Starfield - Fallout fallout that isn't ES6

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I've not run into a single NPC bug in the entirety of my ~50 hours or really bugs at all though ofc I know it exists from vids/ss. Crazy how much disparity there is from system to system.
it's a confirmed skill issue. Doesn't happen to me either.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Cybsled

Finally finished the UC Vanguard questline - during one mission, you get completely pimped out in legendary gear and they give you a minigun to go fight aliens. You then have some choices to make after you find some interesting evidence. Final rewards are vendor discounts for the UC and a bunch of credits and you get the best house in the game - a MASSIVE penthouse suite in New Atlantis that has an awesome view of the city and planet that you can decorate. Thing has multiple balconies and lots of rooms. And the house is free, which makes the dream house trait kind of dumb lol

For those that haven't done the quest, at some point you're asked by the government to keep a secret. There are benefits to not fucking up your ultra high security clearance. Spoilers

If you keep the secret and agree to pin the attack on Orlase alone, you open up a secret Vae Victus questline where he sends you out to execute war criminals. If you divulge he is alive and/or responsible for the attacks, then he gets executed by the government and you lose out on the questlines. As far as I can tell, I haven't seen any downsides yet to becoming complicit in Vae Victus' plot

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
just got hit with the same disappearing resources bug someone else talked about earlier. I just planted these titanium miners, got a decent chunk shipped off, then it stopped. I went to this outpost and the vein they were mining has disappeared. The entire reason I went to this planet was for Titanium, but luckily this area has two veins (which might be related...)

below are my three titanium miners on top of nothing, and the vein on the top right.

1694318082002.png

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Haha, a bunch of resources on that outpost got shuffled. I went from having half a tungstein vein (which was enough) to having 4 tungsten veins...

velk

Trakanon Raider
Ok, after spending a few hours fucking around trying to create a good base, the outpost placement system is twice-pooped dogshit. You can't see outpost location or radius in scanner mode and you can't see resource locations in outpost placement mode ? What is this shit.

I highly recommend anyone wanting to save their sanity add this to starfieldcustom.ini - it makes the resource veins visible at a reasonable distance so you don't need to play the world's most retarded game of battleship when trying to properly position an outpost.

[ResourceVeins]
fResourceDecalRenderDistance=4000.0
fResourceDecalRenderDistanceFalloff=4000.0
fResourceDecalRenderRadiusFalloffPct=10
fResourceDecalRenderRadiusPct=10

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Ok, after spending a few hours fucking around trying to create a good base, the outpost placement system is twice-pooped dogshit. You can't see outpost location or radius in scanner mode and you can't see resource locations in outpost placement mode ? What is this shit.

I highly recommend anyone wanting to save their sanity add this to starfieldcustom.ini - it makes the resource veins visible at a reasonable distance so you don't need to play the world's most retarded game of battleship when trying to properly position an outpost.

[ResourceVeins]
fResourceDecalRenderDistance=4000.0
fResourceDecalRenderDistanceFalloff=4000.0
fResourceDecalRenderRadiusFalloffPct=10
fResourceDecalRenderRadiusPct=10
flying around in your ship looking for the perfect place for an outpost would be a lot of fun. How they didn't implement this I don't know.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
my main production outpost so far. I've got one container per material. Fully automating is impossible as far as I can tell. But you can manually stuff materials into the containers and if everything is linked correctly all the derivative products will be produced. I doubt this is more efficient than just going on shopping sprees for everything you need but whatever. The factory must grow.

The raw solids are organized alphabetically (There are 26 stacked side by side). A is on the left and has 8 different items. I think S has the second most at 7.

The off-world outposts have one Inter-System Cargo link per resource. I don't have many set up. I can request goods by linking the cargo links, then when I hve enough I remove that link and put the resources into the right bin. This outpost produces helium3, alum, beryl and iron. My other outposts produce copper, nickel, tungsten, titanium, cobalt. I haven't really gotten organic materials squared away yet.

1694319377727.png

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I've not run into a single NPC bug in the entirety of my ~50 hours or really bugs at all though ofc I know it exists from vids/ss. Crazy how much disparity there is from system to system.
It happens somewhat frequently.

Sarah having to return to her home planet because her people need her;

8.jpg

Sarah not needing a seat to sit;

9.jpg

Sarah wanting to use me as a seat;

10.jpg

Araysar Araysar cucked in the 24th century;

11.jpg

• 7Worf
  • 2Like
  • 2Double Worf
Reactions: 10 users

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
just got hit with the same disappearing resources bug someone else talked about earlier. I just planted these titanium miners, got a decent chunk shipped off, then it stopped. I went to this outpost and the vein they were mining has disappeared. The entire reason I went to this planet was for Titanium, but luckily this area has two veins (which might be related...)

below are my three titanium miners on top of nothing, and the vein on the top right.

View attachment 490047
My He3 reappeared after being gone for a day, so don't be surprised if it rearranges itself back to the original settings...weird bug, that.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Bethesda, at least of this genre, have always been janky as shit with weak combat and questionable design decisions. Fallout 3 and 4 managed to keep enough of the quirk and humor of the IP and the big three Elder Scrolls games had interesting and engaging writing and production even if the direct storylines weren't great at all times.

The saving grace that made the jankiness worth it was the games generally had good writing and a lot of character and soul, for lack of more objection terms.

Starfield so far is all the jank and very little of the interesting world or good writing. It's soulless. The few attempts at jokes so far have been so obvious and groan worthy even a dialog response was to tell the NPC you're groaning at his attempted joke.

It's just a flat, soulless game that feels nothing like the best of Bethesda in this genre. It's like the game was made by AI that was too obviously programmed but the humourless blue hairs that infest the industry.

But now suddenly to defend this abomination the argument is going to be that the best of Bethesda rpg worlds isn't the writing that helped make them quirky and interesting and have soul? Or are you just limited enough you think writing is only the literal words of the main story so that's the windmill you're going to throw a strawman against.

If you have a substantive point to make on the subject I'd love to hear it.
Have you not been reading?

It's the buggy nature of the game that makes it "quirky." And the fact that modders have to fix the game. That's what makes a Bethesda game "fun."

Personally, I didn't like any of the Bethesda Fallout games. Give me Fallout 2 over that garbage.

• 6Like
  • 2Salty
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 10 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I'd say that a space enthusiast would enjoy Starfield because you get to explore planets / moons in a semi-realistic universe. That was one of my favorite parts of Mass Effect 1. One of the things I kind of miss is that in Starfield there aren't verbose descriptions of the planets that expand the game's lore. I loved the variety of these in Mass Effect 1, where some were really interesting snippets of SciFi, ex:

I remember one planet that was absolutely perfect for human colonization except that it was completely covered by thimble-sized bacteria that were very fatal to humans. Starfield having these kinds of descriptions that match the underlying planet would do a lot to add depth to planet exploration.

Which game is that from? Did they ever show / tell you what the megastructures were?

Even if not, it's pretty crazy how many interesting lore-only worlds there were in ME1 and 2. Just an incredible couple of games with a lot of imagination.

I feel like imagination is lacking in a lot of newer games to say the least, like Starfield here. In a post-Elden Ring world, Fromsoft has basically dunked on every other developer that coasts on low-effort success-riding.

In any case... Better space exploring game: Starfield or the current version of No Man's Sky?

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I played the first 35 minutes or so and wasn't feeling it (granted, got some RL stuff that's knockin' around in my head so that had an effect), and refunded. I'll likely approach it again at some point in the future, but that opening was just a huge bunch of meh.

I think they should have opened up ON a starship, possibly in the midst of an awesome discovery. The opening scene being you in a cockpit chair looking out the viewport at some wonder would have been pretty great, would definitely have hooked me.

Instead, I was blasting beryllium and passing out from touching something. Oh and my boss was a chick, as fucking usual. There was something about her ordering around all the men who were mining that really bothered me.

Sounds like a Woke Gulag.

Starting with something awe-inspiring is definitely the way to go. I love Mass Effect (well, 1 and 2) and I love Fallout (well, 3 and NV) so I was pretty stoked at the idea of this game. Been given so much pause though. Doesn't help that I don't have time for it anyway (I say as I spend 2 days off tooling around with Dark Souls 1).

I guess this is also a "maybe later" for me.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Sounds like a Woke Gulag.

Starting with something awe-inspiring is definitely the way to go. I love Mass Effect (well, 1 and 2) and I love Fallout (well, 3 and NV) so I was pretty stoked at the idea of this game. Been given so much pause though. Doesn't help that I don't have time for it anyway (I say as I spend 2 days off tooling around with Dark Souls 1).

I guess this is also a "maybe later" for me.
Heh, a simple job was a woke gulag. Never change, Rajaah.

Last edited:
  • 3Worf
  • 1Faggotry
Reactions: 3 users