Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Game of thrones, the guys who write and produce that are working on a trilogy
and you know awesome that is when they dont have a source material to work with.
UPcmC7b.gif

• 12Worf
Reactions: 11 users

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
Ever noticed how the people who say the love TLJ are the same people who #ListenAndBelieve?

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
The Phantom Menace remains the best Star Wars movie outside of the original trilogy.

• 4Seriously?
  • 1WTF
  • 1Jonesing
Reactions: 6 users

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
Time stamped at the point that made me laugh stupidly loud in the office, gaining myself some funny looks.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
The Phantom Menace remains the best Star Wars movie outside of the original trilogy.
It's true. It was some awesome scenes (Duel of the Fates) and the bad parts are now so bad they are good, post prequelmemes.

TFA originally surpassed it but it's been tainted by TLJ ruining it's plot threads.

My thought process was:
2015: Thank god it's better than the prequels!
2017: My god, they're worse than the prequels!

• 3Like

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Time stamped at the point that made me laugh stupidly loud in the office, gaining myself some funny looks.

Thanks for reminding me that the cut-scenes in a F2P mmo are 1000x better than the new trilogy movies with 100's of millions of dollars behind them. :(

• 3Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
The Last Jedi works best if you consider it as an essentially second-half of the Force Awakens. To me that is the biggest issue with the movie -- that it takes place immediately after Force Awakens and thus doesn't give enough time to fully develop the ideas both movies set in motion.

Its a similar problem to the Attack of the Clones / Revenge of the Sith sequence in that the Clone Wars start in the last act of AotC and are over after the introductory sequence of RotS. Without the Clone Wars animated series filling in the actual Clone Wars themselves it would feel very cheap.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Thanks for reminding me that the cut-scenes in a F2P mmo are 1000x better than the new trilogy movies with 100's of millions of dollars behind them. :(

Hell, there's a scene in Thor 2 that pretty much rips off the Deceived cutscene where the Sith crash the ship into the temple. Blur Studio makes some really great shit.

• 3Like
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Hell, there's a scene in Thor 2 that pretty much rips off the Deceived cutscene where the Sith crash the ship into the temple. Blur Studio makes some really great shit.

They definitely do. I wish they would hang up the cut-scene biz and just make fucking movies.

Edit: Heh, just noticed on their website that Blur did the mostly CG prologue for Thor 2. Guess that explains the similarity.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Jive Turkey

Karen
it takes place immediately after Force Awakens

Given the passage of time between all the other movies, I just realized this was another one of fucking Rian Johnson's dumb ass "subversions of expectations" for subversion's sake

• 2Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
TLJ's Rian Johnson was SWTOR's Hero Engine. Crippled from the start with no hope for the future.

• 4Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Crippled from the start with no hope for the future.

If only Rian's parents had opted for that pubescent growth hormone therapy...

Wait no, strike that! Gotta start BEFORE puberty. Any time travelers among us?

GH treatment in ISS is usually started before the onset of puberty and continued until final height is attained

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
I think it draws a hardcore buzz for the Thrawn angle and general fan fare. JJ has demonstrated he is willing to do press for the movie, go above and beyond to tell people its different this time (while still respecting Johnson as a director).

JJ uses Thrawn to address the elephant in the room-- the lack of an Empire of any significance. It's well receieved and people are interested in Star Wars again.

Despite that possibility, I'm calling a prediction now of 950 million. Will just barely miss bombing and the GoT trilogy doesn't see a release within the next 5 years.

If Thrawn is going to be used, he should only be used at the end of 9 to show that there is hope for future Star Wars movies.

While the resistance celebrates, one of the last scenes is a First Order shuttle fleeing to a fleet of Star Destroyers. An FO officer is standing before a desk, giving a verbal report of how Snoke is dead, the First Order has scattered, etc.

Of course, behind the desk is Thrawn, who thanks the officer for the information, and then orders his XO to invite all the command staff to dinner to discuss that it's time to take action. (Thrawn could not compete with a brute force user like Snoke, so he just laid low until Snoke did something dumb to off himself.)

If they are going to use Thrawn to win back fans, they need to understand the source material, or they are just going to throw gasoline on the fire (e.g. Thrawn would be a trilogy in his own right, Thrawn isn't going to lose a battle because of the antics of a magical Jedi girl or a couple of ace pilots, and there will be no lame comedy or incompetent moves made by anyone on Thrawn's side because Thrawn would have weeded that shit out a long time ago).

You would think they couldn't do worse, but using Thrawn improperly is probably the only thing worse than making Luke a depressed quitter who fucked off to hide somewhere when his family needed him most.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Yep, would have to agree. I think there's almost no chance they don't make fans angry about Thrawn.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
There is no reason why Abrams should follow any of the bullshit that Rian Johnson pulled. i would be completely fine if they brought back Luke and Snoke through some jedi/Sith deep prophecy that says there must always be a major Light and Dark at all times in order to keep balance in the Force. It sounds stupid as fuck, but nobody will care because at least we got Snoke and Luke back in action for Abrams to continue his story arch instead of this retarded crippled mess he was left with. make no mistake there will be some retconning in his movie. there has to be.

Caliane

Episode 9 begins.
Events start off exactly the same as Episode 8. Finn wakes up startled in the bacta tank. "I had the weirdest dream"
Leia being well versed in Force prophecy asks him about it. And, they immediately do everything different to change the bad end future.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff
There really is no viable way that the story comes to a satisfactory conclusion with only one more movie left. From a narrative standpoint you can't really go from the heroes hit rock bottom to 'victory' in a single segment. I actually like the Last Jedi as a part of a bigger storyline, but it doesn't work as the middle part of a trilogy much less the penultimate episode for the whole saga.

• 1Picard
  • 1WTF
  • 1Worf

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
There really is no viable way that the story comes to a satisfactory conclusion with only one more movie left. From a narrative standpoint you can't really go from the heroes hit rock bottom to 'victory' in a single segment. I actually like the Last Jedi as a part of a bigger storyline, but it doesn't work as the middle part of a trilogy much less the penultimate episode for the whole saga.

JJ knows that. He asked for 2 movies and so far it hasn't been greenlit. (I'm thinking Solo bombing ruined any chance of a 2 part Episode 9)

I'm guessing they want to see what he's got for the bulk of a first part Episode 9 before they give serious consideration to that request. Anyway-- it was a sign that JJ at least gives a tiny bit of a fuck about storytelling. He's well aware that he needs 2 movies.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user