Starfield - Fallout fallout that isn't ES6

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I nolifed skyrim (and Oblivion. And FO3, FO4...) on release and there were bugs but it wasn't a total disaster. FO:NV (by Obsidian...) was much buggier with a pretty long list of broken quests. Also FONV was my favorite Fallout even before I played through a few years after release. I expect Starfield to be about the same, but we'll see. I didn't even bother playing FO76 but it sounds like it's in a decent state now.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cabales

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, that's pretty much my experience as well. Assuming they did eventually "fix" FO76, it raises another point, Bethesda doesn't usually abandon their games, even if they had a rough launch. ESO was a frigging mess, but it is one of the better current MMOs out now. I don't like the horizontal progression approach they've adopted, but it's still a pretty high quality game at this point.

Molten Core Raider
IGN had an interview with Todd and posted it up - Starfield: Everything New We Learned in IGN's Todd Howard Interview - IGN

Main takeaways:
- More handcrafted content than any other Bethesda game, along with procedurally generated galaxy of 1,000+ planets (which can be entirely skipped in favor of the handcrafted stuff)
- Main quest is 30-40 hours long (says it's 20% longer than other Bethesda games)
- 4 Main cities, one is the biggest ever made for a Bethesda game
- No seamless travel from space to planet

That interview seems to rein in the expectations a bit which feels like a good thing. It feels like a more achievable game rather than one of the things Todd describes in his presentations.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I wonder if they will attempt some sort of walled garden approach with mods. Haven't they danced around that a bit in the past?

I also worry it might be exclusive to the microsoft store. I hate that thing. I've never used it but for awhile I had to have their universal app bullshit installed for visual studio and it was a waste of 9 gigs of storage.

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider

Optimistically, Starfield in 2023, ESVI in 2028, Fallout 5 in 2032. Starting the hype train extra early. Great: I'm already wondering what city they'll pick.

• 1Worf
  • 1Double Worf

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Skyrim came out in 2011 and is one of the highest selling games of all times.

Don't understand a company leaving so much money on the table and not releasing a sequel for 15+ years

• 2Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Skyrim came out in 2011 and is one of the highest selling games of all times.

Don't understand a company leaving so much money on the table and not releasing a sequel for 15+ years
They juast kept on re-releasing Skyrim for yerars. The GOTY edition, the super deluxe edition, the gold unabridged edition...etc...Im betting the sales are like close to 50 million by now. Shit I bought 2 of them myself, lol.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
My likely too-damn-optimistic hope is that a large part of the gap between FO4 and Starfield was fucking about with the engine to get something on the scale of Starfield to work, and now that that's out of the way, TES6 will come along faster.

I look forward to being disappointed in that hope.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
These games are jsut too large to make in a couple of years. This is not some shooter where they make a few maps and call it good. Its huge worlds with toms of quests and hand tailored content.

Cybsled

I wonder if they will attempt some sort of walled garden approach with mods. Haven't they danced around that a bit in the past?

I also worry it might be exclusive to the microsoft store. I hate that thing. I've never used it but for awhile I had to have their universal app bullshit installed for visual studio and it was a waste of 9 gigs of storage.

They've had the Creation Club stuff for some time now. However, I can't recall them limiting stuff like NexisMods in any of their single player titles for PC. They probably make more money of CC for consoles than PC, for obvious reasons.

These games are jsut too large to make in a couple of years. This is not some shooter where they make a few maps and call it good. Its huge worlds with toms of quests and hand tailored content.

Exactly. When Fallout76 was announced, I remember people being all "WHY NO FALLOUT 5?". Because their single player titles have huge gaps between them. FO3 and FO4 had like a 7 year gap between them, for instance. FO76 was easier for them to push out because they could reuse a lot of FO4 assets and I believe it was born out of an abandoned project to add multiplayer elements to FO4. Plus at launch it didn't have a traditional main story quest in the same vein as normal FO titles.

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Yea. Takes a long time to write 300 tranny stories and quests into a fantasy epic, but at least you can save money on voiceovers by having the same dude do all of them.

• 1Worf
  • 1Double Worf

Chapell

Trakanon Raider
- No seamless travel from space to planet

keanu reeves GIF by Coolidge Corner Theatre

• 1Worf

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

Optimistically, Starfield in 2023, ESVI in 2028, Fallout 5 in 2032. Starting the hype train extra early. Great: I'm already wondering what city they'll pick.
We'll all be dead by then who fucking cares.

• 1Double Worf
  • 1Worf

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>

I have a feeling that will be changing with procedural generation for at least the map portions. Probably some of the quests too. And now they have MSFT who will be driving them from all angles.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I'm over seamless travel between stars. After traveling in No Mans Sky, Starsector, Dyson Sphere Program, Elite Dangerous, Star Citizen I'm happy to have a warp animation -> load screen -> warp entry into an interesting location. They should just rip off Freelancer and have miniature sized planets / star systems that are fun to travel around in and let Star Citizen / ED bore players to death with realism.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I'm over seamless travel between stars. After traveling in No Mans Sky, Starsector, Dyson Sphere Program, Elite Dangerous, Star Citizen I'm happy to have a warp animation -> load screen -> warp entry into an interesting location. They should just rip off Freelancer and have miniature sized planets / star systems that are fun to travel around in and let Star Citizen / ED bore players to death with realism.
Unless they want to make full realism and actually make atmosphere entry a thing that requires specific gameplay, it is a pretty pointless feature yeah. Just means it takes longer to get to where you want to be. Most of these games don't care about your angle of entry, velocity, air resistance or anything else, so it's literally a disguised loading screen where you're just flying through the atmosphere until you're at a low enough altitude on the planet you can consider it as flying on the planet.

• 1Like