Starfield - Fallout fallout that isn't ES6

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I was kind of expecting it to be like Kenshi where the cost and rarity of gear mods would scale exponentially, until it got to a point where the only viable way to get the best shit was to build it inhouse. I'm kind of surprised that's not the case in Starfield. (Note that I'm only at beginning outpost stages, so I didn't see that result for myself).
Far as I can tell it's all just bigger and better shit for building bigger and better outposts. Actually I don't think the size of the buildable area actually increases with the skills, so maybe just better. You can definitely produce and store a fuckton more resources though... but why? Resources have abysmal val/wt ratio so there's no point in producing them for anything besides building the next outpost.

Also very hard on this game is a big difference. I was on hard, switched to very hard to see.
I turned on very hard before entering a mission area to see how much effect it had on the loot, then forgot to turn it off. Enemies are definitely spongier, but if you have a strong gun and good armor it's not bad. A lot like Fallout 4 in that regard. Anything below very hard just feels trivial after the first 10 hours or so.

And that's with zero investment in the combat tree so far. My success is all due to this monster of a grendel I found very early on:
grendel.png

I do have 3 points in weapon mods though, all those mods were added after I picked it up.

Also, on an unrelated note... don't go crazy investing in Starship Design early on thinking you're going to be able to make your ship OP with modules. Not only do you need ranks in that skill for the really good shit, you also have to have piloting ranked up for a B/C tier reactor to install them, and the parts themselves are also level locked for some retarded reason. You can't even see the missing stuff until you level up enough so it's way too risky to put more than 1 point into. I can confirm that at around level 25 I definitely saw parts that needed Design 1, but beyond that I'm not sure what the next breakpoint is. Honestly the Mantis ship is so good (because of the engines, basically) if you build it right that even with A tier parts you can destroy damn near anything you come up against.

Last edited:

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Damn nice gun. I don't even use full auto guns but wouldn't mind. Only advanced gun I have so far is the pistol and its just plain oh white quality. Too bad that dissaembler isn't something else, robot enemies are few and far between for me.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
I just had a shocking/jump scare moment on a Constellation member personal story quest:
When you get to Sarah's crashed shuttle, you need to battery; you got to her rescue beacon. Unless you are looking closely, what you don't see are three Stalker creatures who look like rock formations around the battery, tough for me at level 15, highly resistant to my high damage (100/125) ballistic weapons. On the first run, they killed me, first time I had died in ground combat at all on hard, I barely knew I was fighting creatures at all. I survived by booster packing above them and running like hell, and sneaking back up on them from the cliffside distance. More were waiting to ambush on the way down that weren't there previously. Superbly designed encounter. I was shaken not stirred.

Edit: Multiple moments like this in the quest. The rest are easier to see coming though after that first one.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vorph

Damn nice gun. I don't even use full auto guns but wouldn't mind. Only advanced gun I have so far is the pistol and its just plain oh white quality. Too bad that dissaembler isn't something else, robot enemies are few and far between for me.
It's semi-auto. That and High Velocity are the two mods not listed.

And yeah, disassembler could be better, but it's definitely nice when you do come across some bots or turrets. It kills them fast enough that I don't have to spend the big bucks on magshear ammo anymore. Not actually sure how I feel about Handloading either. It makes the damage range massive, basically seems to be something like +/- 0-50% damage on each shot. I assume it's weighted towards higher damage, but I'm not sure it's better than Hitman (+15% dmg while ADS).

Cybsled

Btw, if carry weight is a pain in the ass (it is), if you do the UC Vanguard questline, eventually it brings you to Mars. At one point you have to figure out how to get a guy out of hiding. You're given a few options, but at a bar you go to, a random guy gives you a third option that involves medical research. If you follow the medical research line, eventually you get the recipe for a chem called PickmeUp, which adds like 50 carry weight capacity for 15min and is relatively easy to make.

• 1Like

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Ugh back to just pretending you don't exist after this. Shame on me for being baited by either you idiots.

Not bait at all: what are your thoughts on seeing the moon, thinking it might be cool to check it out.... so you load into the menus and click to land from the UI, and get a loading screen with a picture of fucking Saturn.

Do you feel that is the best use of assets and game/story design, or maybe it's just a little teeny tiny bit low effort.

These lazy fucks couldn't even at least give a loading screen picture of the fucking moon as you're loading onto it.

• 4Like
  • 3Pathetic
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 8 users

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Btw, if carry weight is a pain in the ass (it is), if you do the UC Vanguard questline, eventually it brings you to Mars. At one point you have to figure out how to get a guy out of hiding. You're given a few options, but at a bar you go to, a random guy gives you a third option that involves medical research. If you follow the medical research line, eventually you get the recipe for a chem called PickmeUp, which adds like 50 carry weight capacity for 15min and is relatively easy to make.

Literally just did this part of the quest. Thanks!

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Now with a ship that has 2k+ storage and full weight lifting, with other stuff. its not a huge bother as it was, still annoying though.

Will see how it goes after outpost building this weekend and moving resources around.

Since atm I basically dump all resources into the infinite storage at the lodge.

MightyMadman

Lord Nagafen Raider
So how is it, as a fallout fan it does look good but not great. I'm hearing streamers dislike it, YouTuber like it; but what do y'all thinking about it

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I just used a console command. I fucking love picking everything up and keeping too much junk and the weight shit is fucked.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Otto

I just used a console command. I fucking love picking everything up and keeping too much junk and the weight shit is fucked.
That's what I do in every Bethesda game after my first playthrough. If it's not nailed down I'm picking it up. Fallout 4 was so relaxing just roaming around collecting every little item then going back to build my settlement with restrictions disabled.

Vorph

I've got the Mantis set up with just one cargo unit plus the Stroud cockpit, so it's a bit less than 500 units total. It's also so light and fast that just the two high end engines are enough to max out speed and maneuverability for only 4 energy.

Then I turned the Frontier into a ridiculous looking barge with 10480 storage. It can barely even move, and I didn't bother putting weapons on it at all.

The home ship thing is simultaneously annoying and easy to exploit. You can load up the barge with a ton of shit, then switch to the fast one and it will transfer everything into overflow. Downside is you can't loot anything more from space combat, unless you take all of it into your own inventory and overload yourself instead. Which in turn means you probably don't want to board ships, just destroy them. When it's time to clean up the mess, fast travel and land right at the Lodge, then dump everything into the bottomless pit of a safe in your room.

That's what I do in every Bethesda game after my first playthrough. If it's not nailed down I'm picking it up. Fallout 4 was so relaxing just roaming around collecting every little item then going back to build my settlement with restrictions disabled.
In Fallout 4 there was a reason for that at least, since you could break everything down into something useful for building. Here it's just clutter, and I'd much rather use the mod that makes 80% of the items in the game unable to be picked up. Even the stuff that has some value for selling should be picked over carefully, since vendors have so little money and waiting on a bench to restock them is too tedious to bother with for anything but contraband. It shouldn't take too long to realize you have more money than you'll ever spend just from grabbing the stuff with the absolute highest val/wt ratio and then you can forget about all that shit.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Cybsled

These lazy fucks couldn't even at least give a loading screen picture of the fucking moon as you're loading onto it.

You can actually make your own loading screens. Any pictures you take in photo mode will become loading screens - they did the same thing in Fallout 76

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You can actually make your own loading screens. Any pictures you take in photo mode will become loading screens - they did the same thing in Fallout 76

Damn I had no idea about this, I never bothered with 76. Now I will have to actually use that photo mode in the scanner.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Anyone not trying to rationalize a preorder actually think this game is any good?

Yeah I really like it. 10 hours in. I like some of the side quests and like the main quest so far. I like some of the atmosphere on the ground and some faction quest lines. The museum explaining the background of the entire game world backdrop was cool and way better than reading cards/lore on a website. Space flight is arcade style but I knew that was coming and glad they actually cleaned it up a bit. I just targeted some engines of a ship and docked on it and saved a guy. Got some radio message a bunch of colonists just disappeared and I should go see what happened (lol aliens)….

I’m just pretty much just having fun with all the things I can do so far. Debt collector for a bank, corporate operative, bounty Hunter, main quest, build an outpost, try building a cool spaceship, help some dude figure out what the hell is going on with some trees, that brown out quest, etc. just a lot of cool side stories and such going on.

And, finally, shooting in a Bethesda game isn’t complete dogshit where you are pretty much forced to use VATS which was made because the shooting sucks. It isn’t Destiny 2 but it’s better.

Could use 60 fps on series X but the game looks pretty sweet on an OLED C1 4K. 1440p 3700x/2070 super runs it at 40-45 fps on high though it’s cool to be able to use play anywhere.

HDR isn’t broken it was just disguised and never designed for so that always pisses me off but Dolby Vision overlay helps a tad even though it should be 300% better.

Anyway, yeah having a lot of fun with it so far.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users