Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)

Chris

Potato del Grande
Kind of interesting how poorly Solo did when it's miles better than TLJ ever could hope to be. Not that it was great, but it was at least a passable movie.
Yeah. TLJ killed the brand. It's THAT bad.

I loved TFA and was happy enough with Rogue One, it wasn't the best movie ever but it tied in nicely with Episode 4 and had enough fan service. If Solo and TLJ were released in the opposite order, I would have gone to see Solo. I heard it had issues but was decent enough.

Cinematic Universe movies always need to be opening doors to new plot possibilities to bring you back for the next one. TLJ closed most of the doors.

I liked Age of Ultron but I've noticed that people seem to think it's one of the weakest MCU movies. At the end of that movie you have two new superheros, the beginnings of the Iron Man/Captain America conflict, Hulk going into exile, Thor becoming aware of the Infinity Stones. Doing too much of this was the movies weakness but it strengthened the cinematic universe and helped to get people watching Civil War and Ragnarok.

TLJ just said "no" to every door opened in TFA. It left us with... a weak empire led by a weak apprentice and a weak rebel alliance led by underdeveloped children. Compelling suff!!

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
TLJ just said "no" to every door opened in TFA. It left us with... a weak empire led by a weak apprentice and a weak rebel alliance led by underdeveloped children. Compelling suff!!

I just hope Bob Iger is paying attention and not letting the Lucas Film-Disney spin machine cook his own soup for him.

By no means should he rely on "gamer-gate sites" for his opinions, however a general consensus is being reached on these movies as we speak. And for all of the prequels faults, they were farrrrr less assailable mechanically. The quote above is something that is unique to TLJ alone.

That is a very big problem.

If Episode 9 doesn't hit hard, they will have no choice but to sunset the franchise in order to protect the IP. I'd like to think the sunset would be 3 years tops before they reload into the GoT trilogy. But when forced to confront reality, TLJ is probably worth more of a 5-8 year break at this point.

Last edited:

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
the biggest mistake was Disney buying this franchise without a clue on what to do with it. not even a director with a vision, not even a Star Wars fan to run things. hell, fuck that, they didnt even get a businessman to run Lucas.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I just hope Bob Iger is paying attention and not letting the Lucas Film-Disney spin machine cook his own soup for him.

By no means should he rely on "gamer-gate sites" for his opinions, however a general consensus is being reached on these movies as we speak. And for all of the prequels faults, they were farrrrr less assailable mechanically. The quote above is something that is unique to TLJ alone.

That is a very big problem.

If Episode 9 doesn't hit hard, they will have no choice but to sunset the franchise in order to protect the IP. I'd like to think the sunset would be 3 years tops before they reload into the GoT trilogy. But when forced to confront reality, TLJ is probably worth more of a 5-8 year break at this point.
Not going to bomb but I bet it will not surpass 1B. If so, barely will reach the 1.3B from TLJ.

spronk

FPS noob
Episode 9 is going to completely depend on how much JJ Abrams jerks off fans, and I'm pretty sure he knows it. If it gets really strong word of mouth it'll do really well from repeat viewings and the "drag your friends along" effect, which Solo didn't get due to the hardcore star wars fans not giving a shit anymore after TLJ. If the movie sucks it'll do worse than TLJ.

Its all on JJ's shoulders now, actually its probably most on Chris Terrio's shoulders who is probably doing much of the script. He previously wrote Argo, Batman v Superman, and Justice League soooooo thats not good, unless he realizes why those last two movies sucked hard.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Since this has been said a lot already, I didn’t feel the need to echo it. But just as spronk said, I’m a huge Star Wars fan (opening night for all movies released in my lifetime) and didn’t see Solo in theaters to protest with my wallet. I won’t be seeing episode 9 in theaters unless JJ somehow pulls off a miracle and reverses course.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Episode 9 is going to completely depend on how much JJ Abrams jerks off fans, and I'm pretty sure he knows it. If it gets really strong word of mouth it'll do really well from repeat viewings and the "drag your friends along" effect, which Solo didn't get due to the hardcore star wars fans not giving a shit anymore after TLJ. If the movie sucks it'll do worse than TLJ.

Its all on JJ's shoulders now, actually its probably most on Chris Terrio's shoulders who is probably doing much of the script. He previously wrote Argo, Batman v Superman, and Justice League soooooo thats not good, unless he realizes why those last two movies sucked hard.
EP7 was low effort garbage. People confuse competently produced movies with actual good movies.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
EP7 was low effort garbage. People confuse competently produced movies with actual good movies.
it was completely uninspired and boring. i saw it on cable when it premiered there and it took fucking forever to end. the one white male hero was killed off and the other white males are villains.

• 1Solidarity

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
Yeah. TLJ killed the brand. It's THAT bad.

I loved TFA and was happy enough with Rogue One, it wasn't the best movie ever but it tied in nicely with Episode 4 and had enough fan service. If Solo and TLJ were released in the opposite order, I would have gone to see Solo. I heard it had issues but was decent enough.

Cinematic Universe movies always need to be opening doors to new plot possibilities to bring you back for the next one. TLJ closed most of the doors.

I liked Age of Ultron but I've noticed that people seem to think it's one of the weakest MCU movies. At the end of that movie you have two new superheros, the beginnings of the Iron Man/Captain America conflict, Hulk going into exile, Thor becoming aware of the Infinity Stones. Doing too much of this was the movies weakness but it strengthened the cinematic universe and helped to get people watching Civil War and Ragnarok.

The Empire wasn't just made to look 'weak', they were made out to be comic relief in the opening 10 minutes. They are not a threat, and why the fuck are they even still around? Why the fuck is there still a REBEL Alliance fighting them? What the fuck are they even fighting over? The Empire doesn't look like it runs anything in this trilogy, they are just a bunch of space Nazis fighting a group of Space Hippies because reasons?

Smokin' Jesus titty cinnamon I hate this fucking movie. The movie is a well made pile of disease ridden feces.

• 4Like
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Not going to bomb but I bet it will not surpass 1B. If so, barely will reach the 1.3B from TLJ.

I think it draws a hardcore buzz for the Thrawn angle and general fan fare. JJ has demonstrated he is willing to do press for the movie, go above and beyond to tell people its different this time (while still respecting Johnson as a director).

JJ uses Thrawn to address the elephant in the room-- the lack of an Empire of any significance. It's well receieved and people are interested in Star Wars again.

Despite that possibility, I'm calling a prediction now of 950 million. Will just barely miss bombing and the GoT trilogy doesn't see a release within the next 5 years.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
It will be interesting trying to forecast the box office for this one. I think it will really depend on word of mouth since TLJ showed that critics couldn't be trusted to evaluate the film from a fan's perspective.

I think $950M would be pretty devastating to Disney, actually. I think it being the last in the trilogy will be enough to get it beyond that.

• 1Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Not getting my money unless Kennedy is fired or its universally praised here. Star Wars is dead to me. I supported all the other things but Solo. I expect that to continue since leadership has not gotten the message.

• 5Solidarity
  • 4Like
Reactions: 8 users

Korillo

Molten Core Raider
The last in a trilogy without a storyline. Usually the 3rd movie in a trilogy is supposed to have some sort of climax. What are we looking forward to here? I don't even fucking know. The Last Jedi basically was a climax. It didn't leave the door open for much story progression.

Thrawn being in the movie would also be really dumb. Thrawn would be a "bad guy" and therefore have to lose due to this being the last movie in the trilogy. I don't personally want to see a great character like Thrawn show up for 15 minutes of screen time and then die/get defeated etc etc. Total waste of the character.

I don't think there is anything Disney could do that would make me interested in paying to see Episode 9. I don't personally believe it is possible to redeem The Last Jedi, there is just no content to work with there. If they plan on doing any more Star Wars movies in the future past Episode 9, perhaps they will consider looking at previous Star Wars movies that already exist. You know, the reason people liked it in the first place...

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

spronk

FPS noob
what if COUNT DOOKU comes back

k9x17ruk1cd11.png

Braen

<Medals Crew>
Should have recast all the old characters and gone the Heir to the Empire storyline

Star Wars reboot please.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
The last in a trilogy without a storyline. Usually the 3rd movie in a trilogy is supposed to have some sort of climax. What are we looking forward to here? I don't even fucking know. The Last Jedi basically was a climax. It didn't leave the door open for much story progression.

Thrawn being in the movie would also be really dumb. Thrawn would be a "bad guy" and therefore have to lose due to this being the last movie in the trilogy. I don't personally want to see a great character like Thrawn show up for 15 minutes of screen time and then die/get defeated etc etc. Total waste of the character.

I don't think there is anything Disney could do that would make me interested in paying to see Episode 9. I don't personally believe it is possible to redeem The Last Jedi, there is just no content to work with there. If they plan on doing any more Star Wars movies in the future past Episode 9, perhaps they will consider looking at previous Star Wars movies that already exist. You know, the reason people liked it in the first place...
That's one of the many infuriating things about this movie.
The first one regained hope and had me looking forward to everything to come and this dashed all of that away

I actually like Solo, watched it twice and eagerly await its freeness on tv. Solo could easily be 1 of 3, but because of this piece of shit, we're lucky if the whole franchise isn't benched

• 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

I don't personally see Thrawn dying in any Episode 9 storyline. I see it as more of a prequel to future Thrawn movie appearances. Just putting him back into his pre-EU wipe form and back into the Star Wars movie universe like a "Marvel move" that Bob Iger was pushing for. But I don't actually know how big of a role he's getting.

AFAIK from looking at the casting, Thrawn isn't the big bad. More of a cowboy wildcard.

Last edited:

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
what if COUNT DOOKU comes back

A Zombie Sith Lord? I'm sold. Could have him using the force to keep his animated corpse together similar to how Cable (comics) uses his telekinesis to keep the T/O virus at bay. Have some sub-plot of him breaking some sort of afterlife covenant that prevents the force ghosts from coming back to life and influencing events.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
If Disney is smart, they'll think big picture. You have to go all face service on this next film and salvage what you can but at least set up future films/series to where the fans want to invest. Right now, they would just soon take a dump on it than watch anything right now. Disney has went all out on Star Wars though. The Star Wars Land and resort are both huge investments not to mention the series coming to their streaming service.

JJ has a serious task in front of him. If he can some how save face, he could be the savior to all Star Wars geeks out there. However, i'm a bit concerned. JJ tends to be complex and unnecessarily cryptic with his products. You cannot over complicate this one. Just gotta try to get it right.

• 1Like