Starfield - Fallout fallout that isn't ES6

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Didnt Bungie do something like this with Destiny on a superbowl? I remember Led Zeppelin Immigrant Song playing.

They had that as an add, they used to do live action commercials but one never played on the superbowl

Cybsled

People on the internet hate Bethesda

Bethesda games, on the other hand, sell quite well

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Talos

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I'll probably get it eventually but definitely not day 1. I still mod and play Skyrim every once in a while. Haven't even touched Fallout 4 yet.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Thats kind of the thing with Bethesda games. You want to wait until people have made a ton of mods for them. That way, you can modify the UI, the skill system, the combat, the graphics, etc. Basically any kind of way that you can interact with the game, you can mod it to fit how you think it should be, or at least pretty damn close. Then the rest just comes down to how good the base part of the game is. Which Skyrim was packed full of side content, mysteries, a story that was kind of good, and more. So was FO4.

The fact that they tried to monetize mods in any type of way was a huge clue that the corpos at the top had no idea what makes Bethesda games special. So waiting six+ months for Starfield to "bake" is perfectly fine in my book.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Well maybe now under Microsoft some changes will be made. I mean didnt they already axe like 1000 pees or some shit?

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
People actually hate Bethesda. I wouldn’t be surprised if it sells like shit because gamepass.

Some people do. Most people just know Skyrim and the memes/cultural footprint it left. You'd see arrows to the knee and Fus Roh Dah all over even non-gaming places.

• 2Like

Cabales

Trakanon Raider
I still enjoy flagship Bethesda games. I rarely finish them, but I get tons of hours out of them and enjoy running around in the worlds they create. I'm looking forward to Skyrim/Fallout in space, but I do have Gamepass, so there's no reason for me to spend any money on this until DLCs start being released.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
People actually hate Bethesda. I wouldn’t be surprised if it sells like shit because gamepass.
Hateful people hate Bethesda. And most of everything else. Meanwhile, Bethesda has made some of the most loved games of all time and is one of the few development workshops that have consistently pushed ambitious open-world games for decades.

• 2Like
  • 1Picard
  • 1Faggotry
Reactions: 3 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Hateful people hate Bethesda. And most of everything else. Meanwhile, Bethesda has made some of the most loved games of all time and is one of the few development workshops that have consistently pushed ambitious open-world games for decades.

I agree. However, just like Bioware used to make fantastic games, now they are a shit show. We are at that point and seeing it with Starfield development. To be honest, this really started to happen when they started charging for mods.

• 2Like

Cybsled

Charging for mods just lets them monetize console plebs. They’ve never really banned mods outside of Fallout76, but that is because it is an online only game

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Charging for mods just lets them monetize console plebs. They’ve never really banned mods outside of Fallout76, but that is because it is an online only game
I never followed the mod monetizing drama but if they could monetize mods and drive a bulk of the $$$ into the pockets of modders while retaining only enough to justify the extra workforce necessary to accomodate the increase of plebs (PC or console) using mods, while also retaining modder independence, it'd be huge for Bethesda games. I'm sure they fucked it up given how they cancelled that idea.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Screenshotted>

Often the hate is due to them being so unbalanced as a studio. They do certain things SO well (convincing, living, open worlds), and other things SO poorly.

Nobody rages over the garbage studio that creates 100% garbage, they simply acknowledge it and make fun of it. The rage is for what could have been.

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
People have been saying Bethesda is dead since Oblivion horse armor or before, but even vanilla Skyrim was one of the best games of the last decade. If you count mods, its one of the best games of all time.

• 2Picard
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
What are you seeing with Starfield development that reminds you of Bioware?

Well, definitely the woke nonsense infiltrated as it did Bioware. They are holding on to a bastardized engine and rather than do research up front that Z-Axis never was a thought in their previous games, with their Gamebryo modifications, it hit them hard while designing space flight. Foresight is not their thing right now. Rather than license an engine they use their homebrew that is 25 years old and they have a convoluted speghetti coded nightmare to work with and won't get rid of it because of severe cost cutting measures. (This is also what Bioware was forced to do when they had to make everything around Frostbite which wasn't designed for their games but Dice's shooters.

People fail to forget Skyrim was released 12 years ago. I could say Bioware is still good because they released one of the best space games I have played in Mass effect 2.

Bethesda's Starfield is in major trouble. I'll still play it because it's on Gamepass - but what was once a for sure buy, without Gamepass I would hesitate knowing the troubled development.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Well, definitely the woke nonsense infiltrated as it did Bioware. They are holding on to a bastardized engine and rather than do research up front that Z-Axis never was a thought in their previous games, with their Gamebryo modifications, it hit them hard while designing space flight. Foresight is not their thing right now. Rather than license an engine they use their homebrew that is 25 years old and they have a convoluted speghetti coded nightmare to work with and won't get rid of it because of severe cost cutting measures. (This is also what Bioware was forced to do when they had to make everything around Frostbite which wasn't designed for their games but Dice's shooters.

People fail to forget Skyrim was released 12 years ago. I could say Bioware is still good because they released one of the best space games I have played in Mass effect 2.

Bethesda's Starfield is in major trouble. I'll still play it because it's on Gamepass - but what was once a for sure buy, without Gamepass I would hesitate knowing the troubled development.
As someone who develops using Unreal these days I'd love it if they ditched Gambryo in like, 2000 when they made Oblivion, much less in 2023, like, give it up guys. However, I don't see how that relates to Bioware. Don't they use Frostbite and Unreal?

And for the wokeness, what'd they do to embrace wokeness?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Just wait and see how gay space is this year.

• 3Worf
  • 1Double Worf
  • 1Faggotry
Reactions: 4 users

Cabales

Trakanon Raider
I just don't understand lumping them in with Bioware at all. The only games from Bethesda that I can think that weren't great were games published by Bethesda, not developed by Bethesda. If Starfield sucks it will be their first failure for me. I'm really looking forward to it.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
  • 2Like
  • 1WTF
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users