Starfield - Fallout fallout that isn't ES6

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Jesus that's huge. What level are you?

I just finally got a Falcata to land at level 26, and of course it pales in comparison to the Narwhal. However, I'm going to use it for all of my ship builder leveling up/unique parts thing because until I know wtf I'm doing I'll practice on the Camaro so I don't fuck up my Ferrari.

I'm only level 24. Been spending too much time dicking around trying to steal ships. My main ship has some upgrades and keeps being better than stuff I steal, and not hurting for credits, but I find the discovery of finding random ships and exploring them more fun than most aspects of the game.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I'm only level 24. Been spending too much time dicking around trying to steal ships. My main ship has some upgrades and keeps being better than stuff I steal, and not hurting for credits, but I find the discovery of finding random ships and exploring them more fun than most aspects of the game.
That's exactly how I feel. Even when doing quests I still save whenever I land somewhere new and try out a few landings. Seeing a massive ship coming down out of the sky is always exciting. Until it is a letdown because it isn't new, but I still get that momentary rush seeing something I hope is new. I almost didn't go for the Falcata because I thought I recognized the back end as a different ship.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Whose galaxy brained idea was it to have hostiles immediately attack you as soon as you jump into a system AND have your shields always power down after a jump?

Mainlined the story and finished it just now. Approx 28 hours for me (did a bunch of side content early one).

The main story got interesting for a bit there, but I kind of hate the direction they took with it. I'm sure some people will enjoy it, but personally I can't stand multiverse nonsense. Overall, I'm mostly disappointed with just how safe the story it is at every turn, especially in regard to anything political or religious. I wish they had created their own unique fantasy setting instead of loosely basing it on our history/universe.

Oh, well. They did a competent job with the looter/shooter aspect (except the insane weight limits even with perks) of the game and some of the main missions were quite enjoyable, but it's probably a 6/10 for me. The whole "getting around" aspect of the game is just so unbelievably poorly executed that I am in still in disbelief that they were comfortable launching a space exploration game in this state. I'm basically in agreement with this guy's take:

Def agree the dozens and dozens of systems with "thousands" of worlds was the wrong approach. They should have limited the game to a single system with a few dozen crafted worlds to explore.

So much time wasted connecting dots to get to a world.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

velk

Trakanon Raider
Decided to push through to NG+ - so... many... bugs.... and people called bg3 act3 unpolished geez.

Who doesn't love spending hours running around in circles trying to find a key before giving up and checking google - 'oh yeah, sometimes that key doesn't spawn, change difficulty, quicksave, quickload, log out, log in, change difficulty and it might spawn'

Also quite fond of 'oh yeah, that keycard drops off one of the enemies, but sometimes he teleports off the map, just load an earlier save and do the whole thing again'

Or 'yeah that key won't spawn until you kill all the enemies, sometimes they don't spawn if you move too quickly, go back to the start and walk slowly through the whole thing'

The final insult being the uncurable frostbite and hypthermia following me into NG+ lol.

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Decided to push through to NG+ - so... many... bugs.... and people called bg3 act3 unpolished geez.

Who doesn't love spending hours running around in circles trying to find a key before giving up and checking google - 'oh yeah, sometimes that key doesn't spawn, change difficulty, quicksave, quickload, log out, log in, change difficulty and it might spawn'

Also quite fond of 'oh yeah, that keycard drops off one of the enemies, but sometimes he teleports off the map, just load an earlier save and do the whole thing again'

Or 'yeah that key won't spawn until you kill all the enemies, sometimes they don't spawn if you move too quickly, go back to the start and walk slowly through the whole thing'

The final insult being the uncurable frostbite and hypthermia following me into NG+ lol.
I got the uncurable cold weather warning through most of the first universe. Didn't follow me into NG+ thankfully.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The main story got interesting for a bit there, but I kind of hate the direction they took with it. I'm sure some people will enjoy it, but personally I can't stand multiverse nonsense. Overall, I'm mostly disappointed with just how safe the story it is at every turn, especially in regard to anything political or religious. I wish they had created their own unique fantasy setting instead of loosely basing it on our history/universe.
I'm still trying to feel out how I like the multiverse stuff. It's an idea explored wayyyy too much in the recent MCU, and NG+ as a concept is nothing new, but I've never seen a game so thoroughly embrace multiverse as part of its lore. In that respect I can respect BGS doing something new and rather brave, but I don't know if it'll pay off. In previous BGS games I'd pretty much clear the map as best I could and get some satisfaction of seeing *everything*. Doing so in Starfield is infeasible because of the planets and randomization, but it's also less meaningful because of the multiverse.

The point about there being too many planets is a good one. Exploring a planet without a quest or intent feels foolish because even if you have an interesting POI, the odds are good it'll result in an unsatisfactory adventure. Last night I explored an abandoned Mech Facility or something because I was hoping to see something cool, but it was pretty boring and didn't have an underground facility or mech fight or new tech or anything. Just a pile of busted mech pieces and a dozen spacers. It doesn't feel like I can pick a random planet, land and have an adventure in the same way you could in Skyrim or Fallout, because the depth of each POI is too shallow.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I'm still trying to feel out how I like the multiverse stuff. It's an idea explored wayyyy too much in the recent MCU, and NG+ as a concept is nothing new, but I've never seen a game so thoroughly embrace multiverse as part of its lore. In that respect I can respect BGS doing something new and rather brave, but I don't know if it'll pay off. In previous BGS games I'd pretty much clear the map as best I could and get some satisfaction of seeing *everything*. Doing so in Starfield is infeasible because of the planets and randomization, but it's also less meaningful because of the multiverse.

The point about there being too many planets is a good one. Exploring a planet without a quest or intent feels foolish because even if you have an interesting POI, the odds are good it'll result in an unsatisfactory adventure. Last night I explored an abandoned Mech Facility or something because I was hoping to see something cool, but it was pretty boring and didn't have an underground facility or mech fight or new tech or anything. Just a pile of busted mech pieces and a dozen spacers. It doesn't feel like I can pick a random planet, land and have an adventure in the same way you could in Skyrim or Fallout, because the depth of each POI is too shallow.
It doesn't help that one of the main things you'd want to do in NG+ to improve your character is dreadfully boring and you'd need to do something like 250 versions of that same boring thing to max out.

• 2Like

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
While I love the game and have put around 125hours in it, I am giving up until stuff is fixed.

Right now, I have the main quest and 7 quests in my journal. All 7 are bugged and cannot be completed. So the only left that works is the main quest.

I tried my hand at outpost building only to crash 5 times in a row trying to "zone in" my outpost. Also had a bug where in the build mode, I could select switch the item to build. It was stuck on the same item, so I could not actually build anything. I reloaded twice and it was the same thing. So I just reloaded to a previous save without the outpost and things were fine. I saved and gave up.

It's sad because I was truly enjoying myself, being under Microsoft improved the number of bugs, but fact remains it's a Beteshda game and won't be stable until a year from now, and modders fix most the stuff.

I mean seriously, one the bug quest is the Freestar Rangers...one of the main faction and it cannot be completed. As far as I know it's because I ran the Red Mile before doing this quest, since at the point I have to run the Red Mile for the Freestar Ranger the npc basically updated my quest and then went on a long speech that implied I had run the Red Mile but didn't update my quest status. So it's still waiting for her to start the race. That's fucking basic, it's like one of the major quest in the game.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

DickTrickle

While I love the game and have put around 125hours in it, I am giving up until stuff is fixed.

Right now, I have the main quest and 7 quests in my journal. All 7 are bugged and cannot be completed. So the only left that works is the main quest.

I tried my hand at outpost building only to crash 5 times in a row trying to "zone in" my outpost. Also had a bug where in the build mode, I could select switch the item to build. It was stuck on the same item, so I could not actually build anything. I reloaded twice and it was the same thing. So I just reloaded to a previous save without the outpost and things were fine. I saved and gave up.

It's sad because I was truly enjoying myself, being under Microsoft improved the number of bugs, but fact remains it's a Beteshda game and won't be stable until a year from now, and modders fix most the stuff.

I mean seriously, one the bug quest is the Freestar Rangers...one of the main faction and it cannot be completed. As far as I know it's because I ran the Red Mile before doing this quest, since at the point I have to run the Red Mile for the Freestar Ranger the npc basically updated my quest and then went on a long speech that implied I had run the Red Mile but didn't update my quest status. So it's still waiting for her to start the race. That's fucking basic, it's like one of the major quest in the game.
Are you on PC or XBox?

Just curious because I've played as much or more than you and haven't come across any quest bugs that I remember. I even did the Red Mile before doing the Freestar Rangers and didn't have issues.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
I had an issue with that same quest in Red Mile during the ranger questline. I had to let the chick in charge of the event finish a conversation she was about to start with another npc first. Like if I interrupted her script before she finished her convo the ranger quest wouldn't start.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Are you on PC or XBox?

Just curious because I've played as much or more than you and haven't come across any quest bugs that I remember. I even did the Red Mile before doing the Freestar Rangers and didn't have issues.

I’m on the Xbox.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I had an issue with that same quest in Red Mile during the ranger questline. I had to let the chick in charge of the event finish a conversation she was about to start with another npc first. Like if I interrupted her script before she finished her convo the ranger quest wouldn't start.
One of my saves got wrecked by this bug. Sarah had some convo with Walter in the Lodge that if I exited the Lodge before she finished my entire screen would be frozen. This was true when using the door or fast traveling away.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I had the same issue because it put the spawn point under the world. I had to land/zone in at the original landing point outside the base then run in. Then it allowed me to move the spawn point to the top of a building.

You spawn next to the tower you place, when setting down the outpost, and you can then move it to any spot in the ring, once you originally set it down.

Now I cant move the spawn point w/o it being 10 foot in the air, but it doesn't spawn under the world and freeze up/crash. Not that I used the base for much of anything outside of the workbenches and storage, after getting it set up.

Last edited:

DickTrickle

1695050681923.png

Not the way I'd prefer to die.

• 2Worf

Zefah

<Gold Donor>

Yeah, I probably visited around 20 planets outside of the main story missions and checked out their POIs. They were all basically just the same procedurally generated garbage wastelands with a different skin and visual style, but otherwise the same. All of the POIs were all just about the same, too. Basically you get a cave or a military base or research facility (all made from the same prefab parts and roooms). Nothing interesting to be found but maybe a few enemies and a bunch of useless loot. The exploration aspect of this game is just insulting and a massive downgrade from their previous games. At the same time, it's also far worse than No Man's Sky, because the landscapes that are procedurally generated are just boring in comparison and traversal is just frustrating (cutscene, map, loading, cutscene, loading, map, loading, over and over again).

Regarding the main story and its conclusion, I do think it's clever how they tied the multiverse stuff into the NG+ cycle, but I don't think it was worth it, because it ultimately makes everything feel meaningless. That's the problem of anything multiverse and why I hate it so much. It always feels meaningless and like the writers just want to smell their own farts. Those farts reek of Reddit and fedoras.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I've decided to avoid this game for a year or so until it's had time to ripen, but you guys aren't making it easy.

It's like meeting a fun girl at the bar who will probably suck your dick like it's the last otter pop, but is a chubby 6/10. How horny are you is the question. And how embarrassed are you going to be when you're the one that gets attached enough to go out with her and be seen by friends.

Problem is Starfield itself will be the something better that comes along once it's patched and modded and you might be sick of her shit by then. And the blowjobs don't last forever.