the worst lines I have ever heard. The "don't fight what you hate, save what you love" bit is like a precious moments Hallmark postcard. It is so fucking awful. There's a lot of bad dialogue in The Last Jedi and dialogue is incredibly important in a film.

Won't be going to the theaters for Solo not because of The Last Jedi. Had no interest in it since months before Last Jedi came out. From what I've heard there is no character arc for Ehrenreich's Han, where he goes from starry eyed kid to hardened smuggler. That is disappointing. Will however rent it later and shit.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I would bet money that Kennedy wants to make a Mara character just to shit on fans a bunch more, since she is one of the main quashers of the EU stuff. Normal people react to criticism by taking a new approach or refining things. But KK and her SJW band are going to double down, of course. If you want to see how to do decent diversity (and have a sense of humor about it), Deadpool 2 nails it perfectly, btw, with Domino. Hell, they had a perfect fucking in house example with Rogue One.

When virtue signaling takes priority, things always go to utter shit. Yeah political movies exist and politics inevitably creeps into a lot of artistic works, but it should NEVER take over priority for making a decent piece of entertainment. And make no mistake, these people behind shit like TLJ are not about the entertainment, they are about pushing an agenda even if it wrecks the whole fucking franchise (because destroying something "white men made" is still a win for them) to do it. Declaring Lando "pansexual" when there has been literally no sexuality in any SW movie and it has zero fuck all to do with the story is the kind of thinking that got TLJ so far off course. Until they correct that, I will enjoy watching the Mouse lose money for a change.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
I would bet money that Kennedy wants to make a Mara character just to shit on fans a bunch more, since she is one of the main quashers of the EU stuff. Normal people react to criticism by taking a new approach or refining things. But KK and her SJW band are going to double down, of course. If you want to see how to do decent diversity (and have a sense of humor about it), Deadpool 2 nails it perfectly, btw, with Domino. Hell, they had a perfect fucking in house example with Rogue One.
Why didn't they include Mara Jade? You'd think it would be right up their street.

I haven't read anything with her in it but even I know about Luke Skywalker's badass wife who used to be one of the Emperor's guards.

I suppose you can't claim you are adding diversity to the mythos when you admit there are already existing female characters?

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Has anyone considered that toxic space plastics leftover from the Jedi ruins leaked into the environment, contaminated the creature's milk (which is why it is green) and after years of consuming it that is why Luke turned into a pussy and died prematurely?

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users