Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I was watching RLM and the way he took it was that Darth Sidious/Emperor Palpatine was a clone of the real Palpatine. So he didn’t survive, this is the actual Palpatine who is ancient by now which is why he looks so different.

I actually like that take a little bit more in that, no ridiculous surviving the Death Star explosionin ROTJ, and that while Sidious was a clone, he was still autonomous, just being controlled by his master the “real” Palpatine.

So Darth Vader’s master was the guy that died in ROTJ. That at least does not invalidate his redemption because he did actually kill his master.

Still garbage but not as hot garbage as Palpatine surviving ROTJ and building super fleet in 30 years.
no, Mike is wrong. if RotJ Palpy was a clone then actual Palpy wouldnt be injured and chilling out on the wreckage of the destroyed death star 2.0. thats actual Palpy in both movies, not only is that an impossibility, but so is the wreckage of DS 2.0. its a gigantic plot hole and a continuity black hole. the only way this works is if Palpy wasnt really there at all and this was an illusion generated by somebody else to fool these people into thinking Palpy was still alive. i cant believe they thought this was a good idea. it breaks all the movie canon and shits itself in the process. Palpy doesnt even make any fucking sense as the big bad, because even fucking Darth Emo doesnt know who he is. it should be a Vader illusion getting into his head. he worships his mask already. the voice and image of Vader should be the one conning him. its like that scene from Spaceballs where Dark Helmet tells Lone Star who he is.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

iannis

Musty Nester
It's the only stretch that avoids a direct contradiction.

There is a primal palpy, every palpy that we've ever seen is a clone of that primal palpy. That's the ONLY way that bringing him back can make ANY sense. And you can embellish it, palpy is not a person... he's the combined lich force of the Sith Planet.

Bascially palpy is the physical incarnation of evil. That's all. He's the devil incarnate and the devil has many forms.

That's all that mike is talking about.

It's dumb as shit but if you want to avoid direct contradictions something along those lines is about the only way to do it. The alternative isn't a plot hole, it's a straight retcon. That said all you have to do is look at the costuming of the emperor to prove Mike is writing some fanfic and JJ did indeed Retcon Return of the Jedi directly. But Mike was writing some off the cuff fanfic... that was the whole bit.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
We will probably find out once the novelization is released. They're already saying that "Lando's daughter" subplot is much further explored in the novelization, revealing that Lando Calrissian had a daughter after ROTJ and she was abducted by the First Order that specifically targeted the children of known Rebellion figures.

RLM Mike's theory on Palpatine is valid, but I cannot say the movie itself went one way or another to confirm it.

The novelization also mentions the "Sith Eternal" cult of worshippers, so the cowled figures in the coliseum where Palpatine fights Rey and Kylo weren't just ghosts, they were Sith adepts that helped build the Final Order fleet over several decades.

Usually novelizations are better than the movie because they have more time to develop stuff (though I didn't read TLJ's novelization so I have no idea on that one, but TFA's was pretty cool, and the best novelization by far is ROTS which is really solid).

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
mUYSbgm.jpg

• 5Cringe
  • 5Picard
  • 4Worf
Reactions: 20 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The first Death Star took 30 years to build then they started pinching them out like they were Fords. And then they built an UBER GIANT ONE and a massive fleet in secret.
After they built the first one they farmed the rest out to China.

• 2Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 3 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
These shouldn't be taken any more seriously than Bay's Transformers movies. Don't let fandom for a desiccated horse of an IP blind you.

• 2Great Review
  • 1Cringe
Reactions: 2 users

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
The Final Order fleet will just get justified down the road as having been the product of some heretofore unknown cache of Rakata lore that led to the rebuilding / repairing of the Star Forge.

• 1Blown

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
It's the only stretch that avoids a direct contradiction.

There is a primal palpy, every palpy that we've ever seen is a clone of that primal palpy. That's the ONLY way that bringing him back can make ANY sense. And you can embellish it, palpy is not a person... he's the combined lich force of the Sith Planet.

Bascially palpy is the physical incarnation of evil. That's all. He's the devil incarnate and the devil has many forms.

That's all that mike is talking about.

It's dumb as shit but if you want to avoid direct contradictions something along those lines is about the only way to do it. The alternative isn't a plot hole, it's a straight retcon. That said all you have to do is look at the costuming of the emperor to prove Mike is writing some fanfic and JJ did indeed Retcon Return of the Jedi directly. But Mike was writing some off the cuff fanfic... that was the whole bit.
The death star 2.0 wreckage confirms there never was a clone. We could have a good back n forth on what kind of clone he might be, but the physical wreckage with intact throne room was where they got greedy and went too far.

• 1Like

Nester

Vyemm Raider
I thinks it’s more plausible that the emperor simply survives the fall. Really he had no other injuries and Jedi can do amazing physical things. Perhaps he was very hurt and had to give himself the “Vader treatment” and get hooked up to that big machine.

You never actually saw his death, just his fall. If Luke had time to get off the DS so could the emperor.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I thinks it’s more plausible that the emperor simply survives the fall. Really he had no other injuries and Jedi can do amazing physical things. Perhaps he was very hurt and had to give himself the “Vader treatment” and get hooked up to that big machine.

You never actually saw his death, just his fall. If Luke had time to get off the DS so could the emperor.
How many times do i need to link the gif of his death to show where he gets vaporized? The death star was completely destroyed. Turned into atoms, yet here he and half the death star 2.0 are intact. You can try and explain away palpy's death, but you cant blow off why the death star survived with him.

• 1Like

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Disagree the death star was “turned to atoms” That’s not how explosives work.

you also can’t tell the difference between vaporized and “force teleported” (which I might have made up right now)

It’s space magic bro!

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
It's better if the Death Star II wasn't vaporized or turned into atoms, otherwise it removes one of the best parts of the Expanded Universe.

endorholocaust.jpg

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users