Starfield - Fallout fallout that isn't ES6

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Stop trying to make me day 1 this shit instead of waiting.
Join the party. BGS has been polishing this at Microsoft's direction for over a year now. It's guaranteed to be a complete gaming experience.

arnold-schwarzenegger-lied.gif

• 8Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Moron
Reactions: 9 users

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
I'm just hoping AMD sends out codes or w/e they do to unlock the game for you through their promotions, before the 1st start date. Iirc it opens to pre-load on the 31st.

I'm in the same boat. Though I did end up sending back the 6700 xt I bought as it just wasn't working with my PC.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I still think it's weird that AMD would bother shelling out cash for a Game Pass game. Hell, it's *THE* Game Pass game, at least as far as 2023 is concerned. I know the higher end CPUs/GPUs come with premium, but still...

Went ahead and got the Premium upgrade with MS bucks I had to use by the end of the month. Was thinking I'd have to start on Series X at first because of the NZ trick, but it appears that it's a global release so I guess PC won't be at a disadvantage after all. Cross save will work anyway, at least until the mods start dropping.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
How are gamepass games with modding? They any different than the Steam versions or no difference other than the directories files go in? Just asking since I've never modded a gamepass game.

Vorph

How are gamepass games with modding? They any different than the Steam versions or no difference other than the directories files go in? Just asking since I've never modded a gamepass game.
Normal mods work fine. If/when a script extender (like SKSE64, F4SE, etc.) is released, mods that require it will not work with the Game Pass version.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Normal mods work fine. If/when a script extender (like SKSE64, F4SE, etc.) is released, mods that require it will not work with the Game Pass version.

Ah, thank you. So play the release version for free on Gamepass then and buy it later on a sale on Steam when mods start coming out.

Vorph

Ah, thank you. So play the release version for free on Gamepass then and buy it later on a sale on Steam when mods start coming out.
Yeah, assuming the script extender is actually needed for important mods and not just the usual stuff like "adding new animations"*. F4SE was nowhere near as much of a requirement as SKSE64 was.

* - And by that I mean the inevitable sex mods.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Something interesting about maybe a third of the way through the video, apparently there are derelict spaceships floating around in space that you can go and investigate. That's a pretty cool deal. Also just more general information about the game.

I'm looking forward to it.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

In 2023 I think the most interesting randomized content is still what was created by one Notch in a garage with Java in Minecraft, though the whole crafting system is based on finding biome-specific materials that starts to lose interest once you explore the biomes. Would be very cool if they had 10 devs sweat it out for 4 years creating procedural planets in a way few other game developers would be willing to invest in. But who are we kidding, it's going to be radiant AI all over again and I'm going to love it.

I'm the only person in gaming history that enjoyed the Mass Effect 1 Mako experience. You land on some shithole, explore a few points of interest and get some $$$ you don't need. It was great because the Mako is a tightly controllable machine, capable of enacting precise destruction. I don't know what shithole conquest in Starfield looks like, but if they just yeet you on a ball of icy mud with a Mako I'll be happy.

Silly story: When Oblivion came out my first few Oblivion gates just happened to start kinda small and get bigger and bigger. I came to the conclusion that they were procedurally generated ala Daggerfall dungeons, and each one got bigger and bigger. I remember telling my buddy that if that trend continued the oblivion gates would eclipse Cyrodil.

extrapolating.png

I also thought I accidentally beat the game when I closed the first Kvatch gate because I bumbled my way through that entire sequence and accidentally ran into the Kvatch gate with zero storyline progression. It was super confusing and not even that different looking from the end of Morrowind which was notoriously possible to accidentally beat early on.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>

In 2023 I think the most interesting randomized content is still what was created by one Notch in a garage with Java in Minecraft, though the whole crafting system is based on finding biome-specific materials that starts to lose interest once you explore the biomes. Would be very cool if they had 10 devs sweat it out for 4 years creating procedural planets in a way few other game developers would be willing to invest in. But who are we kidding, it's going to be radiant AI all over again and I'm going to love it.

I'm the only person in gaming history that enjoyed the Mass Effect 1 Mako experience. You land on some shithole, explore a few points of interest and get some $$$ you don't need. It was great because the Mako is a tightly controllable machine, capable of enacting precise destruction. I don't know what shithole conquest in Starfield looks like, but if they just yeet you on a ball of icy mud with a Mako I'll be happy.

Silly story: When Oblivion came out my first few Oblivion gates just happened to start kinda small and get bigger and bigger. I came to the conclusion that they were procedurally generated ala Daggerfall dungeons, and each one got bigger and bigger. I remember telling my buddy that if that trend continued the oblivion gates would eclipse Cyrodil.

extrapolating.png

I also thought I accidentally beat the game when I closed the first Kvatch gate because I bumbled my way through that entire sequence and accidentally ran into the Kvatch gate with zero storyline progression. It was super confusing and not even that different looking from the end of Morrowind which was notoriously possible to accidentally beat early on.
Mass Effect 1 with the Galaxy map and driving around with Mako was amazing; all the hints of previous cycles and older civilizations, and these incredible unseen things in the past gave the galaxy a since of scale. The whole every 50,000 years thing was weirdly short, even on a human scale, in the context of galactic civilizations but other than the weird physics of the Mako, it was so great. Finding the million year old dreadnought? So bad ass.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Mass Effect 1 with the Galaxy map and driving around with Mako was amazing; all the hints of previous cycles and older civilizations, and these incredible unseen things in the past gave the galaxy a since of scale. The whole every 50,000 years thing was weirdly short, even on a human scale, in the context of galactic civilizations but other than the weird physics of the Mako, it was so great. Finding the million year old dreadnought? So bad ass.
It's crazy that 16 years after Mass Effect 1 and 20 years after Freelancer, we're finally getting the first space exploration shooter/space combat sim RPG.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Witless

Trakanon Raider
It's crazy that 16 years after Mass Effect 1 and 20 years after Freelancer, we're finally getting the first space exploration shooter/space combat sim RPG.
Now I’m having flashbacks of sending probes to scan planets in a game called Nomad on an old Commodore.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>

extrapolating.png

I don't have any high hope in whatever Todd says, especially when he uses a phrase like "how can we make them look reasonable". The dude is talking about tilesets like they fucking invented them and this is mindblowing new technique. There are gonna be shit ton of essentially empty planets with generic layouts. This is basically Todd saying "you can climb it" all over again.

• 2Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I don't have any high hope in whatever Todd says, especially when he uses a phrase like "how can we make them look reasonable". The dude is talking about tilesets like they fucking invented them and this is mindblowing new technique. There are gonna be shit ton of essentially empty planets with generic layouts. This is basically Todd saying "you can climb it" all over again.
Yeah, it sounded like the tilesets they used in Daggerfall and Arena from the early 90s.

Drajakur

Molten Core Raider
I can still recall exactly the Mass Effect probe launch sound. Great times.

• 2Like