Steam Deals and Digital Sales

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
What's the consensus on all of the Hearts of Iron 4 DLC? The ratings seem...meh.

I don't remember if it was 2 or 3 I played the shit out of. This though seems like they're trying to make a fuckton of Soybucks off of the DLC bullshit to me. Is it a lot of crap that should have been in the core game, or not?

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Call me crazy but Hades just never clicked for me. Just shy of 6 hours in game and I never cleared Elysium.
Yeah, I couldn't ever really get into it either. Like, it definitely feels like it should be good, everybody says it's good, but I just couldn't really get into it. Played 4 hours and wished I had kept it to 2 for the refund. I knew after 2 I probably wasn't going to change my mind, but I pushed forward because of all the praise it got.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I felt the same way about Hades at first. I played it for 4 or 5 hours the first day I got it and didn’t really care for it. But I went back to it a couple months later and then for some reason I got hooked.

Kaines

Potato Supreme
What's the consensus on all of the Hearts of Iron 4 DLC? The ratings seem...meh.

I don't remember if it was 2 or 3 I played the shit out of. This though seems like they're trying to make a fuckton of Soybucks off of the DLC bullshit to me. Is it a lot of crap that should have been in the core game, or not?
The DLC mostly is about the country focus trees. Get the DLC for the countries you play the most and you can skip the rest. The only exception would be if you love playing UK or Japan then Man the Guns actually makes creating navies slightly more enjoyable.

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Base game is decent, the DLC is hot garbage.
I’m not convinced this is a great game. $15 was fine probably. But it lacks the depth and “charm” of a real souls-like game. It isn’t horrible or anything but didn’t have the same grab. Didn’t find the Codes to be interesting or many of the Gifts. Mostly one shotted the bosses. Strangely enough after reading all the complaints about the Cathedral stage I expected to hate it. Was probably one of my favorite areas compared to the bland dystopian city areas. All those years of Souls paid off when navigating bridges and towers.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Picked up Hollow Knight, The Binding of Isaac:Rebirth and Metro Exodus for about $30.00 today. Even though I'm way behind on my Steam library I'll get to them one day.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Hades is a great roguelike, but if you're not into those types of games it will likely get boring for you pretty quickly.

I finally picked up Subnautica the other day (the first one), and have been hooked on that for a while.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>

I played this series (and EU) since 1. I to this day still play Hearts of Iron 2, darkest hour. I too want to know if Hoi4 is worth a buy.

• 1Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
My only complaint about Hades was the fishing if you didn't have a 1ms response monitor with the reflexes of a cat getting a perfect was nigh impossible unless it went to the last tug and you knew it couldn't fake.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Picked up all the old Baldurs Gate games and xpacks for like 21 bucks. Always wanted to try the games, but no way was I paying the 120+ dollars it usually costs.

Also, for my fellow cheapskates with a PS5 Returnal, Spiderman MM, Demon Souls and Sackboy are all on sale for under 50 bucks.

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hades made my Wishlist because at first glance its a lot of things I enjoy. I don't buy early access titles, so I was looking forward to its full release.

It bounced off my Wishlist after everyone and their brother used the early access to make YouTube content, and without even really trying, I've now seen most of the game at this point. If I bought it now it would be just to train up the gameplaying skills; not enjoying the game content.

It didn't help that it's a prime example of the twisting of "rogue-lite" from the original idea of "hard as fuck, but meta progression lets you keep getting further unlike start from scratch each time full on Rogue style games." to the current "you've not really beaten the game unless you've beaten it 50 times. NOW we can show you the true ending".

There have always been ADHD motherfuckers out there whom are the target audience; (more power to those motherfuckers, and to the game company for giving them a good game) but without lots of cosmetics and other microtransactions, I don't understand the market model that makes catering to the "I'm going to put 10000 hours into this game" audience make sense.

• 1Truth!

Kaines

Potato Supreme
I played this series (and EU) since 1. I to this day still play Hearts of Iron 2, darkest hour. I too want to know if Hoi4 is worth a buy.
I have a hard time recommending any Paradox Studio game these days specifically because of their DLC policies. However, if you can get it on a huge sale, yes, they are worth it.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Hades made my Wishlist because at first glance its a lot of things I enjoy. I don't buy early access titles, so I was looking forward to its full release.

It bounced off my Wishlist after everyone and their brother used the early access to make YouTube content, and without even really trying, I've now seen most of the game at this point. If I bought it now it would be just to train up the gameplaying skills; not enjoying the game content.

It didn't help that it's a prime example of the twisting of "rogue-lite" from the original idea of "hard as fuck, but meta progression lets you keep getting further unlike start from scratch each time full on Rogue style games." to the current "you've not really beaten the game unless you've beaten it 50 times. NOW we can show you the true ending".

There have always been ADHD motherfuckers out there whom are the target audience; (more power to those motherfuckers, and to the game company for giving them a good game) but without lots of cosmetics and other microtransactions, I don't understand the market model that makes catering to the "I'm going to put 10000 hours into this game" audience make sense.
That’s pretty ridiculous. I have beaten the game many times and have unlocked nearly everything and only have 75 hours played.

• 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Hades is a great roguelike, but if you're not into those types of games it will likely get boring for you pretty quickly.

I finally picked up Subnautica the other day (the first one), and have been hooked on that for a while.
I absolutely love roguelikes, but there's just something about the gameplay I couldn't get hooked on. Like I said, it seems to have everything I should enjoy in a game but for some reason I just didn't.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I absolutely love roguelikes, but there's just something about the gameplay I couldn't get hooked on. Like I said, it seems to have everything I should enjoy in a game but for some reason I just didn't.

It had some incredibly annoying encounters and enemy types that made it frustrating to enjoy at times. Not even from a “git gud” standpoint. Just from a wtf was the point here. The first couple of times you face the dragon guy and before learning about weapon damages and how to stack your boons is irritating because it takes forever to kill him. Then you hit the third area (I think? Been a while) and the annoying mobs gets turned up to 10.

I enjoyed it immensely but it had things that detracted. The boon system also wasn’t the best. It really took struggling through quite a few runs to open everything up and get to the meat of the game. And even some of those unlocks were gated behind random encounters back in main camp.

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That’s pretty ridiculous. I have beaten the game many times and have unlocked nearly everything and only have 75 hours played.
Sounds like it was a good fit for you. it is a VERY rare game that I play through more than once. Both in a quest for novelty, and triple digit un-played games in my steam acct; even a *great* branching game usually gets a single play through, and then I check YouTube to watch the other endings, or to check out the "what if you side with faction X" branching.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Sounds like it was a good fit for you. it is a VERY rare game that I play through more than once. Both in a quest for novelty, and triple digit un-played games in my steam acct; even a *great* branching game usually gets a single play through, and then I check YouTube to watch the other endings, or to check out the "what if you side with faction X" branching.
Yeah, to watch the ridiculous plat runs or 26 endings or whatever like Nier I’d just YouTube it. Was just saying 10k hours was way overstated.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
So, I bought a game for 99 cents. 90% off.

It's not a great game, and probably not worth the full price. But it's one of those games that I can't blame the creator for, when it's one person or a couple friends who started their own studio.

But then I see this review, and...well...

RE: the locking of the game: It just forces you to play through the campaign about once. It's a short campaign. You don't have to do everything in it. You could probably speed-run it. I did it myself today, and then had enough 'valor' to unlock the other game modes. But I'd have to play through more in order to unlock classes and gear.

But it's a game that both I (and this guy) bought for 99 cents.

I also didn't know that Unity would 'mangle your firewall' and 'scoop all data from every browser installed' but hey, whatever, LOL

1624857336602.png

• 1Worf