Steam deck portable handheld gaming PC from Valve

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I was skeptical, but I basically watch netflix for 12 hours a day at work, might help me work on my game backlog.
Pretty much my exact situation. They frown on computers and laptops, but Nintendo switches and phones are okay, so this will get a pass, and pretty sure nobody would even notice if I unplugged my mouse and keyboard from the work computer and into this.

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Some sort of government work by the sound of it
Yes, though plenty of all day long posters in politics in private jobs where they don't do all that much as well.

At least in my case I'm still doing what Im supposed to at the same time.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I dont do dick all day at work either. 12 hour shifts of boredom. I watch YouTube videos all day.

Im a steam engineer, run high pressure boilers. (that run themselves, I just take readings from gauges every 2 hours)

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I dont know it's just me aging or what, but playing anything other than some sort of simple game on a handheld just doesn't feel right anymore.

With our switch, we can hook it up to the TV and game for hours, but put it in handheld mode and I just can't enjoy any title on it.

I enjoyed the hell out of the Gameboys , game gears, Sega nomad etc.

Maybe I am just so used to gaming on a 75 inch TV now that anything less just seems subpar. Back in the day a 75inch would be out of a majority of the populations reach, but now you can get pick them up on the clearance racks for a week's worth of unemployment lol.

System sounds amazing though.
Same here unless it’s a turn based type game. I played Fell Seal all the way through on my kids Switch. He’s the opposite. I put a TV and couch in his loft so he can game on the TV and he will just be sitting there on the couch playing in handheld mode. When his friends come over to play Switch they all just sit on the couch playing their own instead of gaming together. Sometimes they’ll play Minecraft dungeons on the TV but they always end up bitching at each other so I don’t say anything when they’re all playing their own, it’s more peaceful that way.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I dont do dick all day at work either. 12 hour shifts of boredom. I watch YouTube videos all day.

Im a steam engineer, run high pressure boilers. (that run themselves, I just take readings from gauges every 2 hours)
My god why haven’t you just automated that?

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

joz123

Potato del Grande
I might be in the minority but I don't see the appeal of this. The games I play on PC are games I wouldn't want to play handheld without a mouse and keyboard.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
My god why haven’t you just automated that?
I did automate my job. I fill out the same forms at the same time with different dates. I wrote a program to do my job for me. A grueling day is when something breaks and I gotta un-checkmark the right box and call someone to fix it.

I might be in the minority but I don't see the appeal of this. The games I play on PC are games I wouldn't want to play handheld without a mouse and keyboard.

You can get the little attachment that lets you hook it up to a monitor/tv and has USB ports specifically for mouse/keyboard.

• 1Worf

Caeden

I feel like we need to hear salaries of these jobs before I know whether or not to cry.

Sludig

I feel like we need to hear salaries of these jobs before I know whether or not to cry.
~30hr + 5/hr health/wellness which covers insurance options with anything leftover going to 401k. Plus overtime. Currently working 60-70hrs/week.

So I do alright. Not a peasant, not lawyer money. More of us been shot in the last year though than in the last 5 though.

FB_IMG_1621002514980.jpg

Caeden

~30hr + 5/hr health/wellness which covers insurance options with anything leftover going to 401k. Plus overtime. Currently working 60-70hrs/week.

So I do alright. Not a peasant, not lawyer money. More of us been shot in the last year though than in the last 5 though.

View attachment 363041
I’m going to cry a little bit. But my hours are way under that. I do about 45 a week for ~ 140k/yr plus benefits. If it’s a bad year, that can swing it down to 120k.

Sludig

I’m going to cry a little bit. But my hours are way under that. I do about 45 a week for ~ 140k/yr plus benefits. If it’s a bad year, that can swing it down to 120k.
See, you may have to work for it but a lot more for actual work I imagine.

Furry depending on the exact job title/grade may make bananas close to you as a Fed, or could be making peasant money. For us it's always funny sometimes watching 35k/year feds try to look down on us and act like hot shit while their hoopty is parked next to my mid life crisis.

Stave

Potato del Grande
Yeah, I do 8 hour shifts of boredom. I'm a sole database admin. My job isn't so much to do anything but rather to be there to answer questions or to fix it if shit crashes. Thing is, it never crashes. So I just show up to work, answer a few emails a day, go to a couple meetings every week, and then just sit in my office and play on my personal gaming laptop on my phone's hotspot the rest of the time. Pay aint the greatest but benefits rock and it's decent enough to live comfortably in my area.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Stave

Potato del Grande
This article is dumb

valve wasn’t trying to recreate the switch with this
Yeah you can really tell who the Nintendo fanboys are by some of the articles. It's like they are offended that the Steam Deck even exists. The Steam Deck isn't trying to be a Switch. It's a handheld machine that lets you play your PC games and Steam library on the go, without having to buy or lug around a gaming laptop. It's also a decent entry for beginners into the world of PC gaming. $400 and they can have a machine that will play PC games, give them access to the cheaper PC game libraries, and even dock to play it like a PC.

Once people start showing off what they can do with this thing, it's going to really take off I think. The fact that it should be able to play Switch Games at high performance is going to blow them out of the water alone. Not to mention PS1, PS2, PS3?, Wii, Gamecube, 3DS, Xbox, and all the other consoles it will be able to emulate. And then the giant library of games, that you don't need to re-buy if you already own, or you can buy older games for a buck or two instead of having to buy a new switch edition of the same game for $40-$60. And then you'll have your Xbox Game Pass games as well.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
they are offended because its a cool toy for older men with disposable income

i'll buy it, download a bunch of shit to it, play like RDR 2 once because i can and then never turn it on again

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The fact that it should be able to play Switch Games at high performance
Even 6-12 months from now I'd be a bit skeptical about Ryujinx or Yuzu running Switch games at "high performance" on fairly low-end AMD hardware.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Once people start showing off what they can do with this thing, it's going to really take off I think.
That's also a big reason I'm okay with mine being 4-5 months after the first ones. Figuring out the cool things you can do also happens to coincide with finding out the things that got fucked up ala red ring of doom.

Stave

Potato del Grande
Even 6-12 months from now I'd be a bit skeptical about Ryujinx or Yuzu running Switch games at "high performance" on fairly low-end AMD hardware.
Hard to say for sure until people get it in their hands. This article compares it to a 2400G which has a 10% higher boost but lower IPC, and it handled switch games well as old as a year ago on older versions of the emulators. I wouldn't be surprised though if it could handle most of the exclusive switch games at 720p at playable framerates.