Steam deck portable handheld gaming PC from Valve

Brikker

Trump's Staff
steam decks are now all caught up, if you order on today it'll ship in a day or two. also they released the steam dock, $90

I have the jsaux dock, only used it once works fine. i can't really see why i'd want to hook my deck up to my monitor and kbm, instead i just use steamlink to remote control it on my desktop, but i guess if you don't have a desktop PC it would be really cool to have as a single PC, especially if you dual boot into windows.

My steam link always sucked ass streaming to my TV. Noticeable input delay from an Xbox wireless controller and noticeable graphics reduction. I haven't tried it in my new house but it's over twice the size of my old house and different floors between PC and OLED tv now. Dock + deck seems like it'd be nice for TV streaming for me.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
512 is the only one that comes with a custom laser etched screen protector that is bonded to the screen. and a custom case that is ok plus some DLC shit. whether thats worth the extra, up to you. you can swap the SSD in 15-20 mins for a 1TB and still keep a microSD, plus a case and screen protector is like $40-50

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
gotta love pc gamers apparently you can edit the linux boot to not limit the intro video, so someone put on the entire shrek movie and set the limit to 0 and now they can't get into their steam deck until the entire movie plays lol

people are uploading boot videos here, latest steam update makes it easy to just drop one in (by default it only runs for ~4 seconds i think)

• 5Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
So is everyone just trying to get some free deck then?
I mean all it takes is clicking a button on Steam and then afking a stream so might as well, even if you don't need one can always resell. The odds of winning are obviously complete shit but doesn't cost anything to try, don't even have to register on some external site or submit personnal info or whatever.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I mean, I'd be down for some deck if it's at least decent, ya know?

How big are we talking here? Do you need both hands to hold it?

• 2Wow!
  • 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I mean, I'd be down for some deck if it's at least decent, ya know?

How big are we talking here? Do you need both hands to hold it?
Well it is a pretty big deck so yeah you'd need both hands. It is a large solid black deck after all. Gets pretty hot when it's in action too but there's some fans to blow your deck and make it nice and cool. The great thing about this deck is you can play with it in a lot of different ways, you don't have to stick to windows only. The main downside is with a deck this big, it doesn't last very long, but plenty long enough to have a lot of fun anyway.

I assume that's what you meant with the first comment but didn't get it, then I remembered this old video

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Ps. Is there a way to play Assassin creed games that I have on Ubi+ on steam deck, but without a wifi connection?

stupidmonkey

Not Smrt
<Gold Donor>
Supposed to get mine tomorrow. Went with the cheap 64GB and will potentially update it with a 1TB drive at some point. Picked up a cheap ivolver dock off Amazon, as well as a 512GB Samsung miniSD for $40-50. Going to be my main emulation machine moving forward. I never had a PSP so looking forward to its version of Final Fantasy Tactics and some other RPGs.

Steam stuff will mostly be indies since I don't dive into the triple AAA outside of the Souls series.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I bought one of these to make use of my 16 year steam collection/emulation and with my kids on the TV. We'll see how it goes!

Couldn't find any good reason to get a PS5.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
You're going to love it.

I'm playing a modded FFVII right now, get like 4-5 hours of battery life with older titles.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I picked up one of these covers, I like the look and it adds some protection. Kind of risk free at $15.

1672432059151.png

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Random question:

I play a lot of Deck off wifi. If deck is in sleep/standby mode and I bring it in range of say, my home wifi, will it do downloads/sync games while in standby?

Also, what exactly is the Steam Deck Dock for? Is it just a fancy charging stand?

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Random question:

I play a lot of Deck off wifi. If deck is in sleep/standby mode and I bring it in range of say, my home wifi, will it do downloads/sync games while in standby?

I think it does something, cause it definitely drains battery on standby, and I think I've woken it up to find it had downloaded an update or something like that. I might just be paranoid, but I definitely suspect it of something.

• 1Like