Starfield - Fallout fallout that isn't ES6

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
He said it at the 2011 E3 Skyrim presentation showcase. Good luck finding it however. After the video above Bethesda started wanting to take down Todd Howards bullshit and succeeded for a time.
Ya, I just tried to find it to prove that he didnt say "walk" like he does in the sit down interview. Dude is literally on stage during E3 2011 and says that specific wording being mentioned, but the video is no where to be found. Really though, I dont care that damn much to go out of my way to defame Todd Howard. If someone wants to believe he's an altruistic great person, more power to them.

Starfield is likely going to have a shit tier release and then after a year of the community going ape shit, enough patches and mods will come out that itll be a fun game. Its like people forgot about Fall Out 76 and all the horse shit that was promised to be in that game.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
He said it at the 2011 E3 Skyrim presentation showcase. Good luck finding it however. After the video above Bethesda started wanting to take down Todd Howards bullshit and succeeded for a time.

One of the only links I could find left: We’re All Todd Howards Climbing Mountains in the Hyperreality of Skyrim

Dude is an ass clown.
you fucking nerds and whining about skyrim not having climbing mechanics. That all sounds like some mandela effect bullshit to me.

But let's suppose he did say climb, I don't want Gambryo jumblefucking itself up a mountain with AC mechanics. Other than the constant mountain climbing you do throughout the game, starting with the mountain pictured in the meme, one of the highlights of Skyrim is when you climb up a massive mountain to go meet Max von Sydow. You spend the entire game being shadowed by this massive environment background piece and scaling it is a huge adventure with a unique setting that unlocks the player's true potential. Consider the checkbox marked.

I'm not even a Todd Howard fanboy or anything, but consider his job: he's got to present the vision for games ahead of them being realized. It's his job to speak bullshit externally, define bullshit internally and then push his teams to turn that bullshit into reality. Sometimes it works and you get the incredible climb up the Throat of the World or the crazy dynamic dragon fights in Skyrim. Other times you get NPCs in Oblivion having hobo conversations or "another settlement needs your help" in Fallout 4. But I'll take Bethesda evangilizing big, ambitious ideas that sometimes turn out to be horseshit over them getting conservative.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Bottom line was that Skyrim was fucking epic for its time, shit , its still epic vs all the garbage coming out today. FO3-4 were fucking epics of their own, especially FO4 which IMO was one of the best rpg ever. Broken in some ways? Sure, but you cannot have perfection especally with massive games like that. 100s and 100s of horus in those games and worth every penny.

So you can nit pick "climbing" vs walking and running all you want lol. Ill continue buying until they go woke and broke. Which does not look like its the case yet.

• 1Solidarity

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Yeah the point isn’t the games were not good. The point is Todd Howard is and always has been a walking human piece of shit.

This game particularly is in serious trouble. An Ex developer stated as such and was spot on whether this title would be delayed based on a space flight beta test. Now, if any other company (Let’s use From Software as an example) says we need to delay it due to polishing, that’s believable. After Fallout 76, Bethesda’s bar is so fucking low it means they couldn’t get away with launching it in its current form otherwise they would have.

We could also easily get into it with regards to Bethesda would have pushed this shit out anyway, but MS saw it as a win to hold it back since a metric fuck ton of 3 year Gamepass Sub for a dollar tricks are up in Q4 calendar year 2022 and they have jack shit to launch to keep people subbed and allowed it to be pushed in tandem.

Remember folks, smoke and mirrors is the name of the game in this industry.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
NM I misread your post.

Again UT on a crusade to save us all $60 from those evil devs set to ruin the world.

Also have you even played FO76? I have, granted about 6 mos after release so we had not the same experience as launch, but the game was fine. Me and my kid spent about 150 hrs going through story.

Last edited:

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
NM I misread your post.

Again UT on a crusade to save us all $60 from those evil devs set to ruin the world.

Also have you even played FO76? I have, granted about 6 mos after release so we had not the same experience as launch, but the game was fine. Me and my kid spent about 150 hrs going through story.

Yeah I played it. Glad you had fun with your kid. But I also know you and your kid could go cut your lawn with a nail clipper and come back in and spout about all the glorious fun you had for 19 hours.

1655221997103.png

The post was about Todd Howard being a POS. And Starfield is in trouble. I'll be playing it too via Gamepass when it comes out but tempering expectations obviously. And if you have GP or not, no one should shell out 60 for this thing since you can just sub for a month and either play it on Xbox or PC.

• 1NPC

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The point is Todd Howard is and always has been a walking human piece of shit.
Todd Howard overpromises but still delivers some of the greatest games every made. Calling a walking human piece of shit is undeserved. You're acting like he ran over your dog while gorging on infant formula .

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
As I said in another thread, Skyrim/Fallout in space plus add in ship and basebuilding and that's a pretty good foundation already. It's a big vision that may not be great in execution but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, earned with Skyrim/Fallout 4. The mod scene is probably going to be insane for this game.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I expect this to be the typical Bethesda game release with tons of that eventually becomes great through patches and mods.

Now that being said will Microsoft allow one of their biggest first party exclusive to release with the typical Bethesda lack of polish, or will they push for better quality. How much influence will being owned by Microsoft will have on Bethesda?

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I expect this to be the typical Bethesda game release with tons of that eventually becomes great through patches and mods.

Now that being said will Microsoft allow one of their biggest first party exclusive to release with the typical Bethesda lack of polish, or will they push for better quality. How much influence will being owned by Microsoft will have on Bethesda?

Being what we saw with Halo Infinite I would bet it doesn't matter.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Todd Howard overpromises but still delivers some of the greatest games every made. Calling a walking human piece of shit is undeserved. You're acting like he ran over your dog while gorging on infant formula .

I really do not care either way. Loved Skyrim, FO3 and FO4. I hope it is good and fun to play for Starfield on Series X and I will download it via Gamepass regardless.

But he is a walking human piece of shit :)

Cabales

Trakanon Raider
I haven't played FO76, but I don't think it's a good idea to compare them anyway. Isn't it a different development team than the mainline FO and Skyrim teams? Kinda like comparing ESO to Skyrim?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I haven't played FO76, but I don't think it's a good idea to compare them anyway. Isn't it a different development team than the mainline FO and Skyrim teams? Kinda like comparing ESO to Skyrim?
yes and if you have not played it and like the whole fallout thing, give it a try. Prob can get it for free on xpass and you will get like 150 hrs of FO goodness. Dont listen to the naysayers. The game might have been trash at release but its not anymore.

Cabales

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, I'm not necessarily avoiding it, but I just have so many games in the backlog that we'll just have to see if I ever make it there. Major Elder Scrolls and Fallout releases are an immediately drop everything and start playing kinda thing though. I will play Starfield as soon as it's available, and then come back for future playthroughs when expansions and mods seem compelling enough.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
yes and if you have not played it and like the whole fallout thing, give it a try. Prob can get it for free on xpass and you will get like 150 hrs of FO goodness. Dont listen to the naysayers. The game might have been trash at release but its not anymore.
Release had mass amounts of cheating, game breaking nuke bugs, storage bugs, game breaking crashes, lack of any type of substantial content, and the list goes on and on and on. Never mind the people that got shit on with the preorder bonuses etc. All it takes is a good watch at the people freaking out about it at release. On the flip side of that, I played it again at the last so called expansions release and it was a night and day difference for the better.

Im sure Starfield will be the same in that regard and just feel people should lower their expectations for release being as fun as it was in games of the past.

• 1Like

Cabales

Trakanon Raider
Bethesda games have always been buggy as hell at release. This is true all the way back to Arena and Daggerfall. I just think the bar for Starfield should be Skyrim and FO4, both buggy and broken, but still fun. I don't think FO76 or ESO (not that anyone has been referring to ESO) are the right titles to compare it to. I agree that you're probably looking at 12-18 months before the game is in a "final" state. I expect it to be fun during that timeframe though. We'll see.

I didn't realize until today that it had been pushed back to 2023 though. I thought the window was still November. :(