Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Nah, anyone paying for it doesn't want it to be bad. So it does make sense.

The people who TLJ genuinely pissed off aren't reviewing it.

It's like RLM basically has to review it at some point. I have the impression that Mike and Jay and Rich would rather not, but at this point it's mandatory. RLM started with Star Wars reviews. They can't skip the final one. And they'll try to find the things about it that aren't terrible.
there has to be several tiers to Star Wars fandom. uber fans who digest all things EU, the regular guys like me who grew up with the movies only and then the faggots in that teaser reaction video who cry if you step on their rose tico action figure.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
I feel like I have a million things to say about this film and it's seriously difficult because it's just such a disappointment on so many levels and you guys know me... I generally have no problems writing lengthy posts. I just don't know where to begin :/

I find it hard to believe anyone that goes to watch this objectively comes away disappointed AFTER having seen TLJ. TLJ made millions of people rage and swear off Star Wars, and at the very least reduced the expectations of even the hardcore fans to slightly below zero for this sequel. If there is disappointment to feel, it's about the trilogy as a whole being wasted potential because of the lack of planning, the Kennedy agenda and Rian's shenanigans, but honestly, finding things to hate in this particular movie that aren't caused directly or indirectly by TLJ is not that obvious. I have a bunch of nitpicks and flaws I can point out, but none of it made me RAGE like TLJ did several times. It's just not a movie that makes you angry like TLJ does. It's more like "Welp.. it's finished at last."

• 1Seriously?
  • 1Direct to DVD

Ladro

Anomaly
It was “okay”, which should say a lot. There were a couple of good vignettes and a couple great pulls on the heart strings but Vanessa's explanation is pretty spot on.

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
It was “okay”, which should say a lot. There were a couple of good vignettes and a couple great pulls on the heart strings but Vanessa's explanation is pretty spot on.

That's what I'm saying. After TLJ, an "okay" sequel isn't a disappointment. It's a step-up. What's disappointing is the trilogy as a whole.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

goishen

Macho Ma'am
I feel like I have a million things to say about this film and it's seriously difficult because it's just such a disappointment on so many levels and you guys know me... I generally have no problems writing lengthy posts. I just don't know where to begin :/

Look I cried 3 times during Endgame... I felt shit, loved the hell out of the film and it just sucked me in and made me crave more and more. I bring up Endgame because they're similar in these aspects:

Childhood loves - comics & star wars
Franchises
Lots of hype
Curtain closing type of film
Very visually dazzling
Disney owned

But I felt NOTHING for Star Wars... nothing. Only sadness for feeling nothing LoL.

Sounds like the term you're searching for is blase. After all I've heard about the movie, it sounds like even if Abrams did a 11/10 job, it still would'a been blase after TLJ. And Abrams did about 6/10 job. Which, after TLJ, just leaves you feeling anger or like you, just apathy.

EDIT : And that's not what I go to movies for, to feel apathy. I know that I will be feeling it, too. When I go to the movies, I want Luke blowing up the death star, Luke getting his hand chopped off and diving down a huge well. When I go to the movies, it's to feel something. This movie, ain't it.

• 2Like

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
It wasn't OK, it was bad, but it wasn't as bad as that last one.

• 1Like

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Scene after scene of total retardation. This is just too much to take, I can't believe people think this is ok.

Lightspeed skipping, ok, then why are the fucking fighters jumping with you? They know the fucking plan? Face-palming less than 10 minutes into the movie.

So lets see, they do a recreation of the "I find your lack of faith disturbing scene", but of course kick it up a JJ notch, into the retarded chase scene with the "they fly now" jokes then C3PO tells more dumb jokes "Great job sir, NOT great job sir!"

Then there is a scene where Mary Sue Retton jumps over emo Vaders ship, cuts it down, he of course walks out complete unscathed because JJ is a moron, and they fucking have a force fight over an escaping ship. That's right they're so powerful with the force they can fucking stop a flying escaping ship, fight over it, then destroy it with force lightning because Rey can do ANYTHING...

Why does Darth Emo stand there and let them take off though, he just proved he can fucking stop a flying ship with the force. I guess shit just happens when its convenient.

Fuck off, JJ is the worst fucking director alive.

TFA was trash, TLJ was an abomination, and this is worse.

Ok my ass.

• 7Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Mic Drop
Reactions: 8 users

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
George Lucas, for all the crap that he got for the prequels... the man was/is a creative genius and was the heart of Star Wars. He really is the hero we need when you look at the big picture of everything to do with this franchise.

...put it this way about this film:

I was finishing character's lines during key moments. A COUPLE OF TIMES, NOT JUST ONCE.

So yes, it's highly predictable too on top of being awful.

This is what happens when you take such an iconic fixture and put it in so many wrong hands.

One HUGE praise though: John Williams is still the man. His use of Wagnerian leitmotifs peppered throughout the film is spot on as usual.

• 1Like

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Is it just me, or is the ending literally a Harry Potter rip-off?

Also, it’s a decent cam copy for opening day. 😏

Fucker

Log Wizard
what the fuck happened to today's youth? i cant remember ever getting upset like that over something in adulthood. maybe when i was a little kid on christmas morning or something. but as an adult? man i think the closest i came to that was when i saw Vince Neil in concert and he started dropping all his old Motley Crue songs and drunk 20s me started pumpin my fist in the air and screaming YEAH!. i wasnt weeping like an old woman though. holy shit. we are doomed as a society.

These people aren't youths. They are adults. This is the time when fully grown males still play with Legos and action figures. Their reactions shouldn't surprise you at all.

• 1Like

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
what the fuck happened to today's youth? i cant remember ever getting upset like that over something in adulthood. maybe when i was a little kid on christmas morning or something. but as an adult? man i think the closest i came to that was when i saw Vince Neil in concert and he started dropping all his old Motley Crue songs and drunk 20s me started pumpin my fist in the air and screaming YEAH!. i wasnt weeping like an old woman though. holy shit. we are doomed as a society.

I got kinda like that during Neal Peart’s drum solo when I saw Rush on the R40 tour. Kinda...

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
there's just... just too many cuts. too many scene changes, too many fetch quests, too many expositions... there's just too much.

i didn't hate it though... the best way i can describe this is by using a real life example... sometimes i get kidney stones... they suck. causes all kinds of terrible pains and most of the time i need to go to the ER and then admitted for a few days where they dope me up with morphine...

that's what this movie is like... it's like being given a high dose of morphine after being in excruciating pain. on paper it sounds great. it sounds like it would be a Godsend, it sounds like it would be the best experience of your life. in reality you're exhausted because you realize you've been clenching every muscle in your body for who knows how long. everything's numb and the best you can do is smile a little before going catatonic.

it's not a BAD movie, especially when taken as part of a whole... it's very much the opposite of the last jedi, in that the last jedi isn't terrible if you completely disassociate it from everything else it's surrounded by. TROS is significantly better when considering everything it's surrounded by.

but at the end of the day there was only 2 moments that made me feel ANYTHING but apathy and they were both with chewie.
chewie actually breaking down when he finds out leia died... his only job is to roar incoherently throughout the movie and he's the only one that actually displayed real emotion... and then when he gets a medal at the end. broseph finally gets some recognition...

• 1Worf

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Seeing this in a few hours, so I will come back and tell tales. All I know is hate hate hated TLJ for what they did both to the characters and to the narrative overall for the franchise. I have never seen a movie that so actively hated its own fans and the overall franchise, like the British joke that Parliment is upset it can't dissolve the people and enstate a new one. I know what to expect to this, and while I welcome what J.J. is trying to do, it doesn't sound like it was done well enough for a single movie. We'll see. At least you know he likes the people for whom the movie is intended.

• 1Solidarity

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
These people aren't youths. They are adults. This is the time when fully grown males still play with Legos and action figures. Their reactions shouldn't surprise you at all.

Hey, you leave Legos out of this.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

velk

Trakanon Raider
It was fine... for a transformers movie.

Gorgeous set pieces, good action, mostly decent acting, terrible humor and the plot makes NO FUCKING SENSE.

"But whyyyyy ?!?" was my immediate reaction to most everything that happened.

Like - how did the evil plan with the dagger even work ?

"Sorry master, couldn't find the girl"

"That's ok my student, onto plan b. First you must go and hide your navigation beacon in the ruin of the death star"

"Ok..."

"Now carve 'I hid my navigation beacon in the ruin of the death star' into your dagger"

"... ok"

"But carve it in Sith ! So noone can read it"

"... uh"

"Now sink yourself into quicksand on a random planet and hope she stumbles across your lifeless corpse at some point in the future where she wants to come visit me. Make sure the dagger is very obvious so she doesn't miss it"

"... uh master, I have some reservations about this plan"

"Trust me, it'll work !"

Also, she shows up explicitly to kill him, all he needed to do for his evil plan to succeed is just keep his fucking mouth shut. I'm going to choose to believe that he didn't actually want her to kill him, and just said that because it was the one thing guaranteed to stop her from doing so. This also makes the bit where she goes ahead and kills him anyway not two fucking minutes later work better as well.

• 1Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Things I genuinely liked about the film:

The inclusion of all the different Jedi actors in the 1000-generations-are-in-you scene. Especially making sure that Ahsoka Tano and Kanan Jarus are loud and prominent thus cementing their role in things.

Having an actual adventure with the three leads together for the first time in the trilogy. There should have been a lot more of this as they do play off each other well. Their banter was well written and had a natural humor to it.

Chewie's anguish when hearing that Leia had died.

Wedge's cameo manning the Falcon's guns

Babu Frik, especially that he was just a puppet and not some CGI monstrosity

Things that annoyed me:
Light-Speed-Skipping as the equivalent of hammering the Hyperspace button in a game of Asteroids. I know it was added to help explain away the Holdo Maneuver as being not a viable battle strategy, but it fucks with every conceivable notion of hyperspace and travel times in the whole damn Star Wars universe.

The Final Order Fleet being trapped on Exoogol and dependent on a signal tower. It was a hamfisted explanation for the fleet not just immediately launching and blowing up the fucking galaxy and it made no goddamn sense.

The Emperor sending out a 'I'm gonna attack in X hours... please come at me bro' message while also having a super powerful fleet that was stuck in place.

No balance to the Force. The whole freaking thing, since day one, has been how being out-of-balance with the uptight Jedi led to all these problems AND that the original Jedi were quite-likely much better at using the Light and Dark sides not as good and evil but as a Yin Yang thing. So at the end all the Sith are gone and the Last Jedi Skywalker stares off into the sunset without any indication that the future will be different.

The Final Order has somehow been hiding out here for decades with no one noticing (where do they get their materials? Their funding? Who the fuck is feeding all these people? Is it the Imperial Remnant? Was 'Snoke' sending stuff their way all along and if so why does no one know about it? Goddamn it at least have Kaminoans doing their Clone thing alongside the Emperor and maybe some of the original bad-gang from the prequel trilogy (banking clan, maybe all the Geonosians that had been reportedly wiped out by the Empire, all those fuckers) be the supply chain that he has been squirreling away for decades.

The Sith Troopers being, somehow, even less effective than OT Stormtroopers. Other than looking snappy in Red (and as a design motif it really does work well with the admixture of red into First Order white and black even though red was the accent color of the last film...) they do absolutely nothing. Less than nothing really.

The Dagger 'showing the way' such that it only works if you were standing EXACTLY where Rey was standing. That's some precision foreseeing and then subsequent blacksmithing, and if you have foresight with THAT much clarity then how the fuck do you get stuck with your pants down at any time? This sort of archaeology puzzle works when dealing with stone temples and mountains and shit, not with miraculous remains of a crashed space station as seen from a quasi random point along the shore.

The crashed Death Star having not been scavenged to death and/or turned into a memorial along with a gift-shop in the throne room. I thought from the previews that maybe it got blown through hyperspace to some hidden location which would explain why it was newly discovered. Nope... its just another moon of Endor.

Knights of Ren that are basically just the biker gang that Ben Solo ran with during his rebellious youth. They even have a ship that's rolling coal to show just how badass they are.

Hux's continued descent into punk-ass-bitch. He was a strong and practical aspect of the Force Awakens with his father's whole 'stealing kids and brainwashing them into super soldiers' plan and then ever since then he's just been dumb comedy. There's no reason that Richard E. Grant's character couldnt have been Hux, could even have helped explain where the Final Order was getting its shit from if Hux had been working for Palpatine this whole time.

Not even a hint, despite the ending of Last Jedi, that there are other Force Users out there for Rey to train. I thought that is where she was going at the end, with wanting to set up a new Skywalker temple dedicated to balance on the site of Luke's childhood home...but nope.

No connection back to Naboo, or Coruscant, or anything prequel trilogy related. I guess Coruscant is just Detroit now? Everyone kinda forgets the planet that was the capitol of the galaxy for the past several thousand years? Why not have just blown it up in TFA? Or use it as the 'demostration planet' for the insanely powerful Star Destroyers? "Target a planet they care about...' like the one they didn't know existed until a couple hours ago?'

I still enjoyed the movie and it was a fun romp, but goddamn it the whole thing needed a script editor with balls.

• 2Cringe
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

amigo

Lord Nagafen Raider
Torrent is legit, just downloaded it and started watching.
~15min in and you can tell it's a JarJar movie: breaking the fundamentals, no substance, all spectacle. Trying to fix the unfixable. Maybe dial 1-800-docbrown and rent a DeLorean instead.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity