StarOcean 5 : Integrity and Faithlessness

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Fucking Steelbook Case 100% worth it all the In Game DLC stuff will be worthless after a few hours into the game like Pyros said..

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Despite my expectations being dropped, I'm still going to 100% everything including the battle trophies just like SO4
smile.png

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Yeah I said fuck it an pre-ordered this. In the mood for a traditional JRPG and 25-30 hours of length is fine for me.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
GameFly shipped it out for me today.

The length doesn't bother me either. I just hope that the story is better this time, and there's no characters so ungodly annoying as Lymle, her pedo stalker, or Welch.

turbo

Molten Core Raider
GameFly shipped it out for me today.

The length doesn't bother me either. I just hope that the story is better this time, and there's no characters so ungodly annoying as Lymle, her pedo stalker, or Welch.
I played the first ever SO and was so/so on it and never played any since. Is this one have choices of who you put in group with characters who actually have different skills/progression and is there typically indepth character progression/decisions? I just can't seem to even remotely begin to enjoy games that I have to use SET people without some form of choice of who nor games that don't have character progression decisions (skills more so then just raw stat choice on lvl up). Man i've gotten so god damn picky in my games anymore i just waste so much money on games praying for that itch to be scratched but coming up lame. Kind of was excited about Grand Kingdoms and then fucking my router switched IP's to a banned IP that took us 4 dayt to figure out so i was behind so much I lost interest since i hate joining late on shit when there is competitive play even if it is light.

So...meh. Still have Stranger of Sword City i'm playing on PC (NIS game that is kind of fun and decent character progression to an extent), Grand Kingdom and Total Warhammer which is pretty decent game but I'm to annual rentative about losing fights so i always rage quit when i lose a fight.

And all that was irrelevant, umm ya!

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
There is levels but they really mean nothing, it's just more HP/GRD/HIT/MP, Skills can be leveled via CP points, it seems in this one they really improved upon the AI of the Console controlled characters there are now "job" levels that you can setup with each one having a different kind of AI and jobs can be mix matched too further customize, but there is 1 character you have no control over. 7 characters on the battle field at once is gonna be fun
biggrin.png

And just checked my CE shipped Thursday should be here tomorrow.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I wouldn't say bad, but mediocre according to metacritic (60 critic, 7.6 user).

Game looks to have some tech issues?
No. Bad. Here is a 5/10 from Gamespot.

Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness Review - GameSpot

THE GOOD
Battles are beautiful to watch and fun to execute
Combat roles and skills systems offer an enjoyable layer of strategy
THE BAD
Shallow, cliched characters
World feels empty
Uninspired missions
Audio and visual mishaps yank you from the experience

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
No. Bad. Here is a 5/10 from Gamespot.

Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness Review - GameSpot

THE GOOD
Battles are beautiful to watch and fun to execute
THE BAD
Shallow, cliched characters
World feels empty
Uninspired missions
Audio and visual mishaps yank you from the experience

Sadly doesn't sound like this is the case either

Guy reviewing the Japanese version. From 3ish minutes in until 6.30 he talks about the combat. The distance attacks and the combos/chains that can be achieved by cancels and such.

It sounds good in theory, but apparently in game the strong attack cancels itself, letting you build up a max multiplier by using the same attack over and over. He said that from 4 hours in to completing the game + side missions, you basically spam the same attack. Using the system as intended will look more spectacular, but drastically reduce your damage output compared to just spamming your strongest skill.

Vorph

Hopefully tri-Ace's next game (Exist Archive, coming west in October) turns out better, especially since making a spiritual successor to Valkyrie Profile is far bigger shoes to fill than a Star Ocean sequel.

The Bilinguist dude did a review of it and was pretty positive about the game, contrary to his opinions of SO5 above.

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord
Not sure what to think or whether to buy. Western obsession with sandboxy wrpgs has coincided with an escalating, reflexive hostility to jrpgs and makes it difficult to take reviews seriously. Otoh, a lot of people who DO like and enjoy jrpgs are saying it's shit, yet others are claiming the people dismissing it are merely disappointed that it isn't SO3-2, that the game is fine, merely different from its forbears, and a 25 hour jrpg isn't the end of the world.

RR bros never let me down in times of need. Lemme know!

Vorph

It's weird. Used to be you could be pretty safe in saying that if the Japanese don't even like a JRPG it's probably shit. Except Japan didn't like this or TMS #FE much, but in the west SO5 is getting even worse reviews, while TMS is getting much better ones.

Games like this are why I keep the GameFly sub running. No way I'd pay $48 for it, but I'll give it 20-30 hours of my time unless Lymle 2.0 is as unbearable as the original.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, #FE reviewing well here surprised me since that game bombed in Japan. SO5 didn't review well over there either but I was expecting more 7s, not 5s
frown.png

Still waiting for my copy, not sure if I will return it either or not. Anyone have experience returning shit to Amazon? Part of me is just saying fuck it and enjoying it for what it is.