Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler

Screenshot_20230907_133712_Chrome.png

I now have all the mods I need.

• 4WTF
  • 2Double Worf
Reactions: 5 users

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
This is where their procedural stuff is. The POI you can see from space are set in stone, then no matter where you land it generates more. When you look at a planet from the star map it will have little dots on it. The amount of dots is equal the set in stone POI it has.
I'm not sure that's true. I'm on Curbeam and it has three dots but only one POI from space. After I visited that one outpost, all the dots were gone.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
They did a lot of generic stuff, that means it's good? Yikes. You sure that's the point you want to make?

The broader concern is one you elude to. These giant, corporate studios like Bethesda, EA and Blizzard have been living on early successes they haven't been able to replicate in a long time. They haven't evolved or improved. They just keep shitting out the same basic game design, in some cases using the same outdated game engines, and expect the same praise and congratulations.

This game feels instantly like it's a decade old, because it basically is. And they did little to modernize gameplay or game systems.

And why would they? They'll sell enough to low information consumers to justify their half assed effort. The good games that brought them mainstream success are now being copy/pasted a decade later to the mainstream. Maybe it's good business, but don't argue it's good gaming or good for the gaming industry.
That's not my argument at all so don't strawman me here. It's their *design language*; its a BGS game, its going to share a lot of features and design choices with their previous games. Why wouldn't it? They have made some of the most popular games of all time. It's not low effort, its their brand, ffs. People would be hugely angry if they DIDN'T make it like Skyrim/Fallout; that's what (many) people want, except those who were in this case looking for (A Better) Star Citizen/ or (A Bethesda) NMS.

I think that there is a lot to this game that is yet to be discovered, and an unexpected learning curve to get over in the first few hours... or longer potentially; there is just so much that I think doesn't carry over from other BGS games; what they missed here is that every player needs a good "new player experience" that Starfield doesn't really deliver, so a lot of people who otherwise might love that game if they had just stuck with it are just going to bounce off and quit and/or refund, given the hype/experience delta.

Just perusing the r/Starfield subreddit there are all kinds of things that I have yet to see; I haven't done any of the faction missions yet (I was unclear if doing one locked you out of the others, or if they were like the guilds in the ES games). I'm still excited to see where it will go. Maybe it is going to be wide and shallow and repetitive, and BGS is banking on NG+ too much. NG+ doesn't hold much allure for me but we'll see.

Last edited:

Zefah

<Gold Donor>
Similar to the lol fun levels of "base building" in Fallout 4.

The tools and flexibility of the system were not bad at all. They just never gave you a good reason to engage with it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

Ya settlements in FO4 didn’t have great usage beyond having connected storage for crafting really, so it was mostly to have fun building stuff

At least in Starfield there is a bit more directed usage: make money and customize your ship

• 2Like

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
So NG+....

ng+ removes all your shit and apparently has differentish crap happen in the multiverse on subsequent playthroughs. it also upgrades the suit/ship that does carry over like the first 10 times. kind of annoying if you happen to invest into ships/outpost etc. so long story short don't invest in anything if you plan on running through ng+ <_<.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
So NG+....

ng+ removes all your shit and apparently has differentish crap happen in the multiverse on subsequent playthroughs. it also upgrades the suit/ship that does carry over like the first 10 times. kind of annoying if you happen to invest into ships/outpost etc. so long story short don't invest in anything if you plan on running through ng+ <_<.
Yea, I looked up NG+ (because people said it was something major) and it didn't seem worth it unless you really really love Beth games. Even then, it's should be used as a means to play a fresh game with small changes and a few bonuses.

For me it's a pointless feature, since Beth games are basically a theme park where you can ride all the rides in a single game, usually devoid of choice and consequence. Not that I will even finish half of the (non randomly generated) quests before quitting, or probably even see the end of the main story.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ditto. Looked up the NG+ first, didn't look all the impressive(though I bet finishing MSQ will be tied to future stuff), so I wont bother. Especially as the side quests are the most interesting here. Though getting supers powers from MSQ is hilarious. Figure do most of them, build a huge outpost and a baller ship and then be done until future content/mods.

Cybsled

I wouldn’t be half surprised if they pull a Fallout 3 and a DLC redoes the ending lol

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
That's not my argument at all so don't strawman me here. It's their *design language*; its a BGS game, its going to share a lot of features and design choices with their previous games. Why wouldn't it? They have made some of the most popular games of all time. It's not low effort, its their brand, ffs. People would be hugely angry if they DIDN'T make it like Skyrim/Fallout; that's what (many) people want, except those who were in this case looking for (A Better) Star Citizen/ or (A Bethesda) NMS.

How am I creating a strawman out of this argument:

The DF guys made this point: Whereas Skyrim or Fallout were limited to a single Kingdom or type of terrain, this has a bunch of different environments. In no way can you classify this as "low effort" FFS: It's a Bethesda game, with all of benefits and limitations that come with their design language and methodology. They applied that methodology to a Sci-Fi Space setting, with updated graphics and a brand new IP. Its not as good as people inflated it to be, nor is it as bad as people are making it out to be with that kind of rhetoric.

You brought up the point (you seem to think is novel) that Fallout and Elder Scrolls games were limited to a single kingdom and type of terrain, but Starfield has a bunch of different environments. That's what I responded to. That Starfield seems boring and generic, and you're like yeah but there's way more of that than other Bethesda games. /Boggle

If you didn't mean to post that or that's not something you meant then it seems like your inability to communicate is the problem not some accusations I'm strawmanning your argument.

Design language and methodology, guys!!! People would be hugely angry if the inventory system didn't suck and need to be fixed by modders!!!

That's my point. Maybe instead of Bethesda getting high on their own farts under the guise they can produce mediocre shit because it's their brand... maybe they could have just made improvements on the same shitty game engine and design laziness that has always plagued these dumb fucks and the ADHD* spazzlords that defend it.

It's like the cognitive dissonance two button meme of all time: Bethesda games are thooper popular and it's an unimpeachable brand, but also stop complaining because the mod community will fix the game eventually.

The game is great because it's classic Bethesda and people expect it to be highly flawed!!! Phew lad.

Meanwhile good studios like Fromsoft are making masterpieces like Elden Ring because they aren't resting on their laurels like the low effort fucks at Bethesda.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob

no real issues for me, i think i will zip through the main story and start ignoring the infinite side quests and activities i keep getting thrown

• 1Worf

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I tried getting into this game. Everything is so clunky to do anything. The final straw for me is Alpha Centauri is a single star system. Uninstalled....

Any website that gave this game a 10/10 should be banned from being referenced ever again on this forum. The UI at the very least knocks it down to a 8/10. Quit excusing Bethesda for their shitty UI's.

• 7Like
  • 2Worf
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 10 users

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The final straw for me is Alpha Centauri is a single star system. Uninstalled....

Lmao. Should just of left this out. Rest is good criticism, then this about a video game fake universe.

• 1Moron
  • 1Picard

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
How am I creating a strawman out of this argument:

You brought up the point (you seem to think is novel) that Fallout and Elder Scrolls games were limited to a single kingdom and type of terrain, but Starfield has a bunch of different environments. That's what I responded to. That Starfield seems boring and generic, and you're like yeah but there's way more of that than other Bethesda games. /Boggle

If you didn't mean to post that or that's not something you meant then it seems like your inability to communicate is the problem not some accusations I'm strawmanning your argument.

Design language and methodology, guys!!! People would be hugely angry if the inventory system didn't suck and need to be fixed by modders!!!
Yeah, my inability to communicate, because I didn't think I need to write a dissertation to convey the point that DIGITAL FOUNDRY was trying to make. The point is that it isn't "boring and generic" at least in my estimation. HERE'S THE STRAWMAN. "At least there's more of it" No, that isn't it and is at best an ungenerous reading of my admittedly terse post, because I am trying to spend what time I have *PLAYING THE GAME*.

That's my point. Maybe instead of Bethesda getting high on their own farts under the guise they can produce mediocre shit because it's their brand... maybe they could have just made improvements on the same shitty game engine and design laziness that has always plagued these dumb fucks and the ADHD* spazzlords that defend it.

That's not the brand or design language I am talking about but since you mentioned spazzlords sperging, by all means please continue.

It's like the cognitive dissonance two button meme of all time: Bethesda games are thooper popular and it's an unimpeachable brand, but also stop complaining because the mod community will fix the game eventually.

The game is great because it's classic Bethesda and people expect it to be highly flawed!!! Phew lad.
I'll take "Arguments nobody made for $1000, Alex".

Meanwhile good studios like Fromsoft are making masterpieces like Elden Ring because they aren't resting on their laurels like the low effort fucks at Bethesda.
Elden Ring is an all time amazing game and From Software is an amazing studio but the open world nature of Elden Ring is basically choosing which encounters you tackle and in which order, as opposed to the paths from the previous Souls games, as I understand them. Its a different order of magnitude and really a different kind of game from a Bethesda game.

I don't think that Bethesda expects anyone to "fix" their game; the extensibility and modability of BGS games have extended their life and its a benefit to their players if they want to make changes to them and improve them.

I have myself provided any number of negative feedback on the game and things that need to be improved, from the start to the UI; the inventory system is actually not bad once you figure out *how* to interact with it; the weight limit obviously feels bad, man, since you want to loot everything but its a system to be worked and grown into, skill and equipment wise. Once you get that limit up, its manageable. One can always just accept less profit from a run but what gamer wants to do that?

Bottom line is, if you don't want play it, don't; Holy fuck. Show us on the doll where they touched you.

Last edited:

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I don’t remember the last time I got this addicted to a game, just hit 80 hours played tonight.

I mostly did random stuff, tweaked my ship to be more combat focused and got piloting to rank 4, and promptly spent 270K to get me a C class ship with 2700 cargo, room for 7 crew members ( need to skill up to have that many though) some pretty good shield and decent firepower. It looks pretty cool too.

IMG_0064.jpeg

Someone mentioned that they travel everywhere rather than fast travel because of random stuff that can happen when you arrive in space, which I also do. A good example is entering a random system, I got message to go somewhere. I go, land on a planet in another system, do a pretty cool quest chain which eventually rewards me with a legendary armor. This would have been missed if I had fast traveled. There’s load of those.

I got a new blue pistol that does 300dmg…for a pistol I one shot level 60 at level 33 with it. Pretty awesome, especially as I am trained in pistols. :)

I really want to craft and get into base building but don’t have enough skill points to invest yet.

Time to go to bed. Can’t wait to wake up and continue my adventures tomorrow. :)

• 9Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 9 users

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
First thing I did on my new ship was change out weapons. Maybe a mistake, since the lasers/railgun on it took spaceship design 3 or something, but they just felt so weak and fired so slow and had something around 1000 range. And a single rail gun with 3 lasers.

Just took them all out and put on 4 particle weapons that do both shield and hull, can fire forever up to I think it said 3500 range. Plus assign barret with the particle beam weapon system to make them better.

• 1Like

Cybsled

The final straw for me is Alpha Centauri is a single star system

It isn't. Have you ever moused over a star and it lists 2 system names? That is because there is more than 1 star system. When you click on the star on the map, you can then click on the highlighted name to pick which system you want to go to.

• 1Like