StarCraft 2

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
Scarlett the Patch zerg extraordinaire showing why he's a patch zerg here in the Iron Squid hots tourney.

HOTS TOURNEY? BETTER MASS INFESTORS!

Fungal fungal fungal fungal gg no skill.

Game 2, fungal fungal fungal fungal, owns mech, owns bio, owns everything in the game. This game sucks, probably the last match I'll watch until infestors are removed.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Alright I've had a bit more time to play with HotS and get some strategies and builds down. This will all be from a Terran pov.

TvT right now is a mess. Reapers are making it impossible to do anything really. It is either open reapers or blindly counter reapers. So far the only real option I've seen is to open with Marauder + Conc to scare away the Reapers. However many times it turns into Reaper vs Reaper battles.

TvP is much the same. Early game is extremely Toss favored since there is literally zero things you can do against them. The MS Core can basically turn a nexus into a PF for 60 seconds. You think FF delaying your push is frustrating? Try having a Nexus kill your push. Did I mention the fucking spell lasts 60 god damn seconds? Basically enough to warp in two cycles of units? It is a joke, really. They'll have to do something.

With that said the early game and mid game is a bit different on the Terran side. You can proxy your Lab Rax and pump out reapers and do some pretty decent eco damage until Stalker/MS Core comes out. With the healing effects of the Reaper just constantly poke in and kill a few probes and leave. I think this is really only viable at the moment because Toss aren't used to dealing with this so they always fuck it up. Once game last night I had like 18 probe kills on one Reaper.

The medivac speed boost makes dropping much more dynamic and fun in TvP. A single cannon and HT no longer deters pretty much all drop play. You can drop, do some damage, get out w/ boost.

TvZ is the most varied, changed and fun. Medivac upgrades make drop play extremely alluring. I feel going pure bio is now an option. I feel like going pure mech is an option. I feel like biomech is an option. The entire tech tree is available in this matchup and it is extremely fun to play.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
They have to push this back.

Also, capital ships like Battlecruiser and Carrier need some love.

Heard they are pulling the Carrier? I mean you can take the Dark Archon out... but... fucking come on. Give up > do something cool?

Tenks

That comment seems odd to me. Carriers are the most viable right now than they've ever been. They're still worthless TvP if the Terran goes Bio but they still counter TvP mech quite nicely and skytoss is extraordinarily viable PvZ.

BC still fills the role it filled in BW. I'd argue you see BC more in WoL/HOTS than you did in BW.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Carriers should slaughter marines and get very hard countered by vikings (they do).

You do realize they posted they were just about the pull the carrier? Needs another upgrade like a little more uber +armor.

Oh yeah, bring back Scourge for zerg and hydras get stomped out by carrier/BC pls.

Tenks

I haven't seen anything recently saying they were going to pull the carrier. The main issue with the carrier vs marines is a) interceptors don't heal when returned and b) marine dps is high enough to just kill all the interceptors. I don't understand everyone's obsession with making the carrier viable against everything. The reason BW/SC2 are so fun is because Tier3 doesn't trivialize Tier1. This isn't C&C or some of the other less-good RTS where once Tier3 comes out there is no purpose to Tier1. Carriers still counter Terran mech. They countered it in BW as well. The only issue is no one went bio in BW and no one goes mech in SC2. So it doesn't get a ton of play compared to BW.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I'm pretty sure I read they added carrier micro in a recent HotS patch, ala BW, which is really everything the unit needs. Right now with a few oracles and Tempests to make the enemy come to you, you have very good sky toss army.

The thing with all the capital ships is that they are really boring once they are buffed to the point where they become the most cost effective force in the game, so high supply costs and obvious weaknesses are necessary. TvZ where the zerg goes "surprise, I got broods 1 minute earlier" makes me cry and I don't want to see any other race even attempt it in a serious game.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Anyone caught today's proleague ? EG-TL vs CJ was actually pretty good, shame they couldn't close it in the ace, but when that shit is played on Ohana you really can't send out a zerg. Both Thorzain and Huk failed rather horribly though, seems like Arcanoid will be the zerg map and Huk once again playing like a retard. He went blink vs robo and then blinked into 2 immortals up the ramp. If he just sat down there and gotten robo/expanded, he would be in a fine position, but instead he rushed in like an idiot. Game was sort of over after that.

Flank_sl

shitlord
I like that Kespa have added new maps, and I dont expect all maps to be equal, but Arcanoid is terrible. Regarding the ganes:

Jaedong looked his usual self. For a few minutes he looks great and then he makes stupid mistakes.

Taeja had it easy. I cannot remember his opponents name, but that protoss needs to realise that massing stalkers is not such a great idea vs terran.

I saw in a recent interview that Huk says he does not practice as much anymore, but that the practice he does do is more efficient. it seems that he is better with lots of inefficient practice.

Thorzain was half way through his big push when he had to go AFK.

Hero has a hole in his opening. Pretty standard for him.

When did JYP get good? He shows some excellent judgement when defending that hydra push. The commentators were making it sound like it would be easy, but JYP was stalker heach and his colossus were minutes way. He took a nice position and traded well.

I think Taeja was a bit unlucky in the ace match. I did not like the timing of his drops, but apart from that he looked good. I am not really sure why he lost so badly

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
The Hero game, well, basically any toss opening has a hole the zerg can exploit to get rather far ahead, especially if you want to do a timing every probe not mining means your push is delayed by a few seconds and it adds up. This is the second time I have seen this slow ling cheese in a progame, it's crazy gamble because you need the toss to not wall, to go harass with his first few units and to not see any additional lings anywhere on the map, which is coincidentally what a many tosses have been doing recently. If he caught wind of this, he plugs the wall and stays at home with his units, maybe even gets a second cannon and the zerg looks like an idiot.

Tenks

So I think I'm starting to "get" using widow mines. I needed to get rid of my old Terran idea of "I'm going bio why make shit from the fact?" since mines don't benefit from either factory or ebay upgrades. So they are equally effective regardless of your upgrade path.

In TvP you are pretty much always going to be retreating from a Protoss army. You engage, split to concave and keep retreating those units. So just lay down some widow mines to try and thin the Zealot herd. The only downside is Mines do friendly as well. So you basically need to do a full stim retreat on that side of the concave so the mines don't blast you as well.

In TvZ you can really punish Zergs who get out of position. Since the maps are so choke oriented if you drop a Zerg base and he doesn't already have his units there you can re position your mines in the choke point. When his lings come flying over, boom, half of them die to mines. I'm finding the best TvZ composition right now to be MMM (upgraded vacs) + Mines. Because of infinite selection in SC2 I always felt tanks were never, and will never, be what they were in BW. So the mines basically fulfill the same role but are more mobile, shoot air and do more damage.

Flank_sl

shitlord
I think the zealot is key. if you make a zealot while your core is building, you can use it to plug the hole and still use your first 2 stalkers on the map. That's fine for me, as my 2 base timings are not at all crisp. For a pro player that zealot is going to slow down your push, but I would at least make it if you are going for a 3rd base.

I have seen these slow ling attacks kill Hero before when he makes a zealot but then sends it out on the map. It just seems pointless to me. It is not worth the risk for a few ling kills.

Sidian

Lord Nagafen Raider
I've been watching some of the Blizzard Cup, at least some of the earlier games anyway (They actually started at 11pm EST my time, so I'd always stay up for an hour or two and watch the first couple series). But unfortunately now we're just stuck with 5 zergs and 1 protoss in the top 6. siiiiiiiiiiighhhh, can parting all-in his way to the championship or are we going to be stuck with a top 4 Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Maps really are a problem though, everything is just way too easy for zerg, maybe sc2 should be like BW and start making maps that are shitty for zerg just so other races have a chance.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
Or just make fucking BETTER maps. These massively large maps are causing the downfall of the game honestly. I should make a couple small/med maps and see how they go.