Steam deck portable handheld gaming PC from Valve

cradeg

Molten Core Raider
first, I love my deck ... BUT
I can't find anything that I can play well on it, my main problem is that everything is too small > like Hades or Elden Ring, I got some glasses just to read the text better. I am looking for some games that use the screen like for a handheld > should I go for switch emu ?

You guys have no issue with the screen size ?

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I picked up one of these covers, I like the look and it adds some protection. Kind of risk free at $15.

View attachment 450669

Looks nice but first thought was no texturing where you hold it, looks like there are some good alternatives though in the recommended products, probably pick something up. Will post impressions if I do.

• 1Like

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Looks nice but first thought was no texturing where you hold it, looks like there are some good alternatives though in the recommended products, probably pick something up. Will post impressions if I do.

I ordered the Spiggen one today, will post impressions when it arrives.

spronk

FPS noob
the deck does not download/update anything while in standby, which has kinda sucked. it does i think if you go into desktop mode and run steam client but in normal deck mode you have to leave it open and it will go to sleep on its own when the downloads are done

• 1Like

stupidmonkey

Not Smrt
<Gold Donor>
Got the PSP version of Final Fantasy Tactics going. Some weird issues after waking it up from sleep with not being able to attack. Controller inputs work on xbox controller and the deck itself but selecting attack doesn't allow you to select the target and does this weird cancel. The only work around I've found is to completely exit emulation station and go back to the game. Also had a hell of time figuring out how to exit which isn't start + select but steam button + left d-pad arrow for the PSP emulator.

N64 games have been working fairly well, along with the 8 and 16-bit systems. Haven't tried PSX and other more modern systems but I'll eventually get there. Played a few PC titles like Cities Skylines and pixel indie titles without complaints. Battery life seemed to be closer to 7-8 hours on what I've been trying but nothings that demanding. I'll assume it drops like a rock with anything newer and more graphically intensive.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
first, I love my deck ... BUT
I can't find anything that I can play well on it, my main problem is that everything is too small > like Hades or Elden Ring, I got some glasses just to read the text better. I am looking for some games that use the screen like for a handheld > should I go for switch emu ?

You guys have no issue with the screen size ?
I have bifocal glasses and have no issues, personally.

Just the form factor kills my hands after a while.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I mostly got it for the white look. I looked at JSAUX Skin Stickers and had zero interest in trying to be perfect to make it look good. Like you said there is no bottom texture but it does feel good and adds some protection. If it ever gets too dirty or scuffed it is a cheap replacement.

• 1Solidarity

spronk

FPS noob
imo steam deck is not really suitable for every game, anything that requires a lot of interactivity isn't amazing for it. Games that are more casual and laid back are great. Vampire Survivors is like the perfect steam deck game, you only need to use left thumbstick and most of the time not really concentrate at all and you can play in small chunks of time.

Visual Novels, deck games, puzzle games, slower RPGs are all fantastic. I wouldn't really enjoy playing FPS, racing games, combat heavy games, or really anything that requires high micro. I doubt I'd enjoy Elden Ring or God of War or Spider-man on it, other than the novelty factor.

While I doubt i'll ever try it, pretty neat to see PS3 emulated games like Armored Core 4 running on a steam deck

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I want to try this but I don't want to dive in with the price tag - especially with it using the Steam Deck's battery. That's definitely one of my biggest Steam Deck gripes. It's battery is already pretty bad as-is without a resource hungry accessory.

• 1Solidarity

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
I want to try this but I don't want to dive in with the price tag - especially with it using the Steam Deck's battery. That's definitely one of my biggest Steam Deck gripes. It's battery is already pretty bad as-is without a resource hungry accessory.

Read it stops working at 50% battery too, plus I guess the screen is fixed so it follows you around.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
If I was single or something I'd find no use for it.

Deck is a Dad machine.

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
Been incredibly pleased with my Steam Deck since it's arrived. I had originally purchased it for a pretty specific reason, which was to play Lost Ark (via geforce now) while I have a bunch of work travel to complete. It's been incredibly effective at that, albeit I certainly wouldn't raid for it.

On top of that though, I just think it's a really cool portable gaming machine and I'm getting more value out of it than I thought I would. Being able to carry around my steam library while I'm stuck in an airport due to a flight being cancelled is a god send and the resume feature is really well done.

spronk

FPS noob
steam decks are 10% off currently, get to your house within a week, and 100% totally worth it especially if you have a big steam library

i personally think the 64gb version is best and you buy a 1TB ssd and install it yourself, but i'm super lazy and bought the 512gb version at release which comes with a special built in screen protector (and case that is pretty lame, replaced mine with a third party one that has more useful pouches)

• 1Solidarity

spronk

FPS noob
if you have a bazillion silver points from buying games and shit (you get a ton for buying a steam deck) you can buy startup videos now from steam itself, although its super easy just modding it yourself - its just dropping a webm file into a folder, there are even tools that let you rotate startups

site that lets you download your own startup videos

top 100 games played on the deck, hogwarts trans genocide legacy is #1

spronk

FPS noob
that is some pretty neat shit, does it run SteamOS or Win11 by default? I wonder what the battery life is like too.

Probably best to wait till a v2 of those though, you know they will fuck some stuff up at launch. Really neat stuff though, they will be absolute beasts at emulation. LOL, you could probably run the new TOTK way better than on a switch

cradeg

Molten Core Raider
from that video it looks like to me that it is running windows 11 native .... which makes sense as why bother with steamos if you are not valve ;) , I like the dock with an additional GPU

spronk

FPS noob
ASUS ROG's deck equivalent (running windows) will apparently sell for $700

not a crazy price for the specs, since the 512gb steam deck is $550. If I played mine every day it would be interesting but I play mine maybe once a month, but it is fantastic to kill an hour or two.

The ROG should be a crazy emu machine with the CPU, GPU, and display.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users