Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
1514980592654.png

• 9Barf
  • 6Picard
Reactions: 14 users

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Rustled by a friend of a friend who is arguing Luke had a "great arc", was "sick of all the Jedi BS' and didn't really try to kill Ben Solo.

The only Jedi experiences he had were with Obi Wan, Yoda and his father whom he successfully saved. I mean holy fuck.

I don't know how we can assume that his only jedi experiences were the ones we saw on screen in the OT. Luke having further conversations with Ben, Yoda, and Anakin in the intervening years as well as finding bits and pieces of jedi teachings and history that the Empire hadn't managed to destroy is more likely than him just sitting around talking to himself as the only living jedi, especially since he was intent on rebuilding the order at one time. Maybe you have never looked at some of what the jedi were peddling and thought it was fucked up but I have (specifically the parts with how they "recruit") and I'm sure I'm not alone in that. And I would think that at some point Luke would have had to wrestle with the fact that had his father not broke from jedi teachings he and Leia would have never been born. After failing with his academy I can see how a person with all of that on their plate who believes in a higher power might conclude that power has a plan that doesn't include the jedi anymore.

We've seen hints of this before now in some other characters like Ahsoka. She didn't go as far in that direction as Luke did but she also came to feel that while the jedi weren't bad there was something fundamentally wrong with the order.

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
A lot of the explanation of the First Order, what we have of it so far, is covered in the novels that have come out since TFA. I know that doesn't make it work nearly as well for the more casual moviegoer but I think they feel like they give them enough to get from point A to B to C as much as is necessary in the movies and let the more interested fans find that stuff out in the books if it interests them.

Most of the Imperial Fleet actually survived Endor and they were gradually worn down afterwards, with their last gasp having been at the Battle of Jakku. Palps plan, should he be killed or the defeat of the Empire appear to be inevitable, was to ravage as much of the galaxy as possible then have what remained of the Imperial forces retreat into the Unknown Regions to gather strength for an eventual return. That's when they rebranded themselves the First Order and where Snoke entered the picture. They built themselves back up over time with some assistance with the systems that believed in Imperial rule but felt that it had just been the leadership that was flawed.

Leia did go on to become a major player in the New Republic that was established after the Empire was overthrown. When she was seeking the Chancellorship one of her political opponents (who was an Imperial sympathizer) discovered that her real father had been Darth Vader and made that information public, which undermined her political authority and cost her the election. That was when she left the Senate and started raising a private military to push back against the Imperial remnant that had started to reemerge, which she felt was a precursor to a broader war against the New Republic.

I get it, I do, but I don't have to like it. I'm not so casual that I don't care who is who or what is what in a movie if there is ACTION, but I'm not hard core enough to go out and read fan fiction just to know what the hell is going on in a movie. Seriously, I have yet to read a star wars novel that doesn't feel blah. I think it's crap that they set this up from the beginning like this, instead of using cinema to explain all of that in a movie, I have to go read some books that are in general horribly written? Oh well, I guess I'll give these a shot. But this is like Final Fantasy XV. To fully understand the story, I have to watch a movie, and some anime, instead of the developers just using the primary medium to tell the entire thing. It's just dumb.

• 4Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Royal

I get it, I do, but I don't have to like it. I'm not so casual that I don't care who is who or what is what in a movie if there is ACTION, but I'm not hard core enough to go out and read fan fiction just to know what the hell is going on in a movie. Seriously, I have yet to read a star wars novel that doesn't feel blah. I think it's crap that they set this up from the beginning like this, instead of using cinema to explain all of that in a movie, I have to go read some books that are in general horribly written? Oh well, I guess I'll give these a shot.

I haven't read most of it myself. I've read Bloodline which goes into the political stuff with Leia and some of how the FO was being supported by certain figures and I would rate that book as merely ok. The post RotJ demise of the Empire and setting up people who would later become important to the FO is in the Aftermath trilogy which I haven't read and don't really intend to. You may want to do like I did and just hit up Wookieepedia for any parts of it you're curious about.

Last edited:

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
I haven't read most of it myself. I've read Bloodline which goes into the political stuff with Leia and some of how the FO was being supported by certain figures and I would rate that book as merely ok. The post RotJ demise of the Empire and setting up people who would later become important to the FO is in the Aftermath trilogy which I haven't read and don't really intend to. You may want to do like I did and just hit up Wookieepedia for any parts of it you're curious about.

Ok cool, and I might. I still hate that, and have hated it since the Matrix did it with the Animatrix stuff. I don't mind a franchise branching across different mediums but keep the stories self contained in each medium. Like the KOTR games were set way in the past. The EU books were just a simple continuation of where the movies had left off. But don't force me to jump mediums just to have an idea of what is going on in the main one. I don't like reading star wars novels because what makes them so good to me does not translate well to the written page. And so far most of their cartoons have been meh too, which sucked for Revenge of the Sith since some of the major characters were mostly in the cartoons. (The robot guy)

Royal

Ok cool, and I might. I still hate that, and have hated it since the Matrix did it with the Animatrix stuff. I don't mind a franchise branching across different mediums but keep the stories self contained in each medium.

That's definitely not the approach that Lucasfilm takes with the expanded material. They populate those with interconnections with the movies to get people interested in them and feel like they're worth investing time and money into. In some cases they end up relying too much on those to prop up weak stories. But sometimes they do hit a pretty good balance. It's often interesting to see how people and events we're familiar with from the movies are perceived through different eyes.

As for the movies I agree they should have done a better job giving the FO and The Resistance some background but really not a lot more than what we got in them. Just a few major points. You don't have to go too far down the path of philosophical differences in governance before people start getting flashbacks to the taxation of trade routes.

Caliane

yeah. its partially interesting that while it was NOTED, by viewers/critis in TFA, the mental gymnastics required for the First order and Resistance was stupid. it wasn't till this movie, that it really just totally fell apart. Maybe people just assumed, there was more world,s Republic forces out there?

Was it because the end of The force Awakens totally failed to get across The First Order won? They destroy the base yes.. but, the Senate is gone, the other worlds surrendered. Snoke, etc, are all alive and well.

How much of the backstory is books, etc, vs hinted at in TFA? I'd say this is a big deal. the Text crawl in TFA does not explain shit about the the first orders rise, or excuse for the "resistance" existing.
Hux's speech could have been an exposition dump on the Republics failings, and how we got here. it wasn't. "They disarmed the galaxy. Leaving chaos, murder, anarchy among the defenseless systems. We will step in and bring order to the Republic. The cowardly Resistance are traitors, and terrorists"

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
We've seen hints of this before now in some other characters like Ahsoka. She didn't go as far in that direction as Luke did but she also came to feel that while the jedi weren't bad there was something fundamentally wrong with the order.

Yeah being handed over to be executed for a crime you didn't commit can cause you to hold a grudge. If anything, I'd say she went farther than Luke did.

Royal

yeah. its partially interesting that while it was NOTED, by viewers/critis in TFA, the mental gymnastics required for the First order and Resistance was stupid. it wasn't till this movie, that it really just totally fell apart. Maybe people just assumed, there was more world,s Republic forces out there?

The individual systems still had their own defense forces which was given a nod when Snoke said he had his legions deployed across the galaxy to consolidate control. That was one of the ideas behind the downsizing of the centralized military of the New Republic. It would be harder for anyone to rise to power and pull a Palpatine if a few individual systems could band together and match the Republic forces.

Royal

Yeah being handed over to be executed for a crime you didn't commit can cause you to hold a grudge. If anything, I'd say she went farther than Luke did.

Well she did outright leave the order so you're right on that count. But in her later interactions with Kanan and Ezra she didn't try to dissuade either of them from walking that path, she just stood firm in that she wasn't going to.

spronk

FPS noob
todays the last day TLJ is playing at my local dolby atmos digital theater, i'm gonna go see it one more time (Jumanji replaces it tomorrow). It'll be better on third watch, right

• 5Picard
  • 1Barf
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 6 users

Royal

If you didn't like it the first two times I don't think I'd take a third time is the charm approach.

• 2Like

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
todays the last day TLJ is playing at my local dolby atmos digital theater, i'm gonna go see it one more time (Jumanji replaces it tomorrow). It'll be better on third watch, right

*flips table*

• 3Worf
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 5 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

Was it because the end of The force Awakens totally failed to get across The First Order won? They destroy the base yes.. but, the Senate is gone, the other worlds surrendered. Snoke, etc, are all alive and well.

How much of the backstory is books, etc, vs hinted at in TFA? I'd say this is a big deal. the Text crawl in TFA does not explain shit about the the first orders rise, or excuse for the "resistance" existing.
Hux's speech could have been an exposition dump on the Republics failings, and how we got here. it wasn't. "They disarmed the galaxy. Leaving chaos, murder, anarchy among the defenseless systems. We will step in and bring order to the Republic. The cowardly Resistance are traitors, and terrorists"

This video really puts it in perspective as far as the DESTRUCTION goes, forget deconstructing. Nobody would have thought General Hux was going to become a "ya momma bitch" character in TLJ who plays with a dildo on the bridge of his ship when nobody is looking. I get he was being set up as a cuck in TFA, but he was still to be taken very seriously. He was more along the lines of an OT/prequel character than he was to the NT side of things. Rian really went out of his way to trample and maim everything JJ and Kasdan set up.

You guys talk about the humor. Its more than humor. It was a destruction of the antagonists, and in this so-called space opera that is more than a boner-killer for the whole trilogy. TFA will be that "yeah what happened" movie.

Who can take Hux seriously again in Ep 9 (unless JJ pulls the Gavinmad Bad Dream sequence). I won't put money up for that. I need serious respectable antagonists in my Star Wars movies.

Last edited:
  • 4Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Who can take Hux seriously again in Ep 9 (unless JJ pulls the Gavinmad Bad Dream sequence). I won't put money up for that. I need serious respectable antagonists in my Star Wars movies.

This is a good point I hadn't really considered. No one in the First Order seems at all ominous or powerful. I mean... they TELL us that Kylo has the most raw force power ever seen over and over but they never actually show it to us. The guy who supposedly man handled Luke looks like a chump in almost every fight scene he's in. The only thing he manages to wreck is his stupid helmet.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
saw this for third and final time today, and yeah the shitty parts of the movie really suck, i fell asleep twice too. Still, that six minute scene where Luke walks out of the Crait mining base and faces Kylo is pretty awesome, especially for a kid who grew up worshipping Luke Skywalker. I never thought in the past 35 years since ROTJ I'd ever see Luke Skywalker on screen again, and it sucks balls I don't get to see Luke's life in the 25 years in between ROTJ and TFA, but after pirate TLJ blurays are out I will definitely be cutting that six minute scene into a clip and adding it to my semi annual ANH/ESB/ROTJ marathon.

Maybe mix it in with the Rogue One vader scene.

I did notice a lot more "girl power" moments, like there are a few where Holdo is surrounded by women as she talks down to Poe, that stuff was really disappointing. I almost yelled at the screen when Rose looks around the Crait base and says "this is all the rebels left?" BITCH THIS IS YOUR FUCKING FAULT HOPE THOSE GODDAMN HORSE CATS WERE WORTH IT

• 5Picard
Reactions: 4 users

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
saw this for third and final time today, and yeah the shitty parts of the movie really suck, i fell asleep twice too. Still, that six minute scene where Luke walks out of the Crait mining base and faces Kylo is pretty awesome, especially for a kid who grew up worshipping Luke Skywalker. I never thought in the past 35 years since ROTJ I'd ever see Luke Skywalker on screen again, and it sucks balls I don't get to see Luke's life in the 25 years in between ROTJ and TFA, but after pirate TLJ blurays are out I will definitely be cutting that six minute scene into a clip and adding it to my semi annual ANH/ESB/ROTJ marathon.

Maybe mix it in with the Rogue One vader scene.

I did notice a lot more "girl power" moments, like there are a few where Holdo is surrounded by women as she talks down to Poe, that stuff was really disappointing. I almost yelled at the screen when Rose looks around the Crait base and says "this is all the rebels left?" BITCH THIS IS YOUR FUCKING FAULT HOPE THOSE GODDAMN HORSE CATS WERE WORTH IT

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users