Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
All the characters were shallow bordering on tropes. There was way too much fan service. The narrative expanded very little, especially when you realize that a lot of this was based on a few throwaway lines from the original movies.

Much like the Mandalorian, it's a passable heist movie getting a bump for not being as shitty as the rest. It's not as bad as TLJ, who's saying that?
Plenty of people in their rankings here and on twitter keep ranking it way down at the bottom, which I don't understand. IBut I've never seen anyone expand on why they think it's one of the worst SW movies ever made.

idk, I can't say I agree with your criticisms, except that yeah it didn't do much to expand the narrative. When Disney took over the franchise, it wasn't a story I was like "ooh i hope they make a movie of that" but it worked out for me, I liked the idea that they took those few lines and ran with them. But I've also kind of checked out of SW after TLJ, haven't watched The Mandalorian despite having Disney+, haven't seen this new one, not really feeling it.

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
yeah, no the prequels were still far better and more in line with the star wars universe than these post-2010 movies.

• 1Popcorn
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
All the characters were shallow bordering on tropes. There was way too much fan service. The narrative expanded very little, especially when you realize that a lot of this was based on a few throwaway lines from the original movies.

Much like the Mandalorian, it's a passable heist movie getting a bump for not being as shitty as the rest. It's not as bad as TLJ, who's saying that?

I agree with Deathwing here.

The movie wasn't terrible, it was meh, but it gets caught up in the gyre that is the disappointment in all things Star Wars.

I think the Whitaker character's decision to "just stay here" was symptomatic of the whole movie - mediocre writing, paper-thin character motivations and overall development.

But it was at least mildly entertaining. I thought Solo was meh as well, but I watched it all the way through and don't regret the minutes doing so in either case.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Two reasons for me.

First, there was real loss and sacrifice with the protagonists, which is something Disney movies in particular usually like to avoid. I liked that there was tension knowing shit would probably end badly.

Second, it contained the single purest Star Wars sequence since the OT:

I thought that scene was gratitous and sums up why the current movies suck.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
It was a little, but on the flip side why even make movies with these characters if not to provide that kind of thing? Prior to that scene, we'd never actually seen the Vader that is hinted at in the movies. So if you're going to have Vader in the movie I'd rather have him do that than lead a trade delegation or some shit. Similarly everyone is like "oh snap we will see Luke training new jedi and passing down the lessons he learned", no one wanted weird blue titty milk and mugging for the camera. Fan service can be a good thing.

• 7Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 8 users

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
It was a little, but on the flip side why even make movies with these characters if not to provide that kind of thing? Prior to that scene, we'd never actually seen the Vader that is hinted at in the movies. So if you're going to have Vader in the movie I'd rather have him do that than lead a trade delegation or some shit. Similarly everyone is like "oh snap we will see Luke training new jedi and passing down the lessons he learned", no one wanted weird blue titty milk and mugging for the camera. Fan service can be a good thing.
The Vader scene is one of the truest Star Wars things on film. Rogue One is well crafted but relies purely on being a modern reset/arguably unnecessary prequel to 1977's Star Wars.

The new trilogy should have dealt with three things.

1. The conclusion of the character-driven Skywalker tale
2. The lore of the Force
3. Subtle awesome shit (not fake awesome shit)

VII-IX​

Several years of fighting followed the Battle of Endor until the New Republic routed every last Imperial faction throughout the galaxy. It is thirty years after the fall of the Empire. It is a peaceful time. Luke Skywalker has restored the Jedi Order.

Younger new characters are naturally present, two of them are Kylo and Rey. Han, Luke and Leia are not supporting characters but the main ones.

A new threat unrelated to the Empire presents itself as the first movie unfolds. It is a small group, nothing like the First Order, led by someone unlike the Sith, Palpatine or Snoke. No poetry, no retreading, no generic ideas, the story is faithful to its universe while being tonally consistent with the previous films.

Episode VII begins with Han, Luke, Leia and the New Republic. Lando is part of the New Republic, likely military. Leia is not anymore. Instead she is in charge of the Jedi and their students. Han left his wife for the Falcon with the wookie. Luke is the protagonist of these films. Luke has been missing for years. Leia was with him when they restored the Jedi. She is now in charge.

Ben is not Kylo Ren yet but he's already getting there before the first movie begins. He has nothing to do with the new bad guys. Luke never tried to kill him, his parents also have nothing to do with his behavior. He is a petulant, weak, unstable kid obsessed with his grandfather. As the first movie unfolds he drops out, fashions for himself his suit and saber, which is jagged, imperfectly made and seems almost ready to explode at any minute. A dangerous weapon. He ends up killing his father but not during the first film.

Rey is a character on the other side of the galaxy. She's not an orphan, her parentage doesn't matter, but as she is weaved into the larger story she will have a very important role to play.

The first film is about the New Republic, the small new bad guys starting, Rey meeting the main cast of characters, leaving to find Luke, Han coming home and Ben becoming Kylo Ren.

During the second film the threat grows as Rey finds Luke. Years ago he discovered something and went to the remote world of the first Jedi to learn more about the prophecy of the chosen one, his father, about the ones who climbed the sky and the beginning and the end of the Force. Luke left to save the galaxy. He is stronger and wiser. He teaches Rey and the history of the Force is delved into for the first time in the series. The Force becomes the main focus of the entire trilogy. There is a secret between the history of the Sith and the Jedi.

The rest involves the good guys dealing with the bad guys until Kylo appears fully fledged, pretending to be a Knight of Ren and kills his father.

During the third film Kylo Ren is completely insane, like a petulant child if allowed to wield power. He kills the bad guys early and takes over. The rest of the movie is about him. Luke returns with Rey. Several Jedi die. Leia teaches Rey. Luke speaks to his predecessors. We learn more about the Force and Rey's connection. Luke fails and Rey kills Kylo on the ocean moon of Endor. Rey turns to the dark side, bringing with her the real return of the Sith.

The nonology's conclusion is concerned with the Skywalker family and the personal stories of the characters above all; the broader struggles between good and evil are peripheral. The story’s central ideas and conflicts are resolved as new ones emerge. The conclusion is full of brightness in the face of looming darkness. The series ends in rapture and tragedy, Luke dies fighting Darth Rey, the final action sequence on Korriban. His death is not in vain, his will and knowledge from Ahch-To and Tython change the future. The New Republic is in peril as the last Skywalker teaches new Jedi knights about the balance of the Force as a new war begins.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Yeah, the prequels were for sure not good, as has been stated at length. Another thing that kind of confuses me, a bunch of people seem to have given the prequels and Lucas in turn absolution for those movies. They were terrible movies. He made a ton of terrible decisions, wrote a terrible story and terrible dialogue.
yeah, ive seen a lot of people who were youngsters when the prequels were released say they love them now. even some old fucks our age who say the same. it might just be people trying to be edgy and ironic on purpose or they really loved them all along and now they can point to a clearly worse set of SW films as some kind of proof that the prequels werent "that bad". the prequels are still bad, very bad, so bad that people made movies about how much everyone hated the prequels and george lucas. all those points still stand today. if Disney had treated this property with the respect it deserved we wouldnt even be talking about the prequels anymore, we would be discussing what's coming up for phase 2 of the SWEU.

this whole thing is basically Littlefinger marrying Sansa off to Ramsey Bolton. what could go wrong??

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
The difference for me between the prequels and the sequels is this:

The prequels I think had a solid story to tell, I like the idea of this powerful sith lord hiding in plain view and manipulating events behind to scene to gain power and influence. I like the idea of corrupting a young Jedi because of his love for his mother and wife. I liked the characters, Qui Gon Jin, Obi-wan, Darth Maul, Palpatine, Dooku, not so much Padme and Jar Jar. The problem with them was that the movies were horribly directed, badly acted and had some of the worse dialog ever. The same basic story and characters under a different director and actor could have been a great series. I mean Clone Wars shows that the core story setup and characters had potential.

The sequels are essentially the opposite, they had a weak story and characters that were not that interesting. On the other they were well directed, and well acted and had decent dialog.

At the end of the day I think a bad story and uninteresting characters that is well directed and acted is more offending than a good story and interesting characters that is badly directed and acted.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Yeah yeah. I know it's been a minute ... or twelve. But this is just a complete, self-contained drive-by. I watched this and immediately thought to myself "those assholes over at FOH would probably love this". And then thought what the fuck, just share it.

I'm not gonna wade through all the shitposting and just assume that at least some of you are aware of the George Lucas deepfakes from a couple of months ago. Well this is the same guy doing the impersonation of George they apply the deepfake over. Enjoy.

Last edited:
  • 3Worf
  • 3Like
  • 1Blown
Reactions: 6 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
The difference for me between the prequels and the sequels is this:

The prequels I think had a solid story to tell, I like the idea of this powerful sith lord hiding in plain view and manipulating events behind to scene to gain power and influence. I like the idea of corrupting a young Jedi because of his love for his mother and wife. I liked the characters, Qui Gon Jin, Obi-wan, Darth Maul, Palpatine, Dooku, not so much Padme and Jar Jar. The problem with them was that the movies were horribly directed, badly acted and had some of the worse dialog ever. The same basic story and characters under a different director and actor could have been a great series. I mean Clone Wars shows that the core story setup and characters had potential.

The sequels are essentially the opposite, they had a weak story and characters that were not that interesting. On the other they were well directed, and well acted and had decent dialog.

At the end of the day I think a bad story and uninteresting characters that is well directed and acted is more offending than a good story and interesting characters that is badly directed and acted.
I think that when you strip away everything about the prequels there are some good themes present like you mentioned with the sith hiding in plain sight, and the jedi council's attempt to control backfiring on them. But it was just executed so horrendously badly, and all the actual supporting storylines and plot are garbage. The new movies, I started to go through and pick out themes that I think worked well and could have been expanded on with a quality storyline, but who cares, shit is fucked. The difference, like you pointed out, is that they are executed so well, but the plot is such garbage, and even the themes are garbage. Such frustration.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Lots of people seem to hate Rogue One on almost TLJ levels, I don't really get that. Yeah it doesn't really move the main storyline forward, but it did expand the universe out a bit and was a great movie, great actors, shot well, and didn't compromise on that ending.
it's the only fucking movie that gave you an answer that you actually wanted.

1. midichlorians??? what fuck no
2. anakin is a jesus birth? what fuck no
3. obi wan has the high ground? what fuck no.

rogue one:
the architect purposely created a backdoor to blow up the deathstar - ok sure, fan theories for 40 years was just imperial incompetence but i'll accept that too.

Jive Turkey

Karen
Yeah, the prequels were for sure not good, as has been stated at length. Another thing that kind of confuses me, a bunch of people seem to have given the prequels and Lucas in turn absolution for those movies. They were terrible movies. He made a ton of terrible decisions, wrote a terrible story and terrible dialogue.

'from my point of view, the Jedi are evil'

That's probably the single best example of how shallow and ham fisted George's dialog writing is. Want to convey to the audience that from Anakin's point of view, the jedi are evil? Should we have well crafted scenes over the course of the movie to get that idea across? Nah, let's just have him blurt it out in one line and be done with it

Caliane

I thought that scene was gratitous and sums up why the current movies suck.
yeah. its weird. like, that scene is the epitome of what RLM think of Rogue One, and "fanservice and AT-ST!", while they bitch about other starwars movies rehashing Tatooine over and over. Every other part of that move was the exact opposite. New characters, new planets, shady murdering Rebel pilots, intrigue, monks, mysticism. RLM is so full on shit on that one. But, then you got Vulg. "I liked it when Vader smashed things."

Fucker

Log Wizard
Yeah because ya mamma sucked a dick joke was such a hit in TLJ.

Such writing.

If you want to experience nonstop cringe, watch Red Tails. He's probably still salty that people thought it was a giant joke of a movie.

$952,110,690 so far. I wonder what the profit point # is.

• 1Worf

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
1578715147316.png

• 1Worf

Goatface

back down to 53% and tied with Phantom Menace
1578776265012.png

and amazing audience is still the same after 30k+ more votes lol

• 3Worf