Starting WOW - looking for advice and info

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

vatter69

Trakanon Raider
So after having never played WOW at all (veteran EQ player) - looking to start playing - most likely together with a friend.

Can someone hint some good websites to read up on like allakhazam or Lucy back in the EQ day etc.

Any suggestion for 2 player combo?
I read there are classes, races and specs. Religion too? Like i said - complete newb.

Any help is appreciated :)

Coleslaw

Blackwing Lair Raider
My go-to site for a lot of quest info is wowhead.com
No religion.
Yes there are classes/races/specs

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Had to reinstall after like notnplaying for a few months. Whut addons to use?!
I use the ElvUI pak and install a few others - deadlybossmods for raiding/dungeons, MikScrollingCombat Text, Auctioneer (or Tradeskill Master), and Masterplan for garrison stuff.

So after having never played WOW at all (veteran EQ player) - looking to start playing - most likely together with a friend.

Can someone hint some good websites to read up on like allakhazam or Lucy back in the EQ day etc.

I read there are classes, races and specs. Religion too? Like i said - complete newb.

If you were going to play with a friend first I'd suggest one of you buy the game and then "recruit a friend" on the other person. This gives some pretty insane bonuses like 300% xp when grouped together, can't port to eachother, some mounts I think?

It's a very fast game to level through, so if you don't want to RAF them and just do it old school you can do that too.

If you want to duo literally anything is fine, even two of the same class. Mobs while levelling are a joke to any class, so play what you want. If you guys are planning on running dungeons (instanced) to level up, I'd suggest at least one tank. If the other person is a healer it's even better. The reason I say this is DPS characters may have a queue of up to 15 minutes while tanks and healers usually don't have a queue at all since they're in high demand.

As for websites, I wouldn't even know where to start. I'd look at the official wow site just to get an overview of classes and try to figure out which ones sound the most interesting to you. They're all good in their own way, the game isn't balanced like some older MMOs where certain classes were required. There's so much overlap with specs (some classes can tank, heal, dps, or ranged dps) that I'd pick one that sounds interesting to you and go for it.

Like I said, the levelling is so quick that you can just keep trying out classes until one feels right.

Also you guys can play for free up to level 20 on unlimited characters, so definitely do that first. You can get a good feel for the game in the first 20 levels.

If you want to join our guild on Hyjal-US (Horde side), feel free to add me on battle.net (Noodleface#1412). I don't mind helping new players with anything.

Have fun mang.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

wanand

Bronze Knight of the Realm

Honestly WoW is so self-explanatory that you will not need any website for information until you start getting into the raid game. The whole level experience is designed that any class in any spec can do it with almost zero risk.

The RAF mentioned is worth it if you want to rush to max level but if you want see the zones fully and do the story line quest for the zones then you might want to avoid it, with the RAF you will out level zones so fast and only do a few quests in each zone before you out level it.

As for class combo with the launch of Legion most classes are in a weird state due the fact they are all balanced around artifact weapons that are not in game yet, for a ease of life aspect of a mage is always handy for getting around easy with the portals (not needed at all but can be handy) One of you going a tank class I would high recommend, with the easy of swapping spec in the recent patch a hybrid tank Druid/Pal would be recommend.

Once you do hit max level Icy Veins is a good spot to hit up for class guides and encounter guides, also MMO champion forums is not a bad place to look for theroycrafting. It can be hit and miss depending on your class. Ask Mr. Robot is a place to go for gear advice and working out what upgrade is best to aim for, but this is only really needed if you really going to min/max your character

If you are ever stuck in game for content to do, just press the question mark button in the micro bar (default UI) it will pop with a quest for you that will send you to the recommended zone for your level and also if there are any dungeons you could do, you should run every dungeon at least once to do the quests they are very good xp and so are the rewards for non-twinked characters

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

vatter69

Trakanon Raider
Thanks for the replies guys. So Dru/Pal is a good tank heal combo or are both classes able to heal AND tank? Coming from EQ druids were ok healers but worse tanks than enchanters :)

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Druid, Paladin, and Monk each have the ability to tank, heal, and dps. You can freely switch between roles depending on the situation. One of you can tank and one of you can heal, one can heal and one can dps, you can both dps, etc.

I'm a big fan of druids because they actually have two dps specs: one melee and one ranged, in addition to the ability to tank and heal. With a druid you always have 4 options of playstyle available.

Unless you're doing really high end content, all tanks/healers/dps are pretty much equal and good enough at their jobs. It's not like EQ where a druid was clearly an inferior healer to a cleric, for example.

• 1Like

wanand

Druid can be Tank (Guardian) Healer (Resto) Caster (Balance) Melee DPS (Feral)
Pal can be Tank (Prot) Healer (Holy) Melee DPS (Ret)

So with them two classes you can cover everything you will ever need for roles, and with the new patch you can use any spec whenever you like, unlike the 2 spec limit in place since launch

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>

wowhead.com is the best resource I've seen, curse.com can also help. Addon mods extend the UI in specific ways, and Curse is the best place to get that.

I'd recommend DK and priest or DK and druid. You can pretty easily pair two of anything, but tank + healer will be the best way to do group quests easily. You might want to play it first and get a handle on things, THEN start a death knight.

Tanks: Warrior, Druid, Paladin, Monk, Death Knight*, Demon Hunter*
Healers: Priest, Druid, Shaman, Paladin, Monk
Pure-DPS**: Warlock, Mage, Rogue, Hunter

World of Warcraft - Best summary
* - DK & DH are hero classes, and require you to have leveled another class before starting it (or they used to be)
** - Pure-DPS doesn't mean they are the best at DPS, it means they ONLY do damage. Every class has a damage specialization, but the ones in Pure-DPS only have damage specializations.

Races have some minor benefits, but just pick whatever you want. I'm preferential to Humans for diplomacy (or Worgen because SHAPESHIFTING) on Alliance and Blood Elves for Arcane Torrent + Prettiness on Horde.

I would recommend rolling your characters on the Hyjal realm, as that's where the forum guild is. I'm sure we can tag you on the guild and answer questions or help with quests or even provide some free equipment/bags/tips/etc.

Tauro

When you buy Legion (next expansion) you get a lvl 100 boost for one char with the game. When the expansion is released you can try out the classes at level 100 before you have to commit your boost. So play around until then and try some classes at lvl100 when Legion is released. You can then play the current content with all the other 10 mil players ;)

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Thanks for the replies guys. So Dru/Pal is a good tank heal combo or are both classes able to heal AND tank? Coming from EQ druids were ok healers but worse tanks than enchanters :)
Forget about a lot of the EQ rules you know. In WoW all tanks can main tank and all healers can main heal. There is also very little CC or utility. Some DPS classes bring nice utility but it's not their real purpose.

Roll whatever classes you and your friend want. Don't worry too much about filling group roles. There is some very initial benefit to playing a tank and a healer, because you'll have short dungeon queue times, but even that is just temporary. If you end up playing a lot, you both will be max level in a couple weeks and then those dungeon queues don't matter anymore.

• 1Like

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
I started WoW for the first time right before WoD came out. Almost same situation as you having never played an MMO since EQ. WoW is much easier then EQ was so don't worry about being the optimal class combo. The only thing I would recommend; don't be a tank while new to the game. When you do a dungeon it is expected the tank knows what to do and is sort of the leader of the group. As someone new to the game you are gonna slow the group down and piss people off. The quests and leveling zones stories are really well done. Just do those while taking your time enjoying the world/story.

Tauro

When you have an active sub you can also use the test server and try out different classes at lvl100.

The best start with Legion coming end of August is probably the new Demon Hunter class. Begins at lvl98 with their own starter zone. Best intro to the game i guess. Demon hunter will be released next week (9th), so not long to wait before you can fight the Legion ;)

Edit: Do you need another class at 100 to start a Demon hunter? Not sure right now.

Malkav

French Madman
When you have an active sub you can also use the test server and try out different classes at lvl100.

The best start with Legion coming end of August is probably the new Demon Hunter class. Begins at lvl98 with their own starter zone. Best intro to the game i guess. Demon hunter will be released next week (9th), so not long to wait before you can fight the Legion ;)

Edit: Do you need another class at 100 to start a Demon hunter? Not sure right now.

You need a lvl70 character on the same server to create a DH.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
If you're leveling - first time or an alt - you'll want mining/herbalism for your professions. Both give experience when you tap the nodes, so it helps with the grind. You can also sell the ore/herbs. Just make sure to keep an eye on your skill level, because each rank has a cap that you have to go back to the trainer to upgrade until you hit Draenor. Once you hit Draenor though, they give you special books that let you max your cap to the highest with some easy skill raise recipes.

Don't bother with crafting because the quests just give away good gear, or its cheaper to buy it off the auction house.

I recommend the addons TomTom and Sell-O-Matic2 for general purposes.

A lot of people give out coordinates for locations, just like in Everquest. TomTom will give you a little window with that you can move around on your UI.

Sell-O-Matic2 gives you options in the vendor window to mass-sell trash loot and set a save list for certain items (I "save" tradeskill stuff). Very useful for leveling and questing.

xzi

Mouthbreather
Just to let you know, if you decide to go do dungeons (they're pretty good!) you might run in to impatient players that want to chainpull everything. Might be better to let people know you're new.

Most everyone with alts in the game have Heirlooms which are pretty powerful items that level with you, so you can start with almost a full set from level 1 all the way to 100. (you can get them with a bunch of gold/you most likely won't have any til max level) They're very powerful, and because they're powerful people REALLY want to go fast, which can lead to you or your friend (if one of you two are tanking) getting hit pretty damn hard.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
game is like 12 years old, this is weird. prepare to be overwhelmed.

wowhead is the hands-down best info site for the game. once you learn the game and get to max level, icy veins is the go-to site for PVE/raiding info.

Malinatar

Lord Nagafen Raider
Goddamn. All these WoW threads make me want to start it up again. I stopped playing after MoP and never played WoD. Anything in WoD that is absolutely worth doing/experiencing?

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
I would suggest not worrying about all the shit at the start and just picking a class do some questing a level up without and sense of urgency. Get a feel for it, since you came from an MMO background most things will be cake to pick up. If you like the game and start to get into it then sure do some research start playing with addon's, keybinds, macro's, rotations, main spec off spec loot systems, lockouts, lockout bypasses, PvP currency, raid currency, extra loot drops, items for rolls for extra loot drops, honor, heirlooms, cross realm zoning, the point is over the years Bliz has added so much faggotry that it's a goddamn bureaucratic nightmare of red tape and bullshit if you aren't used it to already.

So before even worrying about any of that shit just pick a class any of them, pick a starting spec and enjoy the fact that it's going to be more responsive and fluid than EQ ever was in that regard. I am sure after a few quests and instances you will have a strong feeling of if you like the game or not. Since the base game up to level 20 I think is free (limiting some things like mail, whispers, ect) I would give it a whirl before buying it.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Goddamn. All these WoW threads make me want to start it up again. I stopped playing after MoP and never played WoD. Anything in WoD that is absolutely worth doing/experiencing?
Not at this point. But the new expansion is 3 weeks away. And the very start of an expansion is as fun as this game gets.