Steam Deals and Digital Sales

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
So much this. They had something amazing going starting with Shogun and then completely blew me away with the first Rome. Medieval 2 is where the franchised peaked and it was amazing. Lots of unit/nation diversity, pretty fun campaign map, etc.

It all went to shit with the release of Empire. Homogenized units, nations that essentially just amounted to "choose your flag color", and naval warfare that was slower than watching old people fuck. I thought they might have turned the corner a bit when I saw the new battle system with Shogun 2 (seriously, the way units clash/fight in that game is about as historically accurate as you're going to get to "real" battles in a video game), but they had to fuck it up by adding a bunch of extraneous shit like general leveling, the town building/branches/ etc. Then, they followed it up with a shittastic release in Rome 2, which had the same extraneous bullshit, plus bugs galore. A friend of mine says they fixed it with the expansion (which, they usually seem to do - the original release seems almost like their beta at this point), but by that point, most people couldn't care less. It has been this way since Empire and I haven't touched a release of theirs on "release day" since. Shogun 2 and Rome 2 were both "wait and see" with me. Shogun 2 I ended up getting on a winter sale, so it only cost me 15$, but I still have yet to purchase Rome 2. I'll be taking the same approach with their Warhammer game, but I'm betting it'll also have its fair share of issues.
I bought Rome 2 a few months ago and I'm pretty satisfied with it. Satisfied enough to put 177 hours into it, mostly in one big campaign where I took over the entire world.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Why is it every time I want to buy something from steam their performance is to shit and I keep getting error messages?

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Go into Steam Settings, Downloads tab, check the Download Region. It should be whatever DE one you're closest to, but try changing it to one of the others and see if it improves.

Haka

N00b
Tried Napolean: Total War a few weeks back after a summer sale and I couldn't get into it, I've never played a total war (played thousands of hours of Civilization series though) and I couldn't figure out the controls/concept. Didn't try too hard but I expected it to be more polished and was turned off.

Should I give one of the older Rome/Shogun's a try? Just worried that I have no nostalgia to fall back on.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Try Shogun 2 mebbe.

Napoleon is the worst one, and also doesn't really play like any of the others.

The really older ones, prior to Rome and Medieval 2 are way too old now.

Shogun 2 is probably the best of the newer ones. Rome 2 is probably alright now. Attila is probably okay now. Once they're patched they're not like terribad necessarily.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Try Shogun 2 mebbe.

Napoleon is the worst one, and also doesn't really play like any of the others.

The really older ones, prior to Rome and Medieval 2 are way too old now.

Shogun 2 is probably the best of the newer ones. Rome 2 is probably alright now. Attila is probably okay now. Once they're patched they're not like terribad necessarily.
Yeah, the original Shogun and Medieval have not aged well. The earliest one I'd recommend playing is Rome, which still holds up fairly decently (well, it did around 1 and a half years ago, when I last played).

A friend of mine said that he recommends skipping Rome 2 entirely and just going straight to Atilla.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
My problem with Rome 1 is solely that (the last time I tried playing it, which was several years ago now) I couldn't get it to go widescreen at all for modern monitors.

That would be my biggest problem with playing it now. Too jarring to go back to whatever 1200x 800 or whatever.

It may be patched up now or there may be mods, I dunno I was too lazy to really try that hard though.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I just remember Shogun 1 being one of the most poorly optimized games I've played. My current PC can run even modern games on high and Shogun 1 was causing it to chug.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Atilla is pretty good, actually. Only thing that sucks is its not in the period I really like; I like the actual period of Rome rising. Rome 2 now is decent, after all the patches--worth the money on a sale for sure. But its not as good as Atilla (Just due to the deeper mechanics of the family tree and weather/food...Atilla has a lot mroe strategic elements that I enjoy.)

Tenks

Also you know what I just installed and started playing and am really, really enjoying? Fucking Risen 3. Risen was a great game and Risen 2 was an absolute dumpster fire of terrible. Risen 3 seems to blend in a ton of Risen 1 with the Risen 2 environment (tropical pirates vs pretty canned fantasy.) It is really good. Especially if you enjoy RPGs that don't completely hold your hand. You need to actually consider the dialog and read some notes/diaries to figure out what to do.

Vorph

'Launch day edition' is just a pre-order bonus you get everywhere, like FF Type-0 and the FFXV demo code. That's not the same thing as the limited edition, which has a different art book and a figurine.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
'Launch day edition' is just a pre-order bonus you get everywhere, like FF Type-0 and the FFXV demo code. That's not the same thing as the limited edition, which has a different art book and a figurine.
You have it backwards (or GameStop and Best Buy are both wrong) Look at the second page, it shows the art book. The Limited Edition is the one that has some lame bonus code like the other games. Launch Day edition has the extra physical stuff.

Limited edition example:http://m.gamestop.com/product/ps4/ga...clusive/124786

Launch Day edition:http://m.gamestop.com/product/ps4/ga...ngeance/120702

Looks like they all just have their pricing backwards at the moment.

Vorph

Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance Limited Edition

Game
44-page full color art book
Two-disc complete soundtrack
3-inch Usalia figure
20" x 28.5" tear-resistant poster
Reversible game cover
Collector's box

Launch Day Edition

Game
32-pg art book
Original soundtrack CD
Reversible game cover
Collectible box

Limited is $80 everywhere, launch day is what you get as a pre-order bonus for $60 everywhere. Gamestop preorders include an extra costume you don't get anywhere else.

Tenks

Atlus is pretty good about offering some goodies if you pre-order or get the first run. I know Persona4 had a cool art book and SMT for the DS came with a decent strategy guide.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Ah ok, I see it now. Didn't see the book size difference at the bottom of GameStop page.

Never mind then, nothing to see here!

spronk

FPS noob
sooooo... japan, eh. i can't even tell what kind of game this is, i assume you rape japanese schoolgirls with tentacles

also is the main char a tranny?