Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
This is a stupid fucking movie.

I knew we were in trouble when Apocolpyse from DoFP sat in his X-Wing taunting that Emperial dude, I had that cemented a few minutes later when those bombers came in at the a brisk 0.2 km an hour.

When Leia did her space flying routine I wanted to walk out of the theatre and if I had not been there with my kids (and wife) I might have. The only other movie to make me want to walk out of the theatre was Transformers 2.

This movie is one of the stupidest movies I have ever scene and might rival Divergent, Pixels, and Robocop (The Remake) on how offensive and I found the writing.

Good special effects, the 'not-Hoth' section was, when Finn wasn't on the screen, actually well shot and entertanung movie making for a bit...

This is worse than Attack of the Clones, Jar-Jar might actually have been comedic relief that didn't make we want to dig up Walt Disney's corpse and drag it through the shit filled streets/sidewalks of Seattle.

This is a very, very stupid movie.

• 5Solidarity
  • 3Like
  • 3Worf
Reactions: 10 users

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
and Rey is obviously strong as balls with the force

Anakin was basically force jesus, and remember what he could do before being trained? Pod racing.

• 4Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah but the force is sentient and when it realized that Force Jesus wasn't enough, it decided it was time for Force Juanita.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Anakin was basically force jesus, and remember what he could do before being trained? Pod racing.
spj9tb9pov801.png

• 14Worf
Reactions: 13 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
MFW I realize this 2 year old meme would have been far better than what actually happened in TLJ.

S6yro3a.jpg

• 4Solidarity
  • 4Worf
Reactions: 7 users

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Week 3 numbers from box office mojo. Domestic numbers. Dethroned by Jumanji in week 3 lol

Star Wars:
The Last Jedi
Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017) - Weekly Box Office Results - Box Office Mojo

Date Rank Weekly Gross %Change Gross-to-Date Week #
Dec 15–21 1 $296,602,356 $296,602,356 1
Dec 22–28 1 $168,095,872 -43.3% $464,698,228 2
Dec 29–Jan 4 2 $84,264,374 -49.9% $548,962,602 3

Star Wars:
The Force Awakens
Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015) - Weekly Box Office Results - Box Office Mojo

Dec 18–24 1 $390,856,054 $390,856,054 1
Dec 25–31 1 $261,111,215 -33.2% $651,967,269 2
Jan 1–7 1 $118,413,774 -54.7% $770,381,043 3

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Week 3 numbers from box office mojo. Domestic numbers. Dethroned by Jumanji in week 3 lol

Star Wars:
The Last Jedi
Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017) - Weekly Box Office Results - Box Office Mojo

Dec 15–21 1 $296,602,356 $296,602,356 1
Dec 22–28 1 $168,095,872 -43.3% $464,698,228 2
Dec 29–Jan 4 2 $84,264,374 -49.9% $548,962,602 3

Star Wars:
The Force Awakens
Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015) - Weekly Box Office Results - Box Office Mojo

Dec 18–24 1 $390,856,054 $390,856,054 1
Dec 25–31 1 $261,111,215 -33.2% $651,967,269 2
Jan 1–7 1 $118,413,774 -54.7% $770,381,043 3
*dethroned by Jumanji AND Insidious part 3

Rip Star Wars

Last edited:
  • 3Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
It will all be ok, and you will realize what a great movie this was . . .

After you watch Ep IX three or four times.

• 2Barf
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures

Just how long were you expecting it to stay at No. 1 ?

2 - 4 weeks is about as long as anything holds that spot anymore. It's not just a function of how well a given movie is received but also how well the competition is. Jumanji is by most accounts a solid to good movie (I haven't seen it yet myself). As much money as TFA made it only stayed at the top for one more week that TLJ did, being unseated by The Revanent which made less money in it's entire run than Jumanji has in 3 weeks. And that doesn't mean The Revanent was a lesser film by any stretch. But being Oscar fodder it had less broad appeal than something like Jumanji would, which has some of the same nostalgia for a popular original after a long absence tailwinds helping drive up it's numbers that movies like TFA and Jurrasic World both enjoyed.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

sukik

I don't really care how long it was at number 1. I just think it's funny it was replaced by a shitty reboot. But Jumanji is lead by Dwayne Johnson who has lots of charisma. What I really see in the numbers is some Star Wars fatigue and that TLJ is a mess of a movie that's only hastening the star wars fatigue. TLJ has done about 71% of what TFA did by week 3. The next interesting comparison will be Rogue One to the Solo movie.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
I don't really care how long it was at number 1. I just think it's funny it was replaced by a shitty reboot. But Jumanji is lead by Dwayne Johnson who has lots of charisma. What I really see in the numbers is some Star Wars fatigue and that TLJ is a mess of a movie that's only hastening the star wars fatigue. TLJ has done about 71% of what TFA did by week 3. The next interesting comparison will be Rogue One to the Solo movie.
Dwayne Johnson responding to one of Royal Royal 's rambling posts white knighting Disney:

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures

Putting out even just a movie a year, if they stay at that, will most definitely erode the event status of the movies and is going to push their box office performance down to more closely resemble every other successful, big budget franchise. Provided the movies manage to retain their broad appeal. And Lucasfilm is aware of this. They even said they were considering a pause after the initial slate of 6 movies was done for precisely that reason. Disney seems to not be concerned with it though, since the RJ trilogy means they've nixed the pause idea. They may be looking at how the profit model for the franchise is configured and thinking that regular movies that are less profitable in ticket sales ends up making them more money overall on the other revenue streams it has. The box office only accounts for about 20% of what the franchise earns. Even if you add the post release revenue (DVD/Blu-ray/rentals/TV distribution rights) to that it's only a little over 40%.

As for Solo if you're interested to see if it equals Rogue One I'll save you the suspense; it's not going to. Even if you discount all of the troubled production news they're dropping that movie in the middle of a stacked summer schedule. This year is looking like it's gonna be a great one if you like movies and Solo will have to end up being uncommonly good even for a Star Wars movie to be anything other than an also ran. Something like $750 million global would not surprise me and even that will end up being out of reach if it's legitimately bad. It'll probably be #1 it's first weekend and week of release but that's about it.

Last edited:

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
This latest movie honestly has me hoping the franchise just fucking tanks completely. Force Awakens I thought was good, possibly even very good. Although it had serious flaws it was well beyond the prequels. I really liked Rey, Finn, Poe and Kylo Ren in TFA. That's an enormous accomplishment so I give that movie a lot of credit. I still enjoyed Poe and Kylo in TLJ, but Rey and Finn were wasted.

Rogue One I guess I'm the minority but I thought it was meh. Vader scene was awesome and it had some good parts. Overall it was decent.

Last Jedi completely killed it for me. 100% due to how they fucked up Luke Skywalker. Again, you fucked up Luke Skywalker, in the Star Wars franchise.

I include the complete lack of training Rey needs/gets as part of fucking up Luke. That little bit of faggotry manages to retroactively ass fuck him. But moreso the fact that Luke is completely neutered, uninspiring, weak, slapstick and wasted.... half his screen time is him complaining he doesn't want to help. We find out he wants to kill his nephew, Ben Solo, thus causing Kylo Ren to come into being. His big redemption was delaying Kylo Ren for a few minutes, after which he dies. Wow.

I do want to see it again just to be sure I'm not imagining things, but I'm not giving it my money. I'll probably torrent it or something.

• 3Solidarity
  • 2Like

sukik

Just got this advert from Fandango. See TLJ over and over and over again. It's like an advert to spend time in hell

no.jpg
no2.jpg

• 4Barf
  • 1Worf

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
It will all be ok, and you will realize what a great movie this was . . .

After you watch Ep IX three or four times.

*flips table*

Thanks, I can finally get some work done again, shit's been overturned since spronk went back for his third viewing and came back to report.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
I don't get how they could fuck up Luke Skywalkers character so badly. Between that and the flying Leia bullshit I feel like Mickey Mouse just took a giant brick in our mouths.

• 4Solidarity
  • 1Barf

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>

This post explains how Rian got the idea for the story of Luke, but doesn't make its execution any better, or less retarded.

• 2Picard
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 2 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

This post explains how Rian got the idea for the story of Luke, but doesn't make its execution any better, or less retarded.

Great point. TLJ's plot was decided by JJ when he told Mark Hamill that he absolutely could not save Han Solo despite Mark's repeated insistence that it doesn't make any sense for him NOT to save Han Solo, even if Han has to die later because Harrison Ford wants to exit the series (which he did, and he requested his own character's death-- which had a lot to do with why JJ was insistent that Luke could not save Han).

This isn't as much of Rian Johnson's fault as it is JJ's for steering him into a hole for the second movie of the trilogy. Maybe this was Smallman Johnsons's fuck you to JJ. He seems like an asshole like RLM speculated, where a lot of creative decisions come across as "fuck you"-- complete with the miniature rancor of Napolean himself. The Space Leia shit may have been a response to TFA's insistence on Mary Sue with regard to use of force powers. If RLM's speculation is accurate that makes Rian Johnson is the greatest troll of all time.

Its entirely possible Rian was just frustrated by the steering of TFA.

Does it warrant paying for Rian's trilogy and giving him another chance? Maybe, maybe not.

Last edited: