Steam Deals and Digital Sales

Brikker

Trump's Staff
StarCraft MMO with BDO style combat but guns/lasers/etc (but not the massive amounts of mobs and definitely not the PVP focus).

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Is DoS 2 better then the first? I liked the first one but 40$ is a lot for a game.

was hoping someone else would chime in. i haven't actually played them both, but from what i hear the sequel improves upon the original in pretty much every way -- but not in any groundbreaking way. pretty much the same experience, just a little better.

someone correct me if i'm wrong.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
was hoping someone else would chime in. i haven't actually played them both, but from what i hear the sequel improves upon the original in pretty much every way -- but not in any groundbreaking way. pretty much the same experience, just a little better.

Awesome game, was day one buy for me.

rick.jpg

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Is DoS 2 better then the first? I liked the first one but 40$ is a lot for a game.

I Loved DOOM and liked witcher.

I really wanna scratch the MP itch so thinking of BDO, overwatch, or WoW

D:OS2 is miles better than the first, and the first was already pretty decent, D:OS2 is definitely one of the best games of 2017(granted, it was also a really fucking good year for games, so it might not have won that many GotY and shit, with stuff like Nier, Breath of the Wild, Horizon Zero Dawn, Super Mario Odyssey, Persona 5, PUBG and so on).

It is much improved over the first one, both in terms of story, characters, build variety and such. The main negative is the armor system which is pretty polarizing and isn't that interesting, although it does change your approach to combat a bunch and also makes some encounters at least more challenging than they used to be.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Can anyone give me some recommends with all these sales? I have a 20 buck steam gift card, 30 dollar best buy, and 110 Walmart..

I normally don't PC game too much butrecently got a Ryzen 1700x and RX 580.

I bought the Surge and it's "meh" so far, just beat the first boss...

I enjoy action, RPG, Shooters, really anything that is good

Origin

Titanfall 2 is $10 on Origin right now. Currently playing through it, and although the campaign only appears to be about 8-10 hours long, it's extremely good.

Shadow of Mordor was fantastic and is dirt cheap currently. Not sure if you have already played that on consoles though.

Rime

<Donor>
D:OS2 was a day one purchase for me, which is super rare.

They have fixed most of the issues I had with the game (UI problems, Skills only 'working' if you have that character selected, inventory issues), but the final act/city is still messy. Lots of 'what the heck am I doing here?' and loads of stuff you can miss because the game steers you away from it.

Still an amazing game and I fully support Larian in any and all future versions after OS1 and OS2.

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
well fuck me sideways and call me mary, steam link shipping is 15 euros?

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
D:OS2 is worth the full price buy. Only thing that's kinda blah about it is that mods don't work with achievements (if your an achievement whore!).

Both games take creative approach to battle and ramp it up to 11, with OS2 throwing in deathfog barrels to much hilarity.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
The steam sales aren't as good as they once used to be. Some of the game prices were high compared to not last year, but the previous year. I like how they used to pace it all out with new deals daily then at the end have a huge sale. I would double dip on some of these to try out on PC, but not for only 30-50% off when a couple years ago these games would be 75-90% off. I mean, Nier isn't even on sale and although I have it for PS4 if I saw it for 9 bucks or something I probably would have double dipped because I liked the game. Games like Skyrim which are over 6 years old are selling for $19.99 when they should be $4.99 typically during this type of sale.

I spent more for Christmas gifts on Steam then I did for myself.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Rime

<Donor>
Steam lost lots of it's leverage when Amazon got heavy into the digital game business, then add in things like Humble, GoG, GamersGate, and so on... it means that all of these places have sales that are usually matched, so Steam does not get to do the deep discounts they once did.

As for Skyrim, that will never be bargain bin until the next Elder Scrolls title comes out. Given that they have re-released Skyrim five or six times now, we are going to be waiting a while.

• 1Like

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
I originally thought it was just having caught up on everything I wanted to buy. I don't think that's the case though. Steam sales used to be just amazing. I miss those daily deals...

I have better luck with the Game Deals subreddit, or Isthereanydeal now.

• 1Solidarity

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Steam lost lots of it's leverage when Amazon got heavy into the digital game business, then add in things like Humble, GoG, GamersGate, and so on... it means that all of these places have sales that are usually matched, so Steam does not get to do the deep discounts they once did.

As for Skyrim, that will never be bargain bin until the next Elder Scrolls title comes out. Given that they have re-released Skyrim five or six times now, we are going to be waiting a while.

Developers/Publishers have had control over sale prices on Steam for years, if not always. It's not Valve's call at all.

• 1Like

Rime

<Donor>
Yep. When Valve was the 'only' game in town and you had to scrape/fight to get a spot on it, they had more clout to push for sales. Publishers have always been able to say no, but if Gaben (not really him) asked, you would agree.

• 1Like

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
It evens out because there's more sales than there used to be. We used to have the Summer sale and the Winter sale, now we get a Halloween sale, an Autumn sale and loads peppered in between.

Autumn Sale was particularly good this year too, there were a ton of deep discounts on new games.

Daily sales were never good, because they massively favoured one region unless you were able to see each one. I much prefer the price to be set at the beginning of the sale.

They explained how the sales work in a GDC one year. They let publishers know about an upcoming sale, and then the publisher decides on the discount. Then visibility is based on how much overall money is shaved off the price, which is why you tend to see the deepest discounts on the front page.

• 1Barf

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
The whole digital marketplace economy has shifted significantly over the years, as well as the PC gaming footprint, this also impacts sale prices.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Sales increasing in density, but with higher prices across the spectrum, is far worse than having a couple limited sale options and getting better deals on backlogged/older games. Sony and MS still haven't caught up in their digital marketplace. In fact, 9 times out of 10 I look at one of their "deals" and I can find it cheaper brand new anywhere else in countless physical markets usually by anywhere from as little as a 5%, but up to a larger 40%, delta. I'll save $20 over the fact I have to get up and place a disc in the system any day of the week. Especially now that most everyone (At least in the US) is capped at 1tb of Bandwidth a month and the average game is 40-70gb per. I would rather use that bandwidth for streaming 4k hdr netflix content (As limited as it is)

We also used to see a lot more bundle deals.

Either way, I haven't been impressed with a steam sale in over two years now, and the hype for these is completely overblown now.

This video was aimed at the summer sale of 2017, but also can encompass Winter 2016 and Winter 2017 as well.

Last edited:
  • 1Picard

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I feel like the only people who don't like Steam Sales are those with 1000 games in their collection they still have yet to play. I always find one or two things to pick up.

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I feel like the only people who don't like Steam Sales are those with 1000 games in their collection they still have yet to play. I always find one or two things to pick up.

I have a lot of games in there true. But a lot of things I purchased purely because it looked good and was $4.99 for a GOTY edition. Seeing Civ 6 for only 50% off at $29.99 after a year and a half is ridiculous, when one can purchase Civ 5 the complete edition with all content for 12 bucks, and it's a better game anyway. Fallout Vegas Ultimate I purchased for $3.99 2 and half years ago after already owning the standard because I wanted the DLC and that was a good deal for it - $9.99 today. Nothing is hardly ever over 50% off any longer, and if it is, it's a bundle package at 66% off and still too high, for example: Toital War Rome 2 Emp edition, that shit is damn near 5 years old and still a broken mess.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah but it's not like Civ V was on sale for less then 30 bucks in 2011. Is a 7 year old game with a new sequel on super sale, sure. I don't remember Civ V getting super low until like 2015.

• 1Like