Starfield - Fallout fallout that isn't ES6

Burns

Is the camera was wonky as it is with the ship building?

I want to do my outpost this weekend. Need to find a planet to do it on though, will probably just cheat and look up a good place , instead of trying to inspect 1 by 1.

From what I have read though early, iron, aluminum and He3 are good ones you want. Though it seems the pain the ass comes from trying to find a spot where all resources converge , so you can cover it with 1 base.
Camera is a different kind of wonky, dunno if it's better or worse.

As for base location selection, finding all 3 in a single base area shouldn't be too hard. You just land on a border between 2 biomes. I think biomes with He3, may also have Aluminum (at least the recommended "best" planet found so far did), and hills/mountains usually have Iron. It's all RNG, so no one can tell you exactly where to go, you just have to run around the planet with the outpost building up, watching it add and remove resources to the UI frame as you run.

I figured the game wouldn't last long enough to build very many of them, so I spent way too much time trying for find a perfect place for a main base. So it has 6 total materials, including those 3...well, it no longer has He3, if somehow one of my mines blows up.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Burns

2023-09-08 11.58.27 www.nfohump.com 6fc5be4cc379.png

2023-09-08 11.58.56 www.nfohump.com 9745d197ff7c.png

• 23Worf
  • 1WTF
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 25 users

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Yeah I was like, where's Proxima Centauri?

And as others have said, the fast travel ruins the feel of actually being a space game. Might as well be 1000 cities on a single planet. What's the difference really?
This is how fucked the UI and gameplay experience is...

What is and isn't fast travel? If I just sit in space at full thrusters aiming towards my mission goal, I go literally nowhere. I do not understand what is and isn't fast travel.

• 1WTF

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
This is how fucked the UI and gameplay experience is...

What is and isn't fast travel? If I just sit in space at full thrusters aiming towards my mission goal, I go literally nowhere. I do not understand what is and isn't fast travel.
Fast travel is hitting a button that says it's going to go to a specific destination. Pointing in one direction and hitting your thrusters is definitely not fast travel.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Fast travel is hitting a button that says it's going to go to a specific destination. Pointing in one direction and hitting your thrusters is definitely not fast travel.
But my question is, how do I avoid fast travel and actually do missions/get the space "experience" if I'm traveling at 104m/s? I'll literally never get to my mission marker in my life time.

How are people doing missions and not fast travelling? Is there more than 1 version of fast travel?

Does using my grav drive count as fast travel?

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
But my question is, how do I avoid fast travel and actually do missions/get the space "experience" if I'm traveling at 104m/s? I'll literally never get to my mission marker in my life time.

How are people doing missions and not fast travelling? Is there more than 1 version of fast travel?

Does using my grav drive count as fast travel?
No one is doing missions without fast traveling. Only difference is whether you initiate the fast travel from your cockpit view or from the UI map view. That's assuming your objective is not in the area you're at. Grav drive is fast travel.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
No one is doing missions without fast traveling. Only difference is whether you initiate the fast travel from your cockpit view or from the UI map view. That's assuming your objective is not in the area you're at. Grav drive is fast travel.
So then how are people getting these random space encounters if they're also fast travelling everywhere (because you cannot not fast travel)?

Edit: is this what people are actually talking about? You can fast travel between explored points of interest, not getting in your ship and manually using the grav drive?

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The problem with outposts is the only reason to build an outpost is to get resources to build more outposts. There's far better ways to make money, and far easier ways to get all the resources you need for whatever trade skills you take. The biggest problem is the retarded design of storage in the game. The only place you can drop an infinite amount of stuff is the safe in the Lodge, everywhere else is a colossal pain in the ass.

Build one outpost somewhere convenient and put down a large ship pad so you can mod your ships with about 80% of the modules available. Maybe add mission terminals if you want, but other than that, why bother?

So then how are people getting these random space encounters if they're also fast travelling everywhere (because you cannot not fast travel)?
If you want fast travel to not ruin the game, just make sure it always says "Jump" and not "Land". If it says "Land" press B (tab on kb?) and back out one level to change it to "Jump". Obviously there's exceptions like if you're doing tedious shit like moving around ungodly amounts of stuff while overburdened, moving from place to place on the planet you're currently on, or you need to sell off contraband without risking a scan, etc.

• 1Like

Burns

Was going to take a stab at explaining the fast travel, but people are too fast with the responses. So have more funny faces instead:

Various reaction templates?
2023-09-08 12.20.31 www.nfohump.com c3cfd02ede04.png

Last edited:
  • 5Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Chimney

Trakanon Raider

Edit: is this what people are actually talking about? You can fast travel between explored points of interest, not getting in your ship and manually using the grav drive?

Flying around aimlessly hasn't seemed to trigger anything. Basically fast travel to a place and while you're hovering outside of a planet or station or whatever there is a chance for things to occur. I've had things like intervening in space battles between various factions/pirates, school ship, insurance ship, bounty hunters etc. No idea the frequency or if they are specific to certain planets/regions but after 40 hours I've had maybe a dozen occur ping ponging around space.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Flying around aimlessly hasn't seemed to trigger anything. Basically fast travel to a place and while you're hovering outside of a planet or station or whatever there is a chance for things to occur. I've had things like intervening in space battles between various factions/pirates, school ship, insurance ship, bounty hunters etc. No idea the frequency or if they are specific to certain planets/regions but after 40 hours I've had maybe a dozen occur ping ponging around space.
It's crazy to me that there aren't points of interest for players to explore in their ship that function largely as classic Bethesda dungeons. Everything about the engine seems to support it and it'd be inline with their typical gameplay loops. Anything from exploring the interior of a large asteroid to a derelict space manufacturing center to an asteroid field etc with rando mobs to kill, a boss at the end and a chest would be a lot of fun.

Given that you can apparently fly from Earth to Pluto seemlessly, having a warp-speed mode that's between the gravdrive and normal propulsion also seems feasible. I wonder if players can easily increase their ship speed 1000x and what that does to the engine.

Burns

It's crazy to me that there aren't points of interest for players to explore in their ship that function largely as classic Bethesda dungeons. Everything about the engine seems to support it and it'd be inline with their typical gameplay loops. Anything from exploring the interior of a large asteroid to a derelict space manufacturing center to an asteroid field etc would be a lot of fun.

Given that you can apparently fly from Earth to Pluto seemlessly, having a warp-speed mode that's between the gravdrive and normal propulsion also seems feasible. I wonder if players can easily increase their ship speed 1000x and what that does to the engine.
Supposedly you can make a ship up to 80 x 80 squares, so it would be hard to make ship/space events, like that, compelling for such a wide different in ship size.

After reading that, I thought making a Borg cube would be funny, but I made a pretty big ship and it gets shit framerate (6fps) on my potato. So 80 x 80 would become seconds per frame.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Supposedly you can make a ship up to 80 x 80 squares, so it would be hard to make space things, like that, compelling for such a wide different in ship size.
I'd argue that's a reasonable limitation to introduce to players though. There are already resources only suitable for smaller ships (specifically there are two landing pad options in your outpost). If a player shows up with their capital class star destroyer to enter an asteroid inlet, I think it'd be fine to let them blow themselves up.

I imagine a lot of players will accrue purpose-built ships, including cargo haulers, massive fortress ships and maneuverable fighters.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
The problem with outposts is the only reason to build an outpost is to get resources to build more outposts. There's far better ways to make money, and far easier ways to get all the resources you need for whatever trade skills you take. The biggest problem is the retarded design of storage in the game. The only place you can drop an infinite amount of stuff is the safe in the Lodge
So just like base building in FO4.

Burns

I'd argue that's a reasonable limitation to introduce to players though. There are already resources only suitable for smaller ships (specifically there are two landing pad options in your outpost). If a player shows up with their capital class star destroyer to enter an asteroid inlet, I think it'd be fine to let them blow themselves up.

I imagine a lot of players will accrue purpose-built ships, including cargo haulers, massive fortress ships and maneuverable fighters.
Yea, I had to build the big landing pad for my ship, but it took at least an hour to build that ship, so too late to get a new one now!

But yea, I could see a more robust space mini game that different ship classes can do different things.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
So just like base building in FO4.
Vorph Vorph I was kind of expecting it to be like Kenshi where the cost and rarity of gear mods would scale exponentially, until it got to a point where the only viable way to get the best shit was to build it inhouse. I'm kind of surprised that's not the case in Starfield. (Note that I'm only at beginning outpost stages, so I didn't see that result for myself).

• 1Like

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
It's crazy to me that there aren't points of interest for players to explore in their ship that function largely as classic Bethesda dungeons. Everything about the engine seems to support it and it'd be inline with their typical gameplay loops. Anything from exploring the interior of a large asteroid to a derelict space manufacturing center to an asteroid field etc with rando mobs to kill, a boss at the end and a chest would be a lot of fun.

I hadn't heard this but Ut mentioned that spaceflight had been redone; perhaps that is why there aren't those things, which are pretty common in Eve Online (which one would expect, given its entirely ship driven).

Perhaps they just decided to hold off on the Ship stuff for an expansion and focus on keeping it from being CP2077 at launch.

Edit Part Deux: posted just above.

Last edited:
  • 1Repost
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users