Starsector (formerly Starfarer)

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The scenarios do a good job of giving you challenges to learn how to pilot.

Or, you can use the "simulation" from the fleet drydock, to practice flying ships without any penalties.
what the hell this is in java? no wonder shit crashes on starting a new game.

Code:
78756 [Thread-3] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.NullPointerException
    at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.CampaignState.getZoomFactor(Unknown Source)
    at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.fleet.CampaignFleetMemberView.renderWeapons(Unknown Source)
    at com.fs.starfarer.ui.oOOO.OoOO.o00000(Unknown Source)
    at com.fs.starfarer.ui.oOOO.OoOO.Ò00000(Unknown Source)
    at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.ui.String.super(Unknown Source)
    at com.fs.starfarer.ui.newnew.renderImpl(Unknown Source)
    at com.fs.starfarer.ui.o00O.render(Unknown Source)
    at com.fs.starfarer.ui.e$Oo.renderImpl(Unknown Source)
    at com.fs.starfarer.ui.v.renderImpl(Unknown Source)
    at com.fs.starfarer.ui.e.renderImpl(Unknown Source)
    at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.ui.oOOoOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.renderImpl(Unknown Source)
    at com.fs.starfarer.ui.e$Oo.renderImpl(Unknown Source)
    at com.fs.starfarer.ui.e.renderImpl(Unknown Source)
    at com.fs.starfarer.ui.newui.J.renderImpl(Unknown Source)
    at com.fs.starfarer.ui.Oo0O.renderImpl(Unknown Source)
    at com.fs.starfarer.ui.newui.for.renderImpl(Unknown Source)
    at com.fs.starfarer.ui.newui.Stringsuper.renderImpl(Unknown Source)
    at com.fs.starfarer.title.TitleScreenState.render(Unknown Source)
    at com.fs.starfarer.BaseGameState.traverse(Unknown Source)
    at com.fs.state.AppDriver.begin(Unknown Source)
    at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain.main(Unknown Source)
    at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher.o00000(Unknown Source)
    at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$1.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
78996 [Thread-9] INFO  sound.oo0O  - Creating streaming player for music with id [miscallenous_main_menu.ogg]
78996 [Thread-9] INFO  sound.OooO  - Playing music with id [miscallenous_main_menu.ogg]

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I am officially the worst captain in the galaxy, i love it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
which start did you take?
tutorial, small combat, level 1. I'm only using the Nexerlin mod. I kind of want to dump a bunch of faction / ship mods in but don't know what to pick.

I got what feels like halfway through the tutorial. I love the art style, been so long since I played a real 2d game.

• 1Like

velk

Trakanon Raider
It's been a while since I last played, but my experience was that the faction mods were mostly very high quality, if somewhat erratically balanced. It made for some very interesting and unpredictable gameplay with all of them as Nex factions, which was good, but given so many of them add new weapons and modules it can be very very hard to work out an optimal ship layout.

On ship combat, being an absolutely atrocious pilot isn't as much of a handicap as you'd think at first, having the AI control your ship is fine - you are going to have to for most of your fleet anyway. You will find a lot of discussion about 'AI friendly' ships and weapons systems because of that.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I suped up my fastest ship with speed buffs and kite enemy ships around while my forces pick off their ships in piecemeal. So cheap but funny.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Having trouble getting into the game because of the combat. I kind of expected to have tight control of my fleet and be able to out-maneuver the enemy with some Honor Harrington moves. I know I'm just a rookie but I looked up videos of what I think is high level gameplay and it feels like people just let their ships fuck around while they isolate and blitzkrieg enemy ships one by one.

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
I remember my favorite fleet was a bunch of small carriers and tempests. Carriers had long range missiles and fighters/ torpedo bombers. I used the tempests with rapid fire energy weapons to take down shields on bigger targets just before a bombing run would hit.

It was just an angry swarm of ship's but I utilized way points to group up my forces before surging forward.

Tempests were great for chasing down fleeing vessels as well.

Really fast and fuel efficient as well.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
which start did you take?
Played a bit more, did a circuit where I traveled to one corner of the map scooping up domain era probes. Ran into a Domain Era Vessel or something I couldn't beat.

I'm still having a bit of trouble exerting control my ships. I want to have a nice attack squadron that isolates and murders enemies in synchronized victory but instead my NPC ships kinda float around needledicking randos. The battles between each ship are over so quickly that by the time I corral my ships into fighting an opponent the fight is over.

I'm also not sure if I'm lucky or this is just da wey but my two big gains in power have come from an abandoned research station where I found a bunch of blueprints I learned (including an astral blueprint, was hard to resist selling it for 300k) and this Legion capitol ship I salvaged that just had a damaged life support. I like the idea of finding rando stuff from exploring but it feels like these two things have overshadowed everything else I've done to this point and required no special effort on my part. It just feels like I've been gifted stuff.

I just got the Legion, not sure how hard it is to maintain a capital ship, especially one that tripled my crew requirements while having damaged life support :\

Caliane

yeah, fleet control is always rough.
This isn't an rts where you have perfect control over them.

you are going to be subject to their A.I. and personality. its wrangling cats.

Theres things you can do to help. the A.I. wants total tactical superiority usually before it will strike. Commanders are going to increase a ships confidence. better stats, etc.
ideally, "Aggressive" commanders at least. maybe even "reckless." although, reckless might suicide when you don't want them to, more then you would like.

Managing range. This one's tough. Ship A.I. tries to maintain max range. lets say you set up a ship to have 1000 range med energy weapons. but then also put in 4 500 range antimatter blasters to murder ships in close range. You as a player will understand that the ideal range is about 800. sit there poking with long range energy weapons, then dive in for a kill when the opportunity strikes. or, if you need to fall back, you can, while still firing off your 1000 range guns. of if the enemy tries running away from you, you have 200 range of energy weapons to keep firing on them, and stay on them. The A.I. won't see that. the A.I. will think, lets stay at exactly 1000. so when the enemy backs off, it stops firing. if the enemy has an opening, it won't dive in and put it down. esp if there is any back up, and it may take fire itself.

A.I. controlled ships should tend to have their main guns all the same range. only point defense with shorter.

Tempests with beam weapons will sit at like 1000 range, or more. and tank basically entire fleets. as they just pull ships away, never take any damage past their shields, and just kite all day. 5-10 ships easy usually. but they also won't kill anything themselves.
Tempests with pulsars will put things down. But will also take some hits.

Carriers tend to be much more effective at following orders like that. As, fighters are faster, have longer range, and will actually dive into targets disregarding safety. you order a strike on a target will carriers, they may actually go in. ..may..
Otherwise, yes, its frustrating to order execute commands, and have your ships pussyfoot around, and not run it down.

the good news is since the A.I. tends to play it safe, and not die. you can let them do that, and play the strike group yourself. hammerheads, dooms, etc.

May want to mod the battle size. default is 300. This makes it so you can only deploy 120-180 DP. 300 split between each fleet. if you do, probably should increase fleet size as well, which is also capped at 30 default.
May also then mod the amount of command points you have. so you can give lots of orders. enabling better options for sending in distractions, then strike wings.

• 1Like

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Played a bit more, did a circuit where I traveled to one corner of the map scooping up domain era probes. Ran into a Domain Era Vessel or something I couldn't beat.

I'm still having a bit of trouble exerting control my ships. I want to have a nice attack squadron that isolates and murders enemies in synchronized victory but instead my NPC ships kinda float around needledicking randos. The battles between each ship are over so quickly that by the time I corral my ships into fighting an opponent the fight is over.

I'm also not sure if I'm lucky or this is just da wey but my two big gains in power have come from an abandoned research station where I found a bunch of blueprints I learned (including an astral blueprint, was hard to resist selling it for 300k) and this Legion capitol ship I salvaged that just had a damaged life support. I like the idea of finding rando stuff from exploring but it feels like these two things have overshadowed everything else I've done to this point and required no special effort on my part. It just feels like I've been gifted stuff.

I just got the Legion, not sure how hard it is to maintain a capital ship, especially one that tripled my crew requirements while having damaged life support :\
If that level of control you want, try the Battlestar Galactica is pretty good as well as the first battlefleet Gothic to an extent.

Caliane

.95.1a Release.

Starsector version 0.95.1a is now out! This is a .1 release, meaning it’s focused on polish, bugfixing, and quality-of-life improvements – but more than the normal share of new features and sweeping changes have found their way into this one, as well!

• Skill system changed for more flexible builds with more options
  • Several new game-changing top-tier skills, and other new skills
  • All skills can be re-specced, no more “permanent” skills
  • New ships: Eradicator-class Fast Cruiser, Manticore-class Destroyer, Vanguard-class Frigate
  • Missions show the mission target location prior being accepted
  • Dynamic slipstreams that enable quick and efficient travel in hyperspace
  • Sensor ghosts in hyperspace!
  • Improved early access to ships and weapons through arms dealers
  • Phase cloak changes to make phase ships easier to deal with if they’re outmatched
  • Ship AI improvements; ability to issue a “defend” order targeting a friendly ship
  • Various balance changes to improve variety
  • Modding improvements
  • Assorted bugfixing, polish, and numerous quality-of-life improvements

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
.95.1a Release.

Starsector version 0.95.1a is now out! This is a .1 release, meaning it’s focused on polish, bugfixing, and quality-of-life improvements – but more than the normal share of new features and sweeping changes have found their way into this one, as well!

• Skill system changed for more flexible builds with more options
  • Several new game-changing top-tier skills, and other new skills
  • All skills can be re-specced, no more “permanent” skills
  • New ships: Eradicator-class Fast Cruiser, Manticore-class Destroyer, Vanguard-class Frigate
  • Missions show the mission target location prior being accepted
  • Dynamic slipstreams that enable quick and efficient travel in hyperspace
  • Sensor ghosts in hyperspace!
  • Improved early access to ships and weapons through arms dealers
  • Phase cloak changes to make phase ships easier to deal with if they’re outmatched
  • Ship AI improvements; ability to issue a “defend” order targeting a friendly ship
  • Various balance changes to improve variety
  • Modding improvements
  • Assorted bugfixing, polish, and numerous quality-of-life improvements

everyone can thank sseth that this game is starting to see fairly routine updates nowadays

such a hidden diamond of a game

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

rieter

Molten Core Raider
everyone can sseth that this game is starting to see fairly routine updates nowadays

such a hidden diamond of a game
I picked it up solely based on finding it in the Kenshi thread yesterday. Was telling some coworkers about it today. It really is great.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
So first mission in the tutorial the station commander lets me turn my transponder off to go pick up a msg from a mining outpost. Watched that vid and knew black market avoids tax and is a decent money maker, and you need your transponder off to trade there--so decided to check it out. With the transponder off, I notice I can trade on the black market freely with no suspicion (Which I'm guessing would normally get me fucked by the patrol fleet without this tutorial allowing me to have it off). See organs on the mining station and see I can get like a 20% profit for them back on the main station...then I see the drugs. Which sell for a ridiculous profit.

Have made 100k, pretty sure I can make a bit more running back and forth abusing the 'allowed to have transponder off' with no risk (Can fly literally into the patrol fleet). Is this an exploit or is gaming the system like this generally how the game is played? I don't want to shit on the experience by abusing a tutorial mechanic.

Last edited:

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Have made 100k, pretty sure I can make a bit more running back and forth abusing the 'allowed to have transponder off' with no risk (Can fly literally into the patrol fleet). Is this an exploit or is gaming the system like this generally how the game is played? I don't want to shit on the experience by abusing a tutorial mechanic.
Pretty sure you normally get stopped by local military patrols if they catch you with your transponder off

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
If only this game was online, would really give it whole nother layer.