Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
None of that is in 7-9. Literally none of it.

Oh sorry I left out 'Imperial Remnant gets ass kicked by New Republic over and over until it has to beg for peace after being driven into a corner of the Outer Rim, and Mara Jade fights a clone of Luke named Luuke'

Fuck those books. While they're far better than most of the EU garbage, they're also wildly overrated and in a roundabout way they're probably the reason why George came back to do the prequels.

They didn't kill off Thrawn on Rebels, which leaves him open for use later

I mean yeah they didn't flat out say that Ezra and Thrawn are dead. But Ezra and Thrawn are probably dead.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
I mean yeah they didn't flat out say that Ezra and Thrawn are dead. But Ezra and Thrawn are probably dead.

ThirdParallelIberianmole-size_restricted.gif

• 7Worf
Reactions: 6 users

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
I'm generally a Abrams apologist, and don't think anyone could simultaneously finish the trilogy, finish the nonology, and dig themselves out of Rian Johnson's mess. And that is all on Kathleen Kennedy and the brass above her for not plotting any of this out ahead of time.

My spoilery question is, screw any of these characters, what is the state of the universe at the end? Is it just the rebellion / resistance has won a battle but the empire / first order still rules the galaxy? Because then nothing's changed in decades, they just swap the names once a generation to get new toy sales.

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
See...that's why I hate all the SJW/anti SJW stuff about Last Jedi. It gives defenders an excuse to go back and forth about that rather than discuss why it was simply a bad movie. I could give two shits about who they casted for Rose and the general that hyperspaced her ship into the other, or all the Force is female stuff. None of that has anything to do with the basic plot of Last Jedi being mostly shitty. It doesn't have anything to do with there being way too many subplots to make sense of.

I know it triggers the fuck out of a lot of people here but it doesn't even begin to drill down to the most basic problems the movie has on its own, and as the followup to TFA before it, or as the 8th movie of 3 sets of trilogies.

But shoehorning that agenda may be almost entirely why the whole thing comes off the rails.

Men, sit back and let the ladies handle it was half the reason for so many dumb scenes aka Mary Poppins Leia, Mary Sue Rey, Horsie Rose and Hyperspace Torpedo Laura Dern (I don’t even remember her name). Captain of the Stormtroopers? A girl (albeit complete waste of a character).

The men are all relegated to idiot status. Poe had to be arrested. Kylo is a baby. The leader of the First Order turned into Colonel Klink, nevermind the shit they did to Luke and Ackbar.

All of it, all of it is because of the agenda. There is no separating the the agenda from the movie and the movie from the agenda. It was supposed to be Star Woke, and it turned into Star Joke, which is gonna make it go Star Broke.

• 11Like
  • 5Worf
  • 2Mother of God
Reactions: 21 users

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
All of it, all of it is because of the agenda. There is no separating the the agenda from the movie and the movie from the agenda. It was supposed to be Star Woke, and it turned into Star Joke, which is gonna make it go Star Broke.

I bet your feeling awfully proud of yourself right about now.

• 6Worf
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 8 users

Fadaar

That guy
The first like 3-4 were good but then it trailed off from there. Probably because Stackpole stopped writing the series.

Aaron Alston's efforts weren't THAT bad, but yeah Stackpole's novels were better. I still have all the books in a box somewhere along with the Thrawn trilogy.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I was trying to bait the Gavinmad hot take this entire time. Finally got the motherfucker after over-posting about the Zahn trilogy for the 11th time.
Aaron Alston's efforts weren't THAT bad, but yeah Stackpole's novels were better. I still have all the books in a box somewhere along with the Thrawn trilogy.

Likewise. Mines in a see-through plastic.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
But shoehorning that agenda may be almost entirely why the whole thing comes off the rails.

Men, sit back and let the ladies handle it was half the reason for so many dumb scenes aka Mary Poppins Leia, Mary Sue Rey, Horsie Rose and Hyperspace Torpedo Laura Dern (I don’t even remember her name). Captain of the Stormtroopers? A girl (albeit complete waste of a character).

The men are all relegated to idiot status. Poe had to be arrested. Kylo is a baby. The leader of the First Order turned into Colonel Klink, nevermind the shit they did to Luke and Ackbar.

See the Laura Dern moment didn't seem to actually accomplish much (at least the effect on the plot, visually that scene actually looked cool), because she looked dumb for not telling everyone her grand plan, and since all it did was to allow the Resistance to strand themselves down on the planet it really didn't accomplish much without Luke and Rey saving them down there anyways.

The Mary Poppins Leia felt less like a "ladies handle it" and more just a "btw the Force users can now do absolutely ridiculous things that we never knew was possible to all the previous force users before" with Luke also being able to project himself across the galaxy to fight Kylo and save the rest of the Resistance by buying enough time. I mean I get it, the Force and all that...but just seemed like more of RJ's we'll come up with crazy shit for shock value that was applied equally stupidly throughout. Mary Sue Rey kind of falls into the same category but at least in theory we assume she's had some heavy training with Luke (who apparently learned to do more with his Force projection than any of the other Jedi Masters in history). Although I agree everything else they do with Luke's character was just straight shit.

Agreed most of the Rose shit was dumb. Frankly everything with her and Finn's whole sidequest was stupid. Bring in greed/war/save the animals bs, and lets make sure we have a way to squeeze in a role for Benecio Del Toro, even if it makes so little sense.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Good lord the more I try to remember Last Jedi's plot the worse and worse it gets. They really spent half the movie with the Speed spaceship chase scene somehow shitting out all these pointless subplots.

Although at least it didn't have a horseback charge across the deck of an in flight Star Destroyer.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Great Review
Reactions: 2 users

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
On a brighter note, the Rise of the Resistance ride at Galaxy's Edge has received very high marks. lol