Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)

Qhue

Trump's Staff
One thing that strikes me about Episode VII --> VIII is that always before the 'expanded universe' could fill the gaps between movies with whatever they wanted with the knowledge that most of it would be retconned out of existence. Marvel had their Star Wars comic book which rapidly went into batshit crazy land but then grounded itself when Empire came out and then again went off on a tangent.

However episode VIII picks up immediately after the end of VII with Luke and Rey. Even if they subsequently do a "time passes" during the movie itself while Rey is on some kind of Jedi training montage there is still no room for any adventures that take place in the interim. Without that final scene we could have had an animated series where Rey, Poe and Finn are doing all kinds of crazy things while trying to follow the map to Luke and where Leia is trying to pick up the pieces from the Republic Senate being blown to bits. Instead all we can get are pre-episode VII Poe Dameron / BB8 adventures.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
They can still write books about the crazy adventures following the map. I didn't see anything that said it was only a day later. Plus, it's a huge galaxy, plenty of room for side characters like we got with the EU.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
If they have a map to the planet he's on why would there be time for adventures in the interim? They'd just put the coordinates in the navicomputer and kick back while they're in hyperspace.

Finn wasn't exactly in any condition for high adventure at the end of the movie either.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
The hyperspace routes are not well charted. It'll take lots of jumps which means lots of opportunities for raiders or empires to attack. They might need to refuel? Maybe the map isn't exact and it's more like a pirates map. I don't know, there's plenty of reasons if they really wanted to do it. Making a whole novel would probably be a stretch, but potentially a short story or something.

I'll have to watch the end scene again and see if anyone was still wounded, which would indicate hardly any time passed.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
You mean the hyperspace routes that, in the movie, take about 30 seconds to go wherever the fuck they want and are capable of dumping you below a planetary energy shield but above the trees?

Sure, in a "real world" application of hyperspace those things might be able to happen, but in the movies they pretty much just insta-zap everywhere. The only thing stopping them from getting to Luke was the sheer size of the places to search. Their misuse of hyperspace is essentially fucking you out of any of those EU-style stories. Whether that is a good thing or a bad thing could still be argued.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah it's almost like being able to use a transporter to go all the way from Earth to Q'onos.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
I forgot how they fucked that up. It was definitely different in the books, and I'm 90% sure the new books treat hyperspace the same way the old books did.

Royal

I'll have to watch the end scene again and see if anyone was still wounded, which would indicate hardly any time passed.
Finn was still unconscious from his fight with Kylo when Rey left.

Royal

Birgitte H S?rensen Joins Star Wars Episode 8. But Who Is She Playing?

The actress will be playing a member of the Knights of Ren, a dark side organization that operates under the command of Snoke, the Supreme Leader of the First Order.
She was the female Wildling clan leader from the Hardhome episode of GoT.

gotep8d_3323113b.jpg

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
pretty psyched if her being a Knight is true. Want me some major KoR involvement in the next one.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
That is very nearly a hipster Avatar. The only thing missing is a vinyl record and a PBR.

I do wonder if the Knights of Ren are purely something that Kylo Ren made up as part of his emo rebellious youth, or if they tie into something more ancient. Since his given name is Ben I could see him altering that to Ren and then adopting the Kylo business, or it could just be a coincidence that Ben and Ren are similar.

Royal

I thought that he probably adopted the Ren surname like a title similar to the way the Sith used Darth.

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
I believe I read that the Order of the Knights of Ren is something ancient, and has to do with Snoke, who bestowed the mantle of leadership upon Kylo. The Ren suffix is a title, like Darth.

As for the choosing of "Kylo", I read a theory that it's simply a mix between Skywalker and Solo... KY-LO.. Knowing how character names like Artoo-Deetoo were invented, I don't find that hard to believe at all.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I believe I read that the Order of the Knights of Ren is something ancient, and has to do with Snoke, who bestowed the mantle of leadership upon Kylo. The Ren suffix is a title, like Darth.

As for the choosing of "Kylo", I read a theory that it's simply a mix between Skywalker and Solo... KY-LO.. Knowing how character names like Artoo-Deetoo were invented, I don't find that hard to believe at all.
Probably but it could also have some real world influence like how J.J named BB8 after the Beastie Boys.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
That is very nearly a hipster Avatar. The only thing missing is a vinyl record and a PBR.

I do wonder if the Knights of Ren are purely something that Kylo Ren made up as part of his emo rebellious youth, or if they tie into something more ancient. Since his given name is Ben I could see him altering that to Ren and then adopting the Kylo business, or it could just be a coincidence that Ben and Ren are similar.
Disney wants a new universe. So I would bet real money the Sith and Jedi are just how the Core Worlds handled the mysterious magic known as the Force. The Knights of Ren are another part of the Galaxy's way of handling it.

The Counter Arguement would be to point out Kylo is so obsessed with Vader he's acting just like a Sith anyway even to the point where he wiped out the Jedi...again. So what's the difference other than semantics?

Edit: also worth mentioning I doubt Disney even has a concrete story yet. They don't want to write themselves into a corner.