Steam Deals and Digital Sales

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Are there any new games out that play like the Heroes of Might and Magic series but modernized? I put hundreds of hours into Heroes 2 and 3 with my friends in high school and was wondering what became of that genre.

Kaines

Potato Supreme
Are there any new games out that play like the Heroes of Might and Magic series but modernized? I put hundreds of hours into Heroes 2 and 3 with my friends in high school and was wondering what became of that genre.

Take a look at Fallen Enchantress.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rime

<Donor>
For a 4x in Space, take a gander at Stellaris. My favorite space 4x at the time.

Also +1 for Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes. Load up on an arseload of heroes who can summon and just roll around the countryside stomping monsters, cities, and the rare dragon.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Ok thanks guys.

Is Rebel Galaxy like Privateer? I was thinking a 4X and something like Privateer as well (2 separate games)

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Ok thanks guys.

Is Rebel Galaxy like Privateer? I was thinking a 4X and something like Privateer as well (2 separate games)

Think something like "Firefly: The Game" with 2D naval style combat. You're a space trucker doing jobs from basic cargo hauling to taking down pirates and bigger stuff.

• 2Like

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Its in "space" but you'll enjoy it if you take it as an arcade naval ship combat. I found it compelling enough to complete, I wasn't about complaining what it wasn't. Its a fun little game to broadside the fuck out of shit in a space skin.

If you want the arcade space shooter. Everspace is the best game on steam. If you like rogue likes make it double.

Rime

<Donor>
I really, really hate 'Early Access'. After purchasing many that turned into flops (Starting with the game that forced Steam to add the 'Early Access' tag - TOWNS), I try to avoid picking them up. But every game I have an interest in (Pit People, Space Pirates and Zombies 2, Oxygen Not Included, and Rimworld) is in Early Access and so very few games ever make it to a 'finished' state (if ever) until years and years later.

There should be a way to filter OUT Early Access games from my Steam search/sale window/whatever.

• 1Solidarity

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Heroes 3 Complete + HD mode + Horn of the Abyss fan expansion are still the best there is. The HD mod also has a ton of QoL improvements for armies and so on. I think I even made a thread here about it, it's one of the mainstays on my HDD.
Heroes 5 with all the expansions come second, with better balance between magic/combat abilities, but not everybody likes them. I think it still holds up remarkably well.

All the new versions and takes on the series have been pretty shallow or with glaring problems. Go replay the classics.

Utnayan Utnayan Rebel Galaxy is pretty budget take on the genre, basically a lot of flying around with procedurally generated missions and enemies and level scaling to keep the difficulty up, so every once in a while you fight the same enemies as before, but suddenly you are getting destroyed. It's not bad, but I got bored about 10h in, since the bulk of the gameplay is introduced in the first 2 hours and then you just go through the motions. Gameplay being only 2D also got annoying

• 2Like

Rime

<Donor>
Rebel Galaxy also suffers from a MASSIVE grind to get the cash for the higher tier ships. Also, it is locked to a single axis, which always irks me. Less of a space sim fighter and more tallships in space.

• 1Like

goishen

Macho Ma'am
If you''re thinking 4X, then I'd suggest Stars In Shadow. It's the closest that you'll ever find to MoO2. Stellaris can be fun, but I've heard that the mid-end game can be a tad of a grind.

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I really, really hate 'Early Access'. After purchasing many that turned into flops (Starting with the game that forced Steam to add the 'Early Access' tag - TOWNS), I try to avoid picking them up. But every game I have an interest in (Pit People, Space Pirates and Zombies 2, Oxygen Not Included, and Rimworld) is in Early Access and so very few games ever make it to a 'finished' state (if ever) until years and years later.

There should be a way to filter OUT Early Access games from my Steam search/sale window/whatever.
I agreed with this a few years ago, but if you do a little research into the game it should be evidenced how polished it is. For instance, 7 Days to Die I've put in almost 200 hours into, and it may never get released. But it's pretty darn polished. The EA thing is that it's just getting tons of updates still.

Rust was similar, and I felt I got burned at the time, but I still put a lot of hours into it.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
If you''re thinking 4X, then I'd suggest Stars In Shadow. It's the closest that you'll ever find to MoO2. Stellaris can be fun, but I've heard that the mid-end game can be a tad of a grind.

Loved the original Masters of Orion. That was a LONG time ago though for the original. I'll check that out thanks bud :)

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Could try Sins of a Solar Empire. Its more combat focused than any 4x game but it has the distinction to having real time multiplayer if thats your thing. Pretty fun game and usually pretty cheap.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
First Steam sale I might actually buy a few games simply because I have a Steam Link on the way from Amazon (eventually will ship I hope?) and so many more games sound appealing when I know I'll be playing them on my big screen from my couch.

• 1Like

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm willing to buy any game I'll play right then, which counts for Early Access stuff too. I don't think I have any EA games I haven't put a full 20+ hours into and I have a ton of them. Some just keep on giving too, like Empyrion, where I replay them every once in a while to try out new content. There's plenty of "released" games in worse state than many EA games so I think the whole categorization is a bit arbitrary. They DO need to add an "Abandoned" flag to games somehow though.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Finally really fucking with my steam link and it's incredible with a hard line. Hyper Light Drifter from the couch is amazing, highly recommend.

• 1Like

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

I can vouch for Rimworld, I've put hundreds of hours into it already. It's very playable and I don't think it's crashed once. Good modding scene too if you want to change things up or tweak your gameplay.