Stargate: Origins

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Ladro

Anomaly
Yeah. I watched all 200ish SG1 episodes 10 years ago (took me like 2 years to finish) but it is definitely one of my favorites. Love the campy sci-fi that seems to be gone these days. SG:A was also great, even SG:U felt like it was going to have legs, still not sure why it got shit canned.

This looks like absolute fucking garbage compared to what came before. It has to be license related, there’s no way anyone thought this was going to be good and would drive viewership.

spronk

FPS noob
pretty sure MGM just straight up owns the license to Stargate, this series was created to launch their new streaming service and I guess they decided spending $200 to make it was good enough

joz123

Potato del Grande
pretty sure MGM just straight up owns the license to Stargate, this series was created to launch their new streaming service and I guess they decided spending $200 to make it was good enough
I doubt they paid anything to make it. If anything they told all the actors they get "free exposure" or some shit instead of actual money.

Goatface

i had no idea it was still going
Stargate Command To Close In December
The Stargate franchise’s official streaming platform “Stargate Command” is closing up shop at the end of this year,
MGM is shuttering its online streaming platform for the Stargate film and TV franchise, two years after its launch.

Cybsled

Not surprising. The SG:Origins mini series was pretty meh and they never really followed up with anything else to keep people enticed.

joz123

Potato del Grande
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 1 user

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I honestly would not care for a Syfy series, they'd need to sell to a streaming service for it to have a chance.

• 1Like

Goatface

syfy could barely afford SG when the budgets were $1m to $2m and they had viewers. their top show last year didn't even get half as many as SG at its lowest.
would think Amazon would be the best place for it.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Problem is that it wouldn't be a procedural series. It would be forced to be a serial like every show these days. You lose a lot of the strength of the series concept when it isn't just a variety of shit happening.

Cybsled

Potentially. They would also have to find an angle.

1) Earth is super powerful by the end of SG1 and Atlantis. You either make a threat that matches that (not the fucking Lucien Alliance, the pilot to SGU was fucking dumb when a bunch of standard Gouald motherships are beating the shit out of an Earth vessel that has Asgard shields and beam weapons) or you are forced to remove or nerf their toys (permanently or temporarily...like maybe a Replicator-like threat where the Asgard couldn't defeat them and it took low-tech to kick their ass in standard engagements).

2) You also want to avoid dredging up past foes that were already defeated

The only major threat that wasn't completely destroyed was The Wraith. You also have those "evil" Asgard in Pegasus and in theory those humanoid replicators are still around floating in the depths of space after repli-Wier tricked them into stepping into a Stargate that opened up in deep space.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Whatever they do, I hope they don't go gritty. I only every watched bits and pieces of SGU, and it seemed too dark and serious. Half the appeal of SG1 and SGA was that they laughed at themselves. SG1 really took off when it abandoned the movie's serious tone and became more fun and light-hearted.

Div

Silver Knight of the Realm
Man I would love a new SG series. I pretty much rewatch SG1 and SG:A constantly. It's my "shut off the brain" background noise TV show.

• 1Solidarity

Cybsled

Whatever they do, I hope they don't go gritty. I only every watched bits and pieces of SGU, and it seemed too dark and serious. Half the appeal of SG1 and SGA was that they laughed at themselves. SG1 really took off when it abandoned the movie's serious tone and became more fun and light-hearted.

SGU started to get a bit better when they realized they aren't Battlestar Galactica and they lightened up a bit. It also (plot wise) was getting more interesting just prior to cancelation. It's rough for Sci-fi shows now. A show like ST: Enterprise probably would have gotten the standard 7 season order...instead, it was killed just as it was finding its stride.

Goatface

my guess is the pitch is going to be the ship reached a new galaxy, they set up a base and find a gate and open portal back home.

got bored looked up some of the main casts

1600105823675.jpeg

Cybsled

Probably a solid bet and good way to "clear the table". Basically make it like an extreme version of Atlantis, where they now have a new galaxy to explore.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The stargate itself is a good tech bloat limiter since you can't cram capital ships through it to the other side of the universe.

• 1Like