Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>

The "Why Star Wars failed" videos out there are a dime a dozen and I've seen a fair handful of them but this video seems to do the best job at articulating the who/what/where/why of it all without getting too anti-SJW (though he does touch upon the culture war a bit, it's not the focus).

I can't see how anyone, whether you love Star Wars or not, can watch this and not see that the oft repeated crutch that the other side uses of "toxic fandom" is just not accurate as to what's happening to the franchise... that the powers that be are just destroying it from the inside out themselves and the fans are simply... y'know... reacting to it.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
Damn they pulled it. I guess part of Iger's "give star wars a break" strategy.

I can't wait for the next installation of mystics levitating rocks. The most powerful badasses in the universe, and all they can do is levitate somewhat heavy things. AMAZING and riveting.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
I saw this at the cinema . . . hmmm.

Anyways, it's up on one of the streaming services here. Yesterday I decided to try and see how far into it I could go.

Lets see, the awkward and just childish part where Poe is doing the 'buying time with the being on hold' gag. Then the extreme low tech of the X wing having 1970's circuit board with soldered on resistors.

The pointlessly slow bombers that attack by dropping(??) their bombs at suicidal close range. even with the Dreadnought surface guns taken out, the bombers were in visible range of the other Star destroyers, which could train their guns on the bombers. Also how is that thing called a Dreadnought??? That was the name given to an English Battleship, the one that set the template for all that followed. But it was just the name.

Umm Finn wakes up in the medi lab then goes walking through the ship wearing plastic bubble suit with water pissing out everywhere.

Okay beyond that I watched some of the shit with angry old man Luke, the throwing away of the light sabre, the drinking the sea cow milk. Shut it off middle that sequence . . . the good news is that I never had to see Rose's ugly fat face.

Toxic fandom right here.

That grumpy old Luke sequence does still annoy me a lot. I can remember first seeing the movie, thinking that it was some act that Luke was doing so that Rey would need to (something like) realize that her desire to be trained wasn't enough, that she needed to understand a complete sacrifice of her old life and thinking and 100% commit to changing into a vessel for the force. <- like I said, something like that. But ultimately that there was a REASON behind Luke being like that. Then once she's made that step, then the training starts.

But no . . . he's just an angry old man.

• 4Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
thinking that it was some act that Luke was doing so that Rey would need to (something like) realize that her desire to be trained wasn't enough, that she needed to understand a complete sacrifice of her old life and thinking and 100% commit to changing into a vessel for the force. <- like I said, something like that. But ultimately that there was a REASON behind Luke being like that. Then once she's made that step, then the training starts.

But no . . . he's just an angry old man.

As if things couldn't get any more basic than the OT/Prequels.

Rian "Hold my Zima" Johnson.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
The Last Jedi is so bad. I took a break and it has been sitting in my queue. Gave it another try it is prequels bad, maybe worse. Had to turn it off.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The Last Jedi is so bad.

1550974066338.gif

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sterling

El Presidente
But they released the space horses so they were free until they got wrangled back up so it was all worth it.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
Did you guys know that weapons cause war? If there were no more weapons, there would be no more war! Why haven't we thought of this until now and why did it take an fat ugly little Asian girl to teach it to us in a Star Wars movie?

No matter, I sure am glad I know it now.

• 2Like
  • 2Worf

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Did you guys know that weapons cause war? If there were no more weapons, there would be no more war! Why haven't we thought of this until now and why did it take an fat ugly little Asian girl to teach it to us in a Star Wars movie?

No matter, I sure am glad I know it now.

Disney can duck these two clenched fists.

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
I actually watched a little more last night, I'm just taking it in little short viewings, helps lower the nausea / rage / rape.

Yeah the Rose and Finn sidetrip, freeing the space horses ( that whole bit feels like it was written by a 7 year old girl "They then get on the big horses that crash through all the horrible people's building and then once that's done they rush off into the hills where they're free ) The whole damn trip was pointless.

Then the infuriating situation with General Fem-bitch who simply doesn't tell anyone what the plan is despite being straight up asked multiple times by Poe, but clearly his feeling represents a larger group and just settling the anxiety should be an obvious and high importance . . . but No! just follow orders.

Also a minor point that bugged me . . . when the Star destroyers and Snoke's big ship are firing on the Alliance ships, their turbo-laser 'bolts' do a ballistic arc, as if pulled by gravity???

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
My only regret over not paying to see this in theatres was missing out on two dozen prime moments to stand up, exclaim "fuck this shit" and walk out.

• 8Worf
Reactions: 7 users

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Also a minor point that bugged me . . . when the Star destroyers and Snoke's big ship are firing on the Alliance ships, their turbo-laser 'bolts' do a ballistic arc, as if pulled by gravity???

I believe "laser" is star wars is not "LASER" as we know it, but something blaster-related, insomuch that it fires something with some amount of matter to it. Like a plasma bolt or something. Or A Space Wizard did it.

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
^^^ I do agree with that in the way that it moves as a blob of something, a lump of energy.

Plus it travels at a slow pace which again gives credit to the idea that it's a lump of plasma energy fired out of the gun, some kind of surface tension holds it in a consistent enough shape.

But how does gravity affect its travel??

Also in this scene they weren't over the top of any planet. They were, by Poe's words, out in the middle of nowhere.

AS I was writing this I thought of our lost forum buddy Woolygimp . . . man he'd have been all over this movie with its breechs of established SW physics and lore.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Star Wars weapons would be particle beam weapons more similar to particle accelerators/colliders than thermal lasers. The particles we experiment with are charged and we curve them in circles using electromagnets, so the whole idea of a "deflector shield" would be to deflect energy or curve it away instead of towards you.

AKA this might be another TLJ retarded physics example like vertical dropped bombs.