Starfield - Fallout fallout that isn't ES6

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
I don’t remember the last time I got this addicted to a game, just hit 80 hours played tonight.

I mostly did random stuff, tweaked my ship to be more combat focused and got piloting to rank 4, and promptly spent 270K to get me a C class ship with 2700 cargo, room for 7 crew members ( need to skill up to have that many though) some pretty good shield and decent firepower. It looks pretty cool too.

View attachment 489789

Someone mentioned that they travel everywhere rather than fast travel because of random stuff that can happen when you arrive in space, which I also do. A good example is entering a random system, I got message to go somewhere. I go, land on a planet in another system, do a pretty cool quest chain which eventually rewards me with a legendary armor. This would have been missed if I had fast traveled. There’s load of those.

I got a new blue pistol that does 300dmg…for a pistol I one shot level 60 at level 33 with it. Pretty awesome, especially as I am trained in pistols. :)

I really want to craft and get into base building but don’t have enough skill points to invest yet.

Time to go to bed. Can’t wait to wake up and continue my adventures tomorrow. :)
My biggest surprise and chaffing comes from the Oblivion? skill system; I much preferred the Skyrim system of getting experience by doing/using skills, and when you got 10 skill points you leveled. With that system, if you want to level your stealth, you used sneak; your two handed weapons, you equipped a two handed sword and went to work. Your character reflected your actions and if you want to change your skills, you changed your play. Now in this, and I assume in Oblivion, wow I don't remember that game even though I finished the MSQ, you level and then you invest points to grow your character, which feels more backwards; it works for ranks but not for new skills.

I really want to do crafting but now I have to wait at least 4 levels for points in science as I had almost nothing in science up to that point, I got medicine, which was far more useful that I had realized before the game started, as well as surveying but that restricts my other plans. I am leveling awfully slow but probably because I am doing more aimless wandering and surveying of random planets than I should. I am going to start the FreeStar Rangers questline tonight as I have a long weekend and plans to do nothing but play this.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Hell if anything there are far far more 'white' people in Starfield than would be expected after several centuries of genetic diversity.
Considering the current state of the world, you think "several centuries of genetic diversity" would lead to a space-faring species that's colonizing other planets? Are Voodoo propulsion engines a thing?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
4.jpg

• 1Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I tried getting into this game. Everything is so clunky to do anything. The final straw for me is Alpha Centauri is a single star system. Uninstalled....

Any website that gave this game a 10/10 should be banned from being referenced ever again on this forum. The UI at the very least knocks it down to a 8/10. Quit excusing Bethesda for their shitty UI's.
Ya know, them stars are pretty fucking far part, right? If you were at any one of them, the other star would either be completely invisible if it was proxima, to something like a few times as bright as jupiter is at its brightest if it were A or B (oh ahh amazing).

I bet the devs knew this and just made A and B seperate star systems and just said fuck C, since it's pretty damn gimpy as far as stars go, even if it does have planets. Personally I'd be triggered if A or B had planets in further orbits, cause I'd guess anything outside of like 10 AU would get tossed into deep space after a few billion years, and honestly without doing math I'd be surprised if anything more than 3-4 AU would be that stable. REEEEEEEEE orbital mechanics being inaccurate or nonsense is the worst.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Yeah, my inability to communicate, because I didn't think I need to write a dissertation to convey the point that DIGITAL FOUNDRY was trying to make. The point is that it isn't "boring and generic" at least in my estimation. HERE'S THE STRAWMAN. "At least there's more of it" No, that isn't it and is at best an ungenerous reading of my admittedly terse post, because I am trying to spend what time I have *PLAYING THE GAME*.

That's not the brand or design language I am talking about but since you mentioned spazzlords sperging, by all means please continue.

I'll take "Arguments nobody made for $1000, Alex".

Elden Ring is an all time amazing game and From Software is an amazing studio but the open world nature of Elden Ring is basically choosing which encounters you tackle and in which order, as opposed to the paths from the previous Souls games, as I understand them. Its a different order of magnitude and really a different kind of game from a Bethesda game.

I don't think that Bethesda expects anyone to "fix" their game; the extensibility and modability of BGS games have extended their life and its a benefit to their players if they want to make changes to them and improve them.

I have myself provided any number of negative feedback on the game and things that need to be improved, from the start to the UI; the inventory system is actually not bad once you figure out *how* to interact with it; the weight limit obviously feels bad, man, since you want to loot everything but its a system to be worked and grown into, skill and equipment wise. Once you get that limit up, its manageable. One can always just accept less profit from a run but what gamer wants to do that?

Bottom line is, if you don't want play it, don't; Holy fuck. Show us on the doll where they touched you.

I say the game feels boring and generic. You retort by pointing out someone else made a point that was apparently very novel to you that Starfield has way more environments than Fallout or ES games, and that didn't at all refute my point I think the setting and game is boring and generic so quipped that more boring and generic isn't really a selling point.

And your response is again some weird appeal to authority that YEAH BUT DIGITAL FOUNDRY. Nobody cares, faggot. I think the game is boring and generic and feels like I was ported back a decade into a game engine and settings that were already getting long in the tooth. You saying some other guys pointed out there are way more environments is at best a tangential, idiotic point not relevant to anything I said, or at worst something you thought was a total takedown of my personal opinion of the game as if I would quack in fear at Digital Foundry stating obvious things.

And now your big rebuttal is, basically, nutuh, the game isn't boring and generic in your opinion? Sure, fine, state that all you want. But don't bitch at me when you can't think past your personal like of the game, which is fine, just fucking say that. I LIKE GAME!!! GAME GOOD BECAUSE I LIKE!!! and the chicken heads here and on reddit will all nod and validate you.

And now, because you're a fucking ADHD spazz who couldn't ignore someone just posting their dislike of the game and couldn't provide a coherent counter... now suddenly durr durr cliche about show us where on the doll they touched you.

I was fine just sharing my opinion like everyone else on the game. Why wasn't that acceptable to you?

Actually, wait, are you actually retarded and just can't comprehend shit? For instance, I brought up Elden Ring as an example of a game studio trying something very new and evolving when they had plenty of loyal fans who would have been more than happy with a new iteration of the same old thing.... and your response to that is Elden Ring is a different game than a Bethesda game. Now, again, please understand I'm not comparing the games, but the different actions of the studios. So, don't say something dumb like "but they ARE way different games" and prove you can't comprehend basic English.

And I'm sorry for joking about ADHD spazztards since it's highly likely you have it and are probably on medication for it and that's why you can't actually think clearly. Funny how it works, used to be you just had to think harder, but now with meds you get to just be retarder, thinking you're all better, but you're not. In fact, I have a theory that gamers fixated on games like EQ (both playing and making) because of the power of ADHD, but now that everyone is blunted with meds there's nobody obsessing over anything in the gaming industry anymore, which is why it just turns into a revolving door of hype cycles.

Anyhow, sorry about your mental health issues.

• 1Like

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
I say the game feels boring and generic. You retort by pointing out someone else made a point that was apparently very novel to you that Starfield has way more environments than Fallout or ES games, and that didn't at all refute my point I think the setting and game is boring and generic so quipped that more boring and generic isn't really a selling point.

And your response is again some weird appeal to authority that YEAH BUT DIGITAL FOUNDRY. Nobody cares, faggot. I think the game is boring and generic and feels like I was ported back a decade into a game engine and settings that were already getting long in the tooth. You saying some other guys pointed out there are way more environments is at best a tangential, idiotic point not relevant to anything I said, or at worst something you thought was a total takedown of my personal opinion of the game as if I would quack in fear at Digital Foundry stating obvious things.

And now your big rebuttal is, basically, nutuh, the game isn't boring and generic in your opinion? Sure, fine, state that all you want. But don't bitch at me when you can't think past your personal like of the game, which is fine, just fucking say that. I LIKE GAME!!! GAME GOOD BECAUSE I LIKE!!! and the chicken heads here and on reddit will all nod and validate you.

And now, because you're a fucking ADHD spazz who couldn't ignore someone just posting their dislike of the game and couldn't provide a coherent counter... now suddenly durr durr cliche about show us where on the doll they touched you.

I was fine just sharing my opinion like everyone else on the game. Why wasn't that acceptable to you?

Actually, wait, are you actually retarded and just can't comprehend shit? For instance, I brought up Elden Ring as an example of a game studio trying something very new and evolving when they had plenty of loyal fans who would have been more than happy with a new iteration of the same old thing.... and your response to that is Elden Ring is a different game than a Bethesda game. Now, again, please understand I'm not comparing the games, but the different actions of the studios. So, don't say something dumb like "but they ARE way different games" and prove you can't comprehend basic English.

And I'm sorry for joking about ADHD spazztards since it's highly likely you have it and are probably on medication for it and that's why you can't actually think clearly. Funny how it works, used to be you just had to think harder, but now with meds you get to just be retarder, thinking you're all better, but you're not. In fact, I have a theory that gamers fixated on games like EQ (both playing and making) because of the power of ADHD, but now that everyone is blunted with meds there's nobody obsessing over anything in the gaming industry anymore, which is why it just turns into a revolving door of hype cycles.

Anyhow, sorry about your mental health issues.
Yeah, my mental issues. My reading comprehension issues. Nothing you wrote bears anything but a passing semblance to what I wrote but I get it, man. Who has time to read? YOU'RE ANGRY. About what, I am not sure. ELDEN RING TOTALLY NEW AND NOT LIKE OTHER SOULSBORNE GAMES. Got you, bro. You just need some time. Whenever you back off the bit and want to actually read what I wrote, have at it. If it never works for you, all about that as well. Life is too short to go from zero to RETARD in two posts.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I tried getting into this game. Everything is so clunky to do anything. The final straw for me is Alpha Centauri is a single star system. Uninstalled....

Any website that gave this game a 10/10 should be banned from being referenced ever again on this forum. The UI at the very least knocks it down to a 8/10. Quit excusing Bethesda for their shitty UI's.
Yeah I was like, where's Proxima Centauri?

And as others have said, the fast travel ruins the feel of actually being a space game. Might as well be 1000 cities on a single planet. What's the difference really?

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Yeah, my mental issues. My reading comprehension issues. Nothing you wrote bears anything but a passing semblance to what I wrote but I get it, man. Who has time to read? YOU'RE ANGRY. About what, I am not sure. ELDEN RING TOTALLY NEW AND NOT LIKE OTHER SOULSBORNE GAMES. Got you, bro. You just need some time. Whenever you back off the bit and want to actually read what I wrote, have at it. If it never works for you, all about that as well. Life is too short to go from zero to RETARD in two posts.

Ah, the classic accusation the other person in a discussion is just ever so angry. Good one!

You seem so quick to accuse others of strawmen perhaps because it's what you do?

Both times I've mentioned Elden Ring I have very clearly indicated I'm bringing it up as an example of a studio that could have just produced something more formulaic to their expected brand, but instead took chances to try new things that innsome ways went very much against expectations and it paid off greatly.

And now here you are, in all caps, making some weird strawman implying I said something about Elden Ring being "TOTALLY" new or whatever point you're trying to assign to me so you can feel better about yourself?

Life is short, indeed, maybe try working on yourself and get off the meds so you may have a chance to enjoy it, friend.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

You're responding to one of the most retarded posters on the forum, which is saying a lot

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chapell

Trakanon Raider
I can say that if a modder unlocks flying your starship on-planet AND implements being able to find the perfect union of resources on a planet that will be a must-have mod. Right now that's the worst part of outpost building.
60$ DLC* by Bethesda in 1 year.

• 1Tiresome

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Being able to fly in atmosphere would be fun. Do strafing runs on animals, pirates. :p

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Worst bugs I have hit so far is outpost shit:
  • The spawn in point was set under the world, and it didn't seem to matter where I placed it in ring. So I had to put it on top of a building, which now is stuck there and cant move, or it bugs out and floats in the air.
  • When I moved the building with the spawn point on top of it, it moved the area of the outpost (build ring), and one of my He3 mines is now out of range, yet still drawing power.
  • After doing a few quests and loading back to the outpost, the He3 just totally disappeared. I already had it covered with mines, and they still work, even though there is no He3 in my base now, so I'm not going to reload a save from 1+ hour earlier.

• 1Thoughts & Prayers

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Worst bugs I have hit so far is outpost shit:
  • The spawn in point was set under the world, and it didn't seem to matter where I placed it in ring. So I had to put it on top of a building, which now is stuck there and cant move, or it bugs out and floats in the air.
  • When I moved the building with the spawn point on top of it, it moved the area of the outpost (build ring), and one of my He3 mines is now out of range, yet still drawing power.
  • After doing a few quests and loading back to the outpost, the He3 just totally disappeared. I already had it covered with mines, and they still work, even though there is no He3 in my base now, so I'm not going to reload a save from 1+ hour earlier.

Is the camera was wonky as it is with the ship building?

I want to do my outpost this weekend. Need to find a planet to do it on though, will probably just cheat and look up a good place , instead of trying to inspect 1 by 1.

From what I have read though early, iron, aluminum and He3 are good ones you want. Though it seems the pain the ass comes from trying to find a spot where all resources converge , so you can cover it with 1 base.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Is the camera was wonky as it is with the ship building?

I want to do my outpost this weekend. Need to find a planet to do it on though, will probably just cheat and look up a good place , instead of trying to inspect 1 by 1.

From what I have read though early, iron, aluminum and He3 are good ones you want. Though it seems the pain the ass comes from trying to find a spot where all resources converge , so you can cover it with 1 base.
If you want to cheat this is what I used

There's probably better ways to find it. However, finding the *perfect* outpost location for those three resources isn't as important as it sounds. Moving goods between outposts in the same system is done for free using the link building, and interstellar links are cheaply done with helium3.

I figure that by the time I hit the outpost cap there will be better resources available to help me find optimal outpost locations to maximize resources, if I even care. I don't know what having an absolutely maxed out outpost gives me.

• 1Like