Steam Deals and Digital Sales

Stave

Potato del Grande
Speaking of Fallout NV. I picked it up the other day. Any mods I should get before starting? Never played it but I know theres tons out there from graphics to gameplay overhauls.

Caliane

Thoughts on Baldur's Gate or Fable 3 for $5?
Fable 3 is pretty disappointing.
Got it a while back on some sale. had it for a long time, and finally got around to it a month ago or so.

It starts out decent. seemingly almost good. you will probably wonder why people say it sucks. Then you start running into the insanely repetitive fighting, and fetch quests.(for townsfolk affection)
The game has two parts. Part 1, is decent. You achieve the goal set out at the beginning of the game. This would be the ending of most games, except you've only been playing for maybe 7 hours.
So, now part 2. The format of the game changes a bit. and suddenly, you have to amass a shit ton of cash, which you were not warned about previously. (ps. spend all your cash on buying real estate. especially taverns, pawns. jack the tax rates up on the high cost stuff) and then the game just ends.
You will be sitting there going. wait thats it?

Buying a house is stupid. all this dev time spent on "decorations" which are complete ass, and pointless.

bayr_sl

shitlord
Speaking of Fallout NV. I picked it up the other day. Any mods I should get before starting? Never played it but I know theres tons out there from graphics to gameplay overhauls.
You should definitely get Project Nevada, it adds a great deal to the combat, weapons, items etc as well as optional balance tweaks. Otherwise I'd focus on whatever make the game prettier to look at, be that ENB or sweetfx or whatever

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The ENB* recommendation is a good one but you should definitely NOT get a mod like Project Nevada for your first playthrough. Save the overhaul mods for after you've played the game and know what exactly you think needs overhauling. If you're like me you'll realize that Obsidian actually did a really good job with balance (compared to FO3 especially) and decide that overhaul mods are completely unnecessary. That said, I might give J.E. Sawyer's mod a try one of these days, seeing as he's one of the actual developers.

I suggest sticking with just Mission Mojave - Ultimate Edition for bugfixes, and then add whatever cosmetic stuff you like and/or your PC can handle. I always use Darnified UI, Nevada Skies (URWLified), Electro-city/Imaginator, Weapon Retexture Project, Enhanced Blood Textures (+ More Gore), EVE, Centered 3rd Person Camera, NMC Texture Pack and a whole slew of other texture mods that improve trivial things not in the pack, etc. All can be found on NV Nexus except for Darn's UI, which is only on the Bethesda forums (just google it).

If you do use a mod that makes any gameplay changes for the first run through it, I wouldn't consider anything more drastic than MM-UE+.

* - Enhanced Shaders - ENB 173 is the name of the mod that does ENB best over at Nexus. Be sure to get the Nevada Skies version if you use that mod.

bayr_sl

shitlord
Project Nevada is fine for a first playthrough with the core settings, it really only adds to the gameplay, it doesn't change much at all. I also forgot to mention DarnUI or something like that

Zuuljin

Bronze Knight of the Realm
You know, its hard to complain about the Steam sales.... but I still cant help but feel ripped off when I buy something one day for 50% off, then 2 days later its >75% off. With their flash sales and daily sales, its almost a damn gambling game in itself to find the best deals on there.

Azziane_sl

shitlord
Project Nevada is fine for a first playthrough with the core settings, it really only adds to the gameplay, it doesn't change much at all. I also forgot to mention DarnUI or something like that
If you've played FO3 and felt you needed an overhaul mod there you should definitely get one for NV on the 1st play through. I tried both Sawyer's and PN and they are both good. I stuck with PN because Sawyer had more compatibility issues with mods I wanted though.

Sylverlokk

Golden Knight of the Realm
I was about to pick up Fable 3 but then I noticed the Games For Windows Live shit. I hate that bastardized, buggy system, there hasn;t been a GFWL game that I have played where I haven't lost save data at some point.

Gorehack

Lord Nagafen Raider
I had to buy Baldur's Gate Enh. I played the ever living fuck out of that game in 98-99 during my DnD hayday and I never beat it due to the bugs. I remember there was one dungeon with these lightning bolt traps, and they somehow always glitched for me and would annihilate my party and I would rage quit.

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
I was about to pick up Fable 3 but then I noticed the Games For Windows Live shit. I hate that bastardized, buggy system, there hasn;t been a GFWL game that I have played where I haven't lost save data at some point.
Even when you skip the online portion and tell it to save on your HD?

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Anyone play the Starforge Alpha? Looks interesting... maybe something like a better looking Minecraft?

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
You know, its hard to complain about the Steam sales.... but I still cant help but feel ripped off when I buy something one day for 50% off, then 2 days later its >75% off. With their flash sales and daily sales, its almost a damn gambling game in itself to find the best deals on there.
Heh, if you want to see epic rage on such - see the thread in Civ 5: Brave New World over there about the 30% discount two days after the 10% preorder discount.... but I absolutely agree part of why either I grab stuff full price or commit to a "get to this price" thing and wait for that rather than half-assing. Sure sometimes I get burnt by a later bonus but it's a price I was willing to commit to - not inspired because of the sale.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Not really, there's a tacit rule about steam sales that you shouldn't buy anything that's not featured as a daily, flash or community sale. Every game will eventually be on one of these and will have a better price at that point, so you shouldn't buy anything not on the list. Usually at the end everything goes on full sale too in case you missed anything. It's the way steam sales have worked for many years now, it's nothing new.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Anyone tried the Prison Architect game? Looks like it might be fun but don't really want to chance it at ?17