Starfield - Fallout fallout that isn't ES6

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Not possible really. The only way it will suck is if you're tired of the legend tier Bethesda formula.

So cull expectations and accept what it is.

Someone hasn't been paying attention, and it isn't who you were replying too.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I pretty much 100%'d Skyrim and FO4 at release. Even if they had bugs they weren't broken pieces of trash.
Same

also I remember you preaching against save scumming and then using weight mods lmao

• 1Worf
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Same

also I remember you preaching against save scumming and then using weight mods lmao
I don't remember what I was preaching but save scumming is cheating.

I save scum all the time.

I usually add weight / inventory unlock mods after getting my fill of inventory-management suffering. Just done too much damn inventory management in my lifetime of gaming. Shit got old in Rogue

• 2Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Also, purely coincidentally, I learned how to savescum in Rogue when my dad taught me as a kid. Because it's 100% random you basically can only be likely to win if you savescum before opening a new level, explore that new level and save when you finish and then regenerate and replay that level a few times, then select the best save (or stop when you get a decent level). Rogue didn't have savegame slots in the way we used it, so you had to copy and rename files in a DOS prompt. Pretty top-tier hacking for an 8 year old or whatever.

Also my most recent savescumming is in Hogwarts Legacy, which generates chest content on open.

Last edited:

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I don't remember what I was preaching but save scumming is cheating.

I save scum all the time.

I usually add weight / inventory unlock mods after getting my fill of inventory-management suffering. Just done too much damn inventory management in my lifetime of gaming. Shit got old in Rogue

Lol I’m just messing with ya tucobro

But ya it was you versus another about save scumming and it was hilarious.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Lol I’m just messing with ya tucobro

But ya it was you versus another about save scumming and it was hilarious.

I was curious so I looked it up.

How many times do you have to save scum to do that and what's your int?

Looks like it's possible to pick the Idiot Savant perk in FO4 which randomly triples your XP and then savescum until it triggers. Looks like people in that thread got triggered for being told they were cheating. Go ahead and cheat, folks, nobody cares. I cheat so good in singleplayer games. Just don't pretend savescumming isn't cheating.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Savescum is really lame. Rolling with the punches is how you RPG faggots.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Savescum is really lame. Rolling with the punches is how you RPG faggots.
Maybe if you're a poopsock. I'm a filthy fucking casual and savescumming is the only way I can get a sword of 1000 tears.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I was curious so I looked it up.

Looks like it's possible to pick the Idiot Savant perk in FO4 which randomly triples your XP and then savescum until it triggers. Looks like people in that thread got triggered for being told they were cheating. Go ahead and cheat, folks, nobody cares. I cheat so good in singleplayer games. Just don't pretend savescumming isn't cheating.

Ok I remember someone in that thread got super butthurt and said save scumming was cheating and then proceeded to say his use of no weight mods in a game based around inventory management wasn’t cheating.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Autistically reloading so that every dice roll goes in your favor is the lamest kind of cheating lol.

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
eh. while I wouldn't call them unplayable or anything. . 99%of games these days are too buggy to not have save scumming ready. or even when its not outright bugs, its game devs having wacky ideas of logic.

like recently in pillars 2, I saved scummed back like 2 hours to reset Xoti from going full pyscho. now, if I had the option of just killing hte psycho and freeing the souls, I would have kept playing. but it DIDNT give me that option. I would have had just live with her being a lunatic, and the souls trapped.
so, I reset back 2 hours, and changed 1 dialogue option which on the surface anyone would have thought was innocuous.. now, shes only kindof psycho.

or like in skyrim/fallout. how many times did lydia/etc just vanish from following, or get stuck on some shit, and got to save scum to find them?

Save scumming is 100% a developers problem. amusingly, there was a post in the pathfinder reddit doing a long crit on wrath of the righteous today. and it nails the issue with save scumming.

Slavish adherence to systems which don’t belong in a computer game

The encounter design necessitates quick save since you never know when you’re going to stumble into some murder encounter. However, quick save undermines other systems. If you failed to pick a lock you need to come back when you've increased your skills. Disarming a trap comes with the danger of triggering it. Except neither of these things are true because the game has quick save.

The real issue is that there is no reward for failure. Triggering a trap doesn’t lead to some new, interesting outcome, you just take a bunch of damage that will make things harder, and harder in this game usually just means longer. There’s no incentive to let such failures stand and you will save before every trap, every chest, and reload if you fail. There needs to be a better way, either through designing for failure, or switching to a Boolean system.

My favourite example is in WoTR if you fail certain skill checks then time passes. Time passes causes all your buffs to run out. Without those buffs you’re under-powered for the area. This necessitates a rest and then re-buff. Or are you simply going to reload your save from before the skill failure? There’s no reason to accept the failure. In tabletop this means the party has to adapt and the dungeon master adjusts the scenario accordingly, but in a computer game it’s just a waste of your time.

And it's odd, because the game does have some interesting failures. For example, at one point you might choose to renounce a mythic path for another, yet some third-party tries to stop you, leading to a skill check. Pass, and you change path, fail and you stick to your original. Neither route is wrong, so failure is perfectly acceptable and leads to an outcome that is both narratively and mechanically interesting. I want more of that, please.

Thats the problem. in my example, the issue was, the game didnt really LET me play out the xoti problem. it was forcing me to continue along the lines the devs set up. which sucked, and were nonsensical.
In elder scrolls, etc. "failing" to pick locks, nets you more exp then succeeding. kenshi does this too. time freezes while doing it. so thats poor. only cost is wasted picks. kenshi. time passes. npcs move around and can catch you.

like he points out, in wrath, picking locks should probably "take 20", but 10 minutes pass, and theres a stealth check to see if random encounters pass by on a fail.

Last edited:

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Ok I remember someone in that thread got super butthurt and said save scumming was cheating and then proceeded to say his use of no weight mods in a game based around inventory management wasn’t cheating.
Oh, yeah I have no idea about no weight mods. No weight mods is cheating 100% and I've done it in a ton of games. Inventory managmeent is the dumbest mechanic.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
eh. while I wouldn't call them unplayable or anything. . 99%of games these days are too buggy to not have save scumming ready. or even when its not outright bugs, its game devs having wacky ideas of logic.

like recently in pillars 2, I saved scummed back like 2 hours to reset Xoti from going full pyscho. now, if I had the option of just killing hte psycho and freeing the souls, I would have kept playing. but it DIDNT give me that option. I would have had just live with her being a lunatic, and the souls trapped.
so, I reset back 2 hours, and changed 1 dialogue option which on the surface anyone would have thought was innocuous.. now, shes only kindof psycho.

or like in skyrim/fallout. how many times did lydia/etc just vanish from following, or get stuck on some shit, and got to save scum to find them?

Save scumming is 100% a developers problem. amusingly, there was a post in the pathfinder reddit doing a long crit on wrath of the righteous today. and it nails the issue with save scumming.

Thats the problem. in my example, the issue was, the game didnt really LET me play out the xoti problem. it was forcing me to continue along the lines the devs set up. which sucked, and were nonsensical.
In elder scrolls, etc. "failing" to pick locks, nets you more exp then succeeding. kenshi does this too. time freezes while doing it. so thats poor. only cost is wasted picks. kenshi. time passes. npcs move around and can catch you.

like he points out, in wrath, picking locks should probably "take 20", but 10 minutes pass, and theres a stealth check to see if random encounters pass by on a fail.
Savescumming is when you keep loading to win the dice roll on a skill check or something.

Not to get rid of bugs and shit.

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Every modded playthrough of Skyrim I usually add at least a couple thousand to my carry weight, especially if I've added legacy of the dragonborn (which I always do, best mod of all time). There's plenty of other ways to make the game challenging, and picking up a ton of stuff is fun.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Caliane

theres no reason to mod carry weight in skyrim really. dragon bones are the only real thing that matters.

gold is weightless. theres no reason to pick up all the swords, etc. just pick up gold, gems, potions, scrolls, etc.

and, if you really want to just cheese. abuse alch/enchanting to give yourself crazy str, or just be so rich to again, not give a shit about picking anything up.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

Carry weight is the fucking bane of FO76. Like 1/6th my characters perks are for weight reduction and I perma run around in power armor with extra carry weight mods on the legs. They just arbitrarily add too much weight to shit. Like stimpacks or nuka colas weighing 1 lb each by default, etc

Daidraco

Carry weight is the fucking bane of FO76. Like 1/6th my characters perks are for weight reduction and I perma run around in power armor with extra carry weight mods on the legs. They just arbitrarily add too much weight to shit. Like stimpacks or nuka colas weighing 1 lb each by default, etc
Wasnt that shit to discourage cheating or some shit? Or am I just thinking of the storage units? I played FO76 for all of an hour before uninstalling it. Shame, too. cause I usually plays the hell out of the Fall Out series.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Biggest thing that turned me off from FO76 is the ever need for ammo. Back when I played there just wasn't enough of it dropping, so you had to craft it. So you would log in go hunt down some lead ore from some mine, hunt down some steel if you did not have any, acid for the gunpowder BS had to be found, and then you would craft up enough ammo to finally start playing. this was the #1 reason me and my son quit playing this game.

Supposedly there was some ammo crafting machine you could grind out but it was locked away behind some faction type grind with dailies that took about a month of doing them. Yeah, no thanks.

People also sold ammo for about a cap each round, but there was no way to sustain that from day to day using caps.

Cybsled

Yes and no. Carry weight was a thing in Fallout 4 and since 76 was essentially Fallout 4 mechanics, they kept that. The other problem was because 76 was online and because of Bethesda’s spaghetti code, all that individual shit had to be tracked by the server. I recall early on there were issues of hackers dropping bags of like a million bullets or whatever and destabilizing the server. Then of course the stash box they sold with Fallout 1st gave you unlimited junk storage (and now ammo storage as well)