Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Runnen

Vyemm Raider

Haha I see.. well, that's nothing new, the same thing happened in ROTS, that's how he fucked his own face up. Or his glamour at least.

I'm sure Disney will release a comic or a novel that explains how once your Force Lightning gets tangled into a lightsaber you can't stop it or something.. like the Schwartz.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Nidhogg

Molten Core Raider
I'm genuinely curious, what do you find retarded about it?

We've clearly seen lightsabers being used to contain and deflect Force Lightning before (in the prequels), so what's your beef with that scene?
Probably the fact that if palps was having his own force lightning turned on him, he could I dont know stop using force lightning?

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
Okay so..

Before I tell you anything about how I liked TROS, here's my take on the other movies.

Prequels - mostly terrible, a few good ideas sprinkled here and there but overall wasted, learned to not let them bother me too much after a while.
Classics - love them. All of them, including ROTJ.
Rogue One - really liked it.. especially that ending, damn.
Solo - ehhh... it was alright, I guess?
Sequels - I liked TFA, I understand it's a beat for beat remix of ANH but I liked it because it was mostly harmless after the prequels. TLJ was super disappointing and a huge waste of potential.

So for me, TROS had a LOT to fix and catch up on after the mess TLJ left behind.

Did it solve all the problems? Some. It feels like a movie that has to do a metric fuckton of things, and it goes at breakneck pace to accomplish it but ultimately it doesn't solve everything. It has some cool scenes, some cool ideas, some bad scenes and some bad ideas.. I'd say it's almost as harmless as TFA because nothing in TROS made me ANGRY like TLJ did, but after the rage TLJ unleashed this will not be enough for some people.

Below are spoilers, you've been warned.

What I liked (in no particular order) :
- Palpatine returns immediately, no fake suspense.
- Sith holocrons (albeit not named as such) and a sort of Valley of the Sith Lords (though why they didn't name the planet Dromund Kaas is beyond me..)
- Rey finally makes her own saber (and the blade is yellow, predictable but I liked it).
- Leia's death and overall scenes were handled well.
- Force Ghost Luke had a really cool scene.
- Finn, Poe and Rey have a cool dynamic and chemistry, I liked their scenes together, it felt like an adventure or a quest.
- "Force Ghost Han Solo" (which he totally wasn't, he's not translucent or blue, he's just a memory from Kylo's tortured psyche obviously) was a pretty cool scene, echoing the end of TFA and giving "Kylo Ren" a satisfying conclusion before Ben Solo returns.

What I didn't really like (in no particular order) :
- Palpatine's zombie look was meh. And the acting was too hammy, a bit too much like ROTS Palpatine and not enough ROTJ Palpatine.
- The Sith "crowd" is unexplained.. was it all the ghosts of past Sith as implied by Palpatine? Sith adepts? It's not really explained.
- I didn't like Rey's origins. I expected she would be a Palpatine but her having parents kind of defeats the purpose of her visions in the dark side cave. I thought she would be a clone experiment done by Palpatine, and was abandonned on Jakku by a disloyal mook of Palpatine that took pity on a child... but her being the daughter of Palpatine's son is weird because if Palpatine was so insistent on having his grand-daughter taken to him as a child, why did he not do the same with his own son too? Why was his son able to roam the galaxy freely, marry a good woman, etc..? It just feels like a plot hole that didn't need to be there, especially since cloning is mentioned in the movie so we know it's not off the table, and we see Palpatine has been able to manufacture beings (Snoke).
- The space pony charge on the Star Destroyer was predictably retarded...but thankfully lasts only like 5 seconds which makes it all the more retarded because it was useless.

Holy shit, I was right?! I was making a fucking joke.

Palpatine and Aunt Beru.

Uncle Owen is The Skywalker and he mad.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
Probably the fact that if palps was having his own force lightning turned on him, he could I dont know stop using force lightning?

Yeah but like I said above, Palpatine did the same mistake in ROTS.. it's not like he's the best at making short-term decisions.. he's a good schemer and manipulator but ultimately he judges people wrongly (both Luke and Rey, and even Vader), hubris is his worst enemy, he keeps underestimating his opponents and his powers always turn back on him.

Nidhogg

Molten Core Raider
I guess it just makes him seem like a one trick pony. I mean force lightning isn't just his signature move, it's his only move iirc from any of the films. How exactly is he the penultimate sith lord when he has so little variety or control?

Just makes him being the ultimate baddy... a big flop. The OG trilogy he was the man behind the curtain but Vader was the true sith dominance. There is no vader quality baddy so palps had to step up for any of his clout from previous movies to have any weight. How did he not just get laughed out of sith school with how lame he is with the force.

Smh

• 1Like

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Haha I see.. well, that's nothing new, the same thing happened in ROTS, that's how he fucked his own face up. Or his glamour at least.

I'm sure Disney will release a comic or a novel that explains how once your Force Lightning gets tangled into a lightsaber you can't stop it or something.. like the Schwartz.

I think the difference is Palps 1.) Stopped before he was vaporized. 2.) Was in a position where he could not retreat or otherwise avoid the incoming saber execution and the lightning was his only defense.

Him burning in ROTS was set up a lot better, literally his back was against the wall. In this he just looks like an idiot, lol. But this is kind of symbolic of all of these movies. They take the same concepts, but they don't take the time to understand why they happened before--they just kind of toss it in like nostalgia kibble. (Not that ROTS was done well...it was just moderately better than this.)

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
I think the difference is Palps 1.) Stopped before he was vaporized. 2.) Was in a position where he could not retreat or otherwise avoid the incoming saber execution and the lightning was his only defense.

Him burning in ROTS was set up a lot better, literally his back was against the wall. In this he just looks like an idiot, lol. But this is kind of symbolic of all of these movies. They take the same concepts, but they don't take the time to understand why they happened before--they just kind of toss it in like nostalgia kibble. (Not that ROTS was done well...it was just moderately better than this.)

I won't defend the new movies overmuch, they have a ton of flaws and some good things. But as someone that saw the whole movie, if Palpatine's lightning in that scene was on the same level as what he used in the scene just before this video, it's not a matter of "will I fuck my face up" and more like "will the planet survive this counterblast".. the power levels in this movie are off the charts, for everyone.

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
So Runnen Runnen what was Snoke explained to be?

He's handwaved almost immediately as a creation of Palpatine, we see a glimpse of another Snoke body / head in a vat or tank. Palpatine mentions how he's been manipulating Ben Solo since his childhood basically, all to lead him to that scene where they meet, early in the movie.

My pet theory before this was that Snoke was a Sith adept that was doing research on some forbidden holocrons and accidently revived Palpatine's ghost and was possessed by him (leading to the fucked up scarred body from super dark side possession I guess) and would have explained how such a powerful dark side master emerged from seemingly nowhere all of a sudden, and Palpatine wanting either Ben or Rey to come to him to get a new, better body... but I guess this will do, at least he wasn't a super secret ancient sith master that we never knew about, he was just a fabricated facade for Palpatine before he was ready to announce his return.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Mandalorian is an average show with a star wars skin. It's not particularly good, but it's not aggressively shit like TLJ was so there's that.
Not aggressively shit makes it the best star wars we've seen in decades.

Can't wait to see this. Managed to avoid all the spoilers, but the reaction seems to be just as negative as I expected. This is gonnna ROCK. And don't worry faggots, gonna be watching the cam version.

• 1Like

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
To whoever said a few weeks back

“lulz you nerds will go see it it’s Star Wars!!!11!”

well...

I’d rather watch the Christmas Special on repeat while performing Seppuku than see this.

1576684057983.gif

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
The acting in that final clip is terrible. She looks like she's just standing there with any angry look on her face, not like she's fighting back against on onslaught of magic. I know there's a precedent for 'force lightning' or whatever but call a spade a spade, he's using shitty space magic and has used the same shitty space magic every movie he's been in.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
So lets be clear..This movie's title is Rise of Skywalker and...
By the end of the film the last Skywalker dies while a Palpatine becomes the ultimate Jedi? So Palpatine's family line kills off the Skywalker line in the end? LOL

• 8Worf
  • 1Blown
  • 1Like
Reactions: 9 users

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
The acting in that final clip is terrible. She looks like she's just standing there with any angry look on her face, not like she's fighting back against on onslaught of magic. I know there's a precedent for 'force lightning' or whatever but call a spade a spade, he's using shitty space magic and has used the same shitty space magic every movie he's been in.

Honestly upon rewatching the scene, it's unclear whether she's just pushing his own lightning back on him or adding her own into it (you can see massive surges striking Palpatine before he disintegrates).. she's shown to use VERY powerful Force Lightning earlier in the movie, so it's possible she was channeling it through her sabers and adding to his own to strike back... guess we'll never know, but it makes for some head canon I suppose.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So lets be clear..This movie's title is Rise of Skywalker and...
By the end of the film the last Skywalker dies while a Palpatine becomes the ultimate Jedi? So Palpatine's family line kills off the Skywalker line in the end? LOL
That's what happens when you come up with the name of your movie, before you pick one of your 8 endings. Fucking amateurs.

• 4Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm genuinely curious, what do you find retarded about it?

We've clearly seen lightsabers being used to contain and deflect Force Lightning before (in the prequels), so what's your beef with that scene?
My issue is that she doesnt spend 5 min yelling Kaaaaaa meeee haaaaa meeee haaaaa as she super pushed it back at him.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
That's what happens when you come up with the name of your movie, before you pick one of your 8 endings. Fucking amateurs.
Regarding the title and the ending...
In the end, Rey Palpatine decides that she prefers to be known as Rey Skywalker from then on because she owes more to the teachings of Luke and Leia and nothing to Palpatine, her blood doesn't define who she is, her heart and soul do.

Since I can see this post is getting a lot of love, I'd like to point out I'm not writing this as my own poetic interpretation, I'm just stating the movie dialogue right there.

Last edited:
  • 5Barf
  • 1Picard
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 8 users

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
My issue is that she doesnt spend 5 min yelling Kaaaaaa meeee haaaaa meeee haaaaa as she super pushed it back at him.

Oh definitely, it was a mix of Cell vs Gohan and Voldemort vs Harry in that scene. The dialogue was meh, but the visuals were pretty cool, and the room it takes place in is pretty cool too.