Starfield - Fallout fallout that isn't ES6

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Bro, its the year 2310 - aint no space ship worried about trivial things like resistance and gravity! /s

In a way, I agree that its just something trivial. I would much rather have phenomenal gameplay in separate areas and sacrifice the feature. But I "want" to be able to do it, at the speed Homelander gets into space for example and then set warp and be at a space station in mere seconds. No one wants the realism of the 21st century being used as a scape goat for a seamless loading screen.

Caliane

Skyrim came out in 2011 and is one of the highest selling games of all times.

Don't understand a company leaving so much money on the table and not releasing a sequel for 15+ years
As much as we shit on them, these games are much more involved then we give credit for I think. And they do try to make each one, bigger and better. they don't just pump them out battlefield, etc style.
fO4's settlement system is a good example. its more robust then most games actually built to be survival settlement sims.

The logical thing to do, is what they've, and other studios have done in the past.
make TES 5: skyrim. Then shop out a sequel to a second studio. let them use the engine, etc to make a sequel. aka, new vegas, kotor2, etc.. while the core studio makes FO4, then Tes 6, etc.
Were they salty new vegas gets so much more love? is Todd that much of a control freak, he won't let anyone else touch his worlds?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
As much as we shit on them, these games are much more involved then we give credit for I think. And they do try to make each one, bigger and better. they don't just pump them out battlefield, etc style.
fO4's settlement system is a good example. its more robust then most games actually built to be survival settlement sims.

The logical thing to do, is what they've, and other studios have done in the past.
make TES 5: skyrim. Then shop out a sequel to a second studio. let them use the engine, etc to make a sequel. aka, new vegas, kotor2, etc.. while the core studio makes FO4, then Tes 6, etc.
Were they salty new vegas gets so much more love? is Todd that much of a control freak, he won't let anyone else touch his worlds?
To take it a step further, I wish they'd embrace Creation Club even harder and help promote devs going from getting a few bucks for some custom horse armor into getting $$$ for full conversions. Stuff like promoting , bringing content mods into the "vanilla" game etc could be bigger than it is and very lucrative.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
oudyxu7ets591.jpg

• 3Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Caliane

To take it a step further, I wish they'd embrace Creation Club even harder and help promote devs going from getting a few bucks for some custom horse armor into getting $$$ for full conversions. Stuff like promoting , bringing content mods into the "vanilla" game etc could be bigger than it is and very lucrative.
whats interesting here, is others have tried and failed to make their RPGS platforms. Larian, tried real hard to make their tools public, so people could make their own custom campaigns for Original sin, 1 and 2. yet, no one really does anything with em. solasta, etc.

Mountain Biker

Trakanon Raider
I don't get all the hate on this already. As some others have mentioned this game will be a huge undertaking to make. The only problem with making massive games is they take forever to make. Same thing has happened with "TV" series as well, where the bar is so high now that it just takes forever to make them or they aren't worth making. It's all just a side effect of having high quality entertainment these days.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't get all the hate on this already. As some others have mentioned this game will be a huge undertaking to make. The only problem with making massive games is they take forever to make. Same thing has happened with "TV" series as well, where the bar is so high now that it just takes forever to make them or they aren't worth making. It's all just a side effect of having high quality entertainment these days.
Don't think they are hating on the game so much. Seems to be more about taking Todd Howard down a peg for recent dumbshit decisions and using Starfield as the proxy.

Saw a video that claims Starfield looks like No Man's Sky. But they are both space games with your toon in a space suit flying from planets to space stations with stars in the background. They're going to look somewhat similar, even with No Man's Sky colorful graphics. So it's a bit of a reach.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

There's plenty of room between releasing a new Madden every year and taking 15 years between games.

Morrowind > Oblivion 4 years
Oblivion > Skyrim 5 years
Skyrim > ES6 13-15+ years

It's not just them taking their time to do it right, it's supposedly not even past pre-production phase.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
There's plenty of room between releasing a new Madden every year and taking 15 years between games.

Morrowind > Oblivion 4 years
Oblivion > Skyrim 5 years
Skyrim > ES6 13-15+ years

It's not just them taking their time to do it right, it's supposedly not even past pre-production phase.

Yeah even to add to this:

Oblivion 2006
Fallout 3 2008
Skyrim 2011
Fallout 4 2015
Fallout 76 (lol) 2018

Between the two IP's we have seen fairly regular release cadence before Skyrim was milked to death and Todd Howard said this to fans: "That's why we keep releasing it. If you want us to stop releasing it, stop buying it." (Man what a dick head) But he has a point - as a company if I am making money hands over fists re-releasing a product with minimal work why would I go to the next stage of developing a new game - so he basically said what everyone thinks but never acts on - Quit buying it and speak with the wallet.

Doesn't have anything to do with the complexity of design as one can surely see here; it surely didn't hamper release schedules of four mainline releases of ES and FO in 9 years including all their expansions. But here we are - will be well over 15 years before a new ES Game. Not counting FO76, about 13-15 years for a new mainline FO game. There are reasons to explain it. Starfield isn't it because Starfield only went into mainline production 2 and a half years ago. So what we need to do is stop buying re-releases. Doesn't help we have entitled brat baby's in the workforce either, and a dramatic shift in work ethic with that same generation.

Last edited:

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I wish these games weren't so buggy so I could enjoy them on day one. I end up really enjoying these games but usually takes a number of patches, bug fixes, and mod support to stabilize before it gets to that point.

• 2Like

Fadaar

That guy
first half? interesting considering, as far as i'm aware, we've seen absolutely zero in game stuff

edit: oh guess i'm wrong, found some stuff from 6 months ago. guess from when E3 would have happened?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

The E3 demo seemed to be fairly complete looking beyond having shitty optimization, so 2023 launch is believable.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Demo is demo. a full complete game with all the content they are promising is another. Not only that, many youtube video deep dives of this demo revealed some fucked up shit. Like heads being backwards on NPC and other dumb shit. My bet is this game gets pushed back another year or at least to the end of this, now new year.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah even to add to this:

Oblivion 2006
Fallout 3 2008
Skyrim 2011
Fallout 4 2015
Fallout 76 (lol) 2018

Between the two IP's we have seen fairly regular release cadence before Skyrim was milked to death and Todd Howard said this to fans: "That's why we keep releasing it. If you want us to stop releasing it, stop buying it." (Man what a dick head) But he has a point - as a company if I am making money hands over fists re-releasing a product with minimal work why would I go to the next stage of developing a new game - so he basically said what everyone thinks but never acts on - Quit buying it and speak with the wallet.

Doesn't have anything to do with the complexity of design as one can surely see here; it surely didn't hamper release schedules of four mainline releases of ES and FO in 9 years including all their expansions. But here we are - will be well over 15 years before a new ES Game. Not counting FO76, about 13-15 years for a new mainline FO game. There are reasons to explain it. Starfield isn't it because Starfield only went into mainline production 2 and a half years ago. So what we need to do is stop buying re-releases. Doesn't help we have entitled brat baby's in the workforce either, and a dramatic shift in work ethic with that same generation.
So why are yo not counting FO76? Was this not a Bethesda game? Im not sure if they had some outside help on this but surely youre not discounting FO76 as a full game. I mean I had like 150 hours or so into this before "completing" at least the story and quest content. So it had plenty of content, quest, event and other stuff to consume. It also took FO4 building stuff and amped it up to 100, so you could do some cool building shit if this was what you were into. It even had a BG kind of PvP mode for a while, I mean as a mmo it kinda fell flat on its face, really no "end" game to speak of. . But just to discount this game fully is kinda being disingenuous.

It might of been shit at release but it became every bit of a FO game in the end. And best of all is you could play with other people which was missing in like every FO and TES game up till that point and was basically BEGGED to be added by fans and even many mods have been attempted to be added with multiplayer capabilities over the years to these games and I dont think even one accomplished a true multiplayer experience.

• 1Picard
  • 1Like

Cybsled

The “cool thing was to shit on FO76 and never play it. Is it a perfect game? No. Did it have lots of issues at launch? Yes. Have they really fleshed the game out and been adding lots of content these past number of years? Yes

At this point, like you pointed out, it is essentially a normal fallout game that you can play with other people. Or solo if you want - outside the boss fights or public events or joining groups, you can go it alone if you want pretty easily

I do miss their Battle Royale mode, though. It has a small but great community. I made more online friends there than I did in the regular game mode

• 2Picard
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Mountain Biker

Trakanon Raider
Yeah that's crazy if it's true. I know the game is gonna sell like crazy but still, that's a lot of money.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Didnt Bungie do something like this with Destiny on a superbowl? I remember Led Zeppelin Immigrant Song playing.