Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

iannis

Musty Nester
Well... they tried.

It seems like JJ makes a specific type of movie. I dunno why they don't just allow him to make that movie instead of giving him franchises to ruin by trying to shoehorn in his personal tastes.

His movies are generic, banal, somewhat optimistic, pretty, bright, and vapid. Which is fine and not a condemnation. He's actually pretty good at those.

But why keep giving him iconic properties? He apparently either has no interest in modifying his style to suit them or no ability to.

But you can trust him with half a billion dollars, I guess. I'm sure that ain't nothing.

• 1Barf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Jive Turkey

Karen

Specifically, in the first episode, there's one female character wearing a mask who speaks, and two female characters total, along with a few women spotted as extras in the background of shots. More female characters are expected to play larger roles in future episodes.

"Even if you want to give the show the benefit of the doubt and say there's some big, wild justification that's going to come around in episode 7, it feels wrong that the vast majority of this world is populated by men or male-identified characters," Sarkeesian said.

Didn't want to post this in the Mando thread since there is actual live discussion of current media there. But essentially "I dislike this because there are too many men" is valid criticism that national publications will print. Just want everyone to try to imagine the reaction of a man said this about a medium in reverse..."I don't like this because there are too many women". The calls of misogyny would be overwhelming. In fact, you can point to recent cases of just that, like with GhostBusters or Oceans Midol. Not in reverse though.

I think earlier in the thread there was a discussion about not liking a show simply for having X gender too much. And I agree, that's a silly metric to dislike something on. Unfortunately, the other side of this debate will use that metric, and unlike some forum shitposters who might reach a few dozen people; they will be published in major media and reach hundreds of thousands. On the other side of this debate, this lunacy isn't seen as lunacy, its normal.

That idiot originally tweeted that there were no women with speaking roles in the first episode. Pretty sure she just scrubbed through looking for faces instead of actually watching the show. If she had watched, she'd have known from the beginning about the head Mandalorian warrior

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
But you can trust him with half a billion dollars, I guess. I'm sure that ain't nothing.

We're closing in on half a billion and another quarter billion dollars for this outing.

That's a horse of a different color. He's never worked a budget this large. The risk and exposure is almost double his other projects.

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
I gave up on JJ after that last season of Lost. What a cunt.
I hate him even more for not following up Cloverfield with a sequel about the epic monster.
The third Cloverfield movie was such a bullshit move to not have to revisit the content.

This is going to be a total
giphy.gif

I bet it'll still do well at the box office internationally.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I read a comment on YouTube which I am starting to agree:
"thank God for rian johnson killing star wars"

• 3Like

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Well... they tried.

It seems like JJ makes a specific type of movie. I dunno why they don't just allow him to make that movie instead of giving him franchises to ruin by trying to shoehorn in his personal tastes.

His movies are generic, banal, somewhat optimistic, pretty, bright, and vapid. Which is fine and not a condemnation. He's actually pretty good at those.

But why keep giving him iconic properties? He apparently either has no interest in modifying his style to suit them or no ability to.

HA! I just watched a video yesterday (Critical Drinker? Computing Forever?) that basically said - How could you give JJ the reigns of a beloved sci-fi franchise after he effectively just left off ruining another beloved sci-fi franchise?

I mean, the old Star Trek movies are generally meh, but the JJ movies completely lost the thread of what made Star Trek = Star Trek and, as you say, JJ just made a JJ movie: a formulaic, flashy, colorful, brain-dead action movie with one dimensional, forgettable characters. Which is literally the antithesis of Star Trek.

So how would this Star Wars effort be any different?

And I completely agree with you. Outside of the fact that they were Star Trek movies, they weren't terribad. I didn't HATE them. But they were not cerebral or message-filled and you forget the details a minute after turning them off. I mean, when Cummerbund said "I am Khan" in that prison cell in the second movie, it was so.........useless? It was literally - here is this old Star Trek thing, recognize it as such and think it is cool but let's move on quickly because to the actual people in the movie it means nothing and is just a name.

• 1Like

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
I mean, the old Star Trek movies are generally meh, but the JJ movies completely lost the thread of what made Star Trek = Star Trek and, as you say, JJ just made a JJ movie: a formulaic, flashy, colorful, brain-dead action movie with one dimensional, forgettable characters. Which is literally the antithesis of Star Trek.

Thats a pretty good description of Star Wars though which makes sense because Star Wars is the anti-thesis to Star Trek

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Thats a pretty good description of Star Wars though which makes sense because Star Wars is the anti-thesis to Star Trek

You know what? Fair enough. If JJ made a new flashy, colorful, shallow Star Wars movie that was basically the spaghetti westerns that inspired the originals but slightly modernized - I would be all in. As long as he bailed on the Mary Sue bullshit and just made something fun I would give my monies.

Little bit of conflict and character development. Some ground action. A bad guy to actually fear. A good....person......to relate to as a main character with an actual struggle and not instantly expert at everything. Culminating in a grand space battle. There's your formula. Insert special effects. Win.

• 2Like
  • 1Dislike

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Fresh heat by Doomcock up today.

Goes over JJ Abrams Esquire magazine comments. He postulates JJ Abrams publicly acknowledging the movement that Doomcock is a part of, is a hat tip in itself by Disney and a white flag being waved-- prior to massive expected changes coming to the handling of the IP over the next 10 years. Most likely once Kennedy steps down or runs her contract out.

JJ confirms re-shoots in Esquire.

• 2Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Fresh heat by Doomcock up today.

Goes over JJ Abrams Esquire magazine comments. He postulates JJ Abrams publicly acknowledging the movement that Doomcock is a part of, is a hat tip in itself by Disney and a white flag being waved-- prior to massive expected changes coming to the handling of the IP over the next 10 years. Most likely once Kennedy steps down or runs her contract out.

JJ confirms re-shoots in Esquire.

them admitting they havent finished is a huge vindication of DVD and his rumors.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
them admitting they havent finished is a huge vindication of DVD and his rumors.

Which makes me wonder if the Falcon scene is truly locked in as last reported. It seems the movie isn't even done being pieced together yet.

And with 300m+ spent on re-shoots, its anyone's guess what kind of storylines they could have replaced that scene with. But like Gavinmad said, if that's a real scene it seems very difficult to cut that and not have gaping holes in continuity of the story being told, even with extensive re-shoots.

I'm leaning toward it not being cut and that it's a sure thing.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Thing is, Leia was added to the force ghost summoning at the end of the movie.

So if Leia doesn't get blown up, how can she be present for the Palpatine showdown as a ghost? They would need to either cut the only female ghost from the ghosts appearance and have it be just the men, there's no way.

They have to do the Falcon scene in order to get Leia in the ghost summoning confrontation with Palps. Unless of course Leia is just going to "force project" to help out like Luke did.

Maybe the fix was rather than Leia be a ghost, she will do a Luke-style projection. And they deleted her from the Falcon scene altogether.

Last edited:

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Thing is, Leia was added to the force ghost summoning at the end of the movie.

So if Leia doesn't get blown up, how can she be present for the Palpatine showdown as a ghost? They would need to either cut the only female ghost from the ghosts appearance and have it be just the men, there's no way.

They have to do the Falcon scene in order to get Leia in the ghost summoning confrontation with Palps. Unless of course Leia is just going to "force project" to help out like Luke did.

Maybe the fix was rather than Leia be a ghost, she will do a Luke-style projection. And they deleted her from the Falcon scene altogether.
Palpy blowing up the Falcon with Leia, Lando, Chewie, Artoo and 3Po inside just to troll Rey into sperging out seems right up Abrams alley.

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
Palpy blowing up the Falcon with Leia, Lando, Chewie, Artoo and 3Po inside just to troll Rey into sperging out seems right up Abrams alley.
Kill the past, even if it's detrimental to the growth of the future. Star Wars is pretty cutting edge now in that regard

• 1Like

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
If a movie's merits only exist within the realm of you not having seen or heard of the ending before then it's a dogshit movie. A good story is a good story regardless of whether or not you know how it all wraps up. A spoiler tag is only as useful as the level of story that you're watching. If the only thing that might keep you interested is the surprise of the ending then just wait a few minutes and take a shit, that will surprise you just as well

• 1Picard
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf